Apple Accidentally Allowed Downgrades All the Way Back to iOS 6 Early Today

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 11, 2018.

1. 1080p macrumors 68020

1080p

Somebody fire Tim Cook and bring back Scott Forstall (kinda like bring back Jobs in the late 90's!)

2. magicschoolbus macrumors 6502a

magicschoolbus

They were still signing 10.3 on Verizon for the 6S almost a month or two after iOS11 came out. I was able to take the virus of iOS11 off of my phone and downgrade. All people should have the opportunity to run the software that's truly the most optimized for their hardware. Not run this new apple bloatware that intentionally throttles your phone.

3. user1234 macrumors regular

user1234

And as a nice bonus you're also giving up a bunch of critical security updates by downgrading

4. thisisnotmyname macrumors 68000

thisisnotmyname

The forums should be jumping up and down with joy, they can all go back to "the good ol' days"

5. stevemiller macrumors 68000

Come on Apple just let those of us who want this have it.

Please. I vastly preferred my iPad Pro prior to iOS 11.

6. logicstudiouser macrumors 6502

logicstudiouser

iOS 6 was the best. I upgraded recently to an iOS 9 SE after my iPhone 5 got severely water damaged. Still miss it though.

7. Black Tiger macrumors 6502

Funny the rush back to the pre-iOS 7 look. I remember how so many bemoaned how the graphics looked stale, at the time, and were desperate for a new look. Be careful what you wish for?

8. Glideslope macrumors 603

Glideslope

No kidding. This is life without Scott. No thanks. :apple:

9. ikramerica macrumors regular

The old iOS versions don't throttle your phone, they just allow it to shut if with 30% battery and make you think it's broken and needs replacing...

10. aaronhead14 macrumors 6502a

aaronhead14

Apple should ALWAYS allow downgrades. It's not their right to tell me what software I can and can't install on a device that I bought and paid for.

11. drewyboy macrumors 65816

And they're sporting a huge grin because they were about to put their two weeks notice in anyways. Christmas came twice!

12. Malus120 macrumors regular

I’m curious do you actually have any devices that are throttling? It’s not always some 10-20% slow down to keep your phone stable. My less than two year old 6s would run at 911mhz (half speed) when below 80%, and sometimes lower than 600Mhz when below 20%. It could be crippling at times, and IMHO if the tolerances for voltage and clockspeed are really that tight Apple needs to rethink how they design their cpu/batteries.

Anyway the correct answer here was/is to make the “fix” opt in, or at the very least opt out, with a clear explanation of the consequences of both choices.

As for signing old versions, Apple should just let people run the version they want to run...

13. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

Who sits around and "finds" this stuff??? Don't they anything better to do than "let's see if I can downgrade iOS three or four versions back for the heck of it tonight"???

14. kissmo macrumors 6502a

yeah. I wanted to downgrade a spare iphone 4s to ios 8.......:(((

15. MH01 Suspended

MH01

Device you are running today , cannot run iOS 6, or downgrade to iOS 6. That is not the point of this story.

16. Fiachers macrumors member

iOS 11 has completely ruined my iPhone 6 and it is driving me insane. I tried copying and pasting links from the address bar in Safari to Notes last night, and each time I'd switch to Notes, it would freeze for like 20+ seconds, and crashed on two occasions. Same for many other apps.

It simply wasn't like this on iOS 10.

17. Relentless Power, Jan 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2018

Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

@MH01 Your Point is entirely moot and irrelevant. I never even iterated what type of device I am using today. I Commented strictly on iOS 11 experience. For all you know, I could have an iPhone 4s or older model iPod that would been compatible iOS 6 that I was able to downgrade successfully in comparison to a newer device that I am also using with iOS 11 , which I never commented on either way. Perhaps take your time re-reading the post before moving the goal posts.

18. Jonnoy macrumors newbie

Great, downgraded my 4S! Have been wanting to have the nostalgia around!

19. zachcsnyder macrumors member

Wish I would’ve known, so I could’ve installed a version that actually works. Replacing my iPhone X with an SE running iOS 10 was one of the best decisions I’ve made. Don’t really care how nice the X hardware is when it crashes during important phone calls. It’s much more useful as a paperweight.

20. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

Those were two different groups of people. I remember early complaints about how iOS 7 looked during the beta. Defenders claimed that any complaints about a beta were premature since it wasn't the finished product. Once iOS 7 was released, there were those who defended the fresh new look and accused those of us who preferred iOS 6 of being fearful of change.

I guess it is possible that since then, some who preferred the new look no longer do, and those who didn't, now do.

Ack, I missed out. :( I have an old iPhone 4 that sees daily use as a music player in my living room that I would've loved to have put back to iOS 6.

21. rafark macrumors 6502a

rafark

Wrong. Last year I was using ios 5 every day. Wasn't impressive but it did the job.

22. Fiachers macrumors member

I've got used to much of the iOS 7+ design, and to me in bright sunlight with the display at 100% brightness it looks attractively colourful and vivid, but I still think the Mail and Settings icons are ugly as sin.

23. MH01 Suspended

MH01

You cannot compare hardware running iOS 6 to iOS 11, it does not exist .

You can't downgrade from iOS 11 to iOS 6. Silly statement ! Moot and irrelevant as you put it. Fail to see what an iPhone 4S or iPod have to do with iOS 11. Don't worry about logic, just make stuff up eh ;) and if some one pulls you up on it , get offensive ? Same old same old. Yawn

24. rafark macrumors 6502a

rafark

Wonder what's so critical about your ordinary phone data.....

25. nviz22 macrumors 601

nviz22

Apple trying to help with throttling haha?