Apple Accidentally Allowed Downgrades All the Way Back to iOS 6 Early Today

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 11, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

Apple has quickly corrected a mistake that allowed iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch users to downgrade to older software versions on early Thursday.

The situation began on late Wednesday when Apple suddenly stopped signing all iOS versions for select devices, including the iPhone 4s and some very old iPad and iPod touch models, according to the website

Next, it appears that when Apple went to flip the switch back on, it accidentally began signing several older software versions between iOS 6 and iOS 11.1.2 for any compatible iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch models.

Apple routinely stops signing older iOS versions, which effectively closes the window on downgrading. The company stopped signing iOS 11.1.2 in December, for example, while many older versions haven't been signed in years. Yet, suddenly, users found themselves able to downgrade to over five year old software.

Many users turned to Reddit to discuss the bizarre turn of events, which transpired briefly during the early morning hours in the United States.
    While some users rushed to downgrade for the nostalgic factor, the mishap provided others with an iPhone 6 or newer a brief opportunity to revert to iOS versions that aren't affected by Apple's power management changes introduced in iOS 10.2.1 and/or iOS versions that have a publicly released jailbreak.

Apple has yet to comment on the matter.

Article Link: Apple Accidentally Allowed Downgrades All the Way Back to iOS 6 Early Today
  2. Strelok macrumors 6502a

Jun 6, 2017
    United States
    The only problem is that some of these wouldn't allow activation I think. My iPhone 5 is currently on iOS 8.4.1 but it won't activate.
  3. scrapesleon, Jan 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2018

scrapesleon macrumors 6502

Mar 30, 2017
    confusion in the Apple camp n.b they Deliberately turn it on
  4. MacFather macrumors 6502a

Mar 16, 2012
  5. JackieInCo macrumors 601

Jul 18, 2013
    The only device that I still have that Apple accidentally allowed downgrades early this morning for was my 5S. I could have downgraded from iOS 8 and below, but why? It's getting hard to find apps for those early OS versions and I sure wouldn't downgrade my 5S just to jailbreak. I still have a 6+, 6S+ and an iPad Mini 2 jailbroken so there's no point to downgrade my 5S.

I went to bed at about 5AM and those firmwares were still being signed. They didn't start signing older versions for my 6S+ and 7+ or 6S. I didn't check the iPad versions.

My 5S is on 10.3.1.
  6. MyMacintosh macrumors regular

Aug 10, 2012
    Is there internal conflict good on at Apple? So much weird random stuff going on lately.
  7. whooleytoo macrumors 603

Aug 2, 2002
    Cork, Ireland.
    Funny to see people rush to downgrade.

I was on 8, and upgraded to 11 recently. The only reason I upgraded: lots of apps no longer supported 8, and Apple wouldn't allow me to upgrade to 9, so it was stay on 8 with broken apps or upgrade to 11.

It wasn't as painful as previous upgrades, but the performance is still noticeably worse than on 8. It's a pity we have to take a performance hit just to keep our apps running.
  8. xflashx macrumors regular

Aug 12, 2016
  9. Mjmar macrumors 65816

May 20, 2008
  10. btrach144 macrumors 65816

Aug 28, 2015
    Apple: "90% of users are on iOS 11 and loving it!"
    Users: "Not really, it's full of bugs and hidden piss poor power management."
    *signs all versions of iOS back to iOS 6*
    Users: "Quick, revert our phones!!!"
  11. iOSUser7 macrumors 6502a

Jun 23, 2014
    Any device that have been upgraded or activated on iOS 10 can’t activate on any other previous iOS version (i.e. iOS 6,7,8,9). This doesn’t apply for people that go from iOS 11 to iOS 10 (although it’s too late to do that now).

Anyway, to be able to activate your device on 8.4.1 (even if you have been on iOS 10) you must change your MAC Address to a different one (a valid one, don’t imput some random numbers), check the r/jailbreak subreddit there are a lot of tutorials on how to do that. It’s not too late for you because iOS 10.3.3 is already jailbroken and your iPhone 5 can’t go past that version. And before you ask, yes I did this on my personal iPhone 5 and went from 10.3.3 to 8.4.1 perfectly fine.
  12. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

Jul 12, 2016
    I could never downgrade back to iOS 6. Granted no version of iOS is perfect, iOS has come a long way since iOS 6. I would gladly use iOS 11 today and be grateful for all the improvements over time.
  13. esmith512 macrumors newbie

May 13, 2016
    It's nice to see the iOS UI attractive again! Apple has attractive phones right up to the moment the screen lights up. Its like a pretty girl with bad teeth.
  14. Strelok macrumors 6502a

Jun 6, 2017
    United States
    Try using an iPad 2 on iOS 9. Crashes and lag. If you just browse the web and watch movies it’s fine. Now my daily? Heck no, I would never run iOS 6 on it or older iOS versions. But on a secondary device that maybe doesn’t need to perform all the functions of my daily, heck yes.
  15. vicviper789 macrumors member

Jun 5, 2013
    I can't wait to see those iOS install percentage charts they use now
  16. iOSUser7 macrumors 6502a

Jun 23, 2014
    And boy you are right! I had an iPhone 5 on iOS 6 that I was using for backup 6 months ago and man it’s so painful to use, even for basic things like browsing the web. I can understand the nostalgia factor from many people here that wish they were still on iOS 6 but I can guarantee you that nobody would use that outdated version as their daily driver for even more than a month today.
  17. Localcelebrity macrumors newbie

Feb 10, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Man, if only I had known I would have downgraded few of my older devices to 9 or 10.
  18. nexu macrumors newbie

Feb 24, 2017
  19. ignatius345 macrumors 6502a

Aug 20, 2015
    Oh man, I would gladly have downgraded my iPod Touch to iOS 9 which it worked wonderfully on.
  20. bsbeamer macrumors 6502a

Sep 19, 2012
    was this an accidental gift to some forensic analysist to keep another investigation out of the news?
  21. Sovon Halder macrumors regular

Sovon Halder

Dec 3, 2016
  22. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

Oct 15, 2003
    The soggy side of the Pacific NW
    If I'd known about this when it was happening, I'd have dropped my iPad Mini 4 back down to iOS 10.
  23. _Refurbished_, Jan 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2018

_Refurbished_ macrumors 68000

Mar 23, 2007
    I would've loved having my iPad Air back on iOS 7. iOS 9.3.3 is a bit wonky. Wouldn't even dream about putting iOS 10 or 11 on it. That's iPad suicide.

Somewhere in Cupertino, a man or woman is being fired in an all glass room with no seams.
  24. itsmilo macrumors 68000

Sep 15, 2016
    The EU should force them to make this mandatory tbh. Id love to go back to whatever was signed for on my old iPhone 6
  25. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

Oct 23, 2010
    If I didn't have iOS 11 myself, I would think its a terrible OS but I haven't had many issues with it at all except for some minor bugs with the Control Center.