Apple Acknowledges Siri Leadership Has Officially Moved From Eddy Cue to Craig Federighi

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 1, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple has updated its executive leadership page to acknowledge that software engineering chief Craig Federighi now officially oversees development of Siri. The responsibility previously belonged to Apple's services chief Eddy Cue.

[​IMG]
    Apple's leadership page is only now reflecting Federighi's role as head of Siri, but the transition has been apparent for several months, based on recent interviews and stage appearances at Apple's keynotes.

At WWDC 2016, for example, Federighi and Apple marketing chief Phil Schiller joined Daring Fireball's John Gruber to discuss how Apple was opening Siri up to third-party developers with SiriKit later that year.

At WWDC 2017, Federighi was on stage to discuss improvements to Siri in iOS 11, including more natural voice, built-in translation capabilities, and advances in machine learning and artificial intelligence.

Cue continues to oversee the iTunes Store, Apple Music, Apple Pay, Apple Maps, iCloud, and the iWork and iLife suites of apps, and handing off Siri should allow him to focus more on Apple's push into original content.

Apple's updated leadership page also now lists profiles for recently promoted employees Deirdre O'Brien, Vice President of People, and Isabel Ge Mahe, Vice President and Managing Director of Greater China.

Article Link: Apple Acknowledges Siri Leadership Has Officially Moved From Eddy Cue to Craig Federighi

2. topgunn macrumors 65816

topgunn

The more leadership Apple can move from Eddy to Craig the better.

3. jam3andy macrumors newbie

Serious question, no sarcasm intended - what's Cue's biggest accomplishments in last 18-24 months?

4. nexesnex macrumors regular

I really hope this helps improve SIRI. I think it was a good decision by apple!

5. Santabean2000 macrumors 68000

Santabean2000

6. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

Siri has been a disaster compared to the competition, this was overdue

7. Mascots macrumors 65832

Mascots

Should have been under Federighi for awhile now. Good move.

8. canesalato macrumors 6502a

canesalato

I would say “the more leadership Apple can move away from Eddy Cue, the better”.
    Please,
    iCloud next!

9. jjhny, Sep 1, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2017

jjhny macrumors regular

jjhny

It says Cue was responsible for the iTunes Store and Apple Maps software.

The iTunes store, where it is next to impossible to find anything (horrible search functions), and Apple Maps, where it was badly implemented from the start.

I think Craig has a better track record.

10. Brookzy macrumors 601

Brookzy

Time for Eddy Cue to be shown the door. Too much ego, too little substance.

11. nexesnex macrumors regular

If Eddy was responsible for Planet of the Apps and Car Talk Karaoke, keeping him on for original content is really a disappointment.

12. iLoveDeveloping macrumors 6502

Good cue is a bloated overpaid douch.. So he is over Apple Music iTunes Store, maps... So in other words everything that now sucks at apple and needs to be better? Seriously fire him, I'd rather have Scott back than that grandad trying to get down with the kids! How utterly embarrassing he is to Apple

13. RCS31 macrumors 6502

RCS31

Looking for a place of freedom and rationality
  14. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

15. MrGuder macrumors 68020

Good now please get rid of...
    "I'm sorry but I didn't understand that...would you like me to search the web for...

16. nexesnex macrumors regular

Agreed!

17. MacFather macrumors 6502a

MacFather

Cue was promoted to the SVP role by Cook just one week after Steve Jobs's resignation.

https://www.macrumors.com/2011/09/0...president-for-internet-software-and-services/

18. berrymetal macrumors regular

berrymetal

19. cesko macrumors member

Let me buy you a beer, this could take a while.

20. WBRacing macrumors 6502a

WBRacing

Wow, there are going to be some very pleased people here on MR today!

I wonder how that conversation went.

21. Scottsoapbox macrumors 6502a

Scottsoapbox

Now maybe we can move Siri's development from that one intern in the basement to a large team of skilled programmers?

22. bgraham macrumors regular

Eddie is wasting time and money with crappy shows no one's gonna watch instead of actually making compelling services.

23. imac ios x macrumors newbie

Inbefore siri gets just as funny as Craigh is, or good looking (his hair)

24. nexesnex macrumors regular

Maybe Craig will change the name of Siri to "Siri High"... or, "Siri is always High" thus the reason Siri doesn't work that great....

25. kingtj macrumors 68020

I'm not sure how effective Craig will be either, if they keep handing everything to him? But he's clearly good at his job, unlike Eddie Cue - who nobody seems quite sure of.

I mean, as an "outsider" who is just armchair speculating (like most of us), there are obviously things I don't know about. There's probably a lot of nonsense you have to juggle on a daily basis just to keep things like iTunes chugging along. (Think of all the record company contracts and special arrangements for various things getting featured on the store that you have to manage and keep up with.) Maybe Cue does all of this pretty well and it's a job nobody else at Apple really looks forward to messing with?

But at least from his Keynote stage presence and the overall sense of who leads what new initiatives at Apple over time? Cue just seems like a slimy used-car salesman personality, and never gets sole credit for anything substantial that comes along.