Apple Acknowledges Siri Leadership Has Officially Moved From Eddy Cue to Craig Federighi

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 1, 2017.

1. Defthand macrumors 65816

Not quite. Cook signed off on the product but patents pertaining to wireless earbuds were filed as early as 2012. So development was already underway when Jobs was at the helm.

Ah! Yes, the watch probably is a Cook-era development, even though rumors were circulating in 2011 about an Apple wearable, when Google was working on their ill-fated glasses.

2. PseudoRegister macrumors newbie

PseudoRegister

Proving that crash-prone, unusable bloatware isn't the exclusive domain of Microsoft? (I'm looking at you, iTunes.)

3. albebaubles, Sep 6, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2017

albebaubles macrumors 6502

albebaubles

I think Steve passed before 2012.

4. Defthand macrumors 65816

"Development" may be an exaggeration. Nonetheless, someone was thinking about the potential before Cook's term. And as you state, the conceptualization can happen long before the feature or product is approved for development and market. Given Apple's conservative pace, it's highly likely that Jobs endorsed the goal when the earliest patents were applied for. Was likely one of the products in the "five year pipeline" that Cook inherited.

Yes, I make assumptions--assumptions that typically prove correct. Unless you can offer personal knowledge to dispute my assumptions, your counterpoints are no more informed.

5. albebaubles macrumors 6502

albebaubles

So then....do you give Jobs credit for the trashcan too?
    --- Post Merged, Sep 6, 2017 ---
    Jobs was gone before 2012.

6. urbanslaughter1997 macrumors regular

That's why I hooked it up to some great sounding speakers I already had. I find it alarming that you say, "consumers will appreciate great sounding speakers long after they've stopped using the assistant feature." I think the assistant feature, something that can be updated with firmware, should certainly outlast the speakers themselves.

7. Karma*Police macrumors 68000

A lot of people have already given up on Echo... There's a reason why Echo is called the world's most expensive alarm clock. Even commentators on Twit that pushed Echo so hard now admit they rarely use it. If it had a great speaker, those people would still be using it just for that, is what I meant. Heck, I'd still own one if it did.

That's why Apple's move to position HomePod as a great speaker first and an assistant second seems like a very smart move.

8. 0958400 Suspended

Bring back Forstall, they need more people for all those projects. He may have been a pain, but he delivered more often than not.

9. pika2000 macrumors 603

This again?
    Forstall couldn't work with everybody, so either he left or everybody else left, thus he left. Forstall will always "lose" as Ive will always supersedes him (wonder why Rubinstein and Fadell left?). Ive already got Jobs' blessing of power. For Forstall to come back, Ive would have to leave, and that will never happen anytime soon.

10. George Dawes macrumors 6502a

George Dawes

I use Siri to tell me the time , then again my Quadra 840av from 1994 could do the same thing too... and give me the date as well

Progress eh ?

11. 0958400, Sep 6, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2018

0958400 Suspended

Why not "this again"?

I agree, Forstall would lose against Ive.

But is Ive still there? Have you seen anything great from him in the past years since Jobs left?
    Jobs was a pain too, and he managed a great company. Additionally, Forstall had Job's blessing, too.

Jobs kept the competition going which was good for Apple's products and its customers (granted probably not for his employees), but if everybody agrees mediocrity takes hold and that is what keeps Apple back these days.

12. pika2000 macrumors 603

LOL. Are you joking?
    Jobs may like Forstall, but Ive is at Apple's pedestal, whether you like it or not. Jobs pretty much gave Ive's design team complete freedom (and power), and often times, Jobs would side with Ive's team. A great example was the antennagate of the iPhone 4. Apple, which means Jobs, knew about the flaw of the design, but sided with Ive anyway to go with it. The rest is history.

13. George Dawes macrumors 6502a

George Dawes

Cook stabbed Scott in the back , that's for sure.

Scott was Steve's chosen one

Time will tell..