Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

034306-lala_logo_lastone.png

Lala.com has announced that they will be shutting down their service as of May 31, 2010. Lala is a streaming music service that was acquired by Apple in December, 2009.

Lala was a four year old startup company that offered customers streaming music over the internet. This allowed users to listen to a catalog of over 7 million songs for free as a stream over the web -- much like internet radio. If you wanted to buy the right to listen to a particular song on demand an unlimited amount of times from the web, it would cost $.10. In order to permanently download the song to your hard drive or device, however, it would cost the more traditional $.79-$.89 per song.

Some had speculated that Apple would leverage the talent and technology to offer a similar "cloud-based" iTunes service. It was believed that Apple would introduce a version of iTunes that offered streaming music and possibly video services to users. Apple is presumably shutting down Lala to devote resources on its own plans.

Article Link: Apple Acquired Lala Music Service to Shut Down May 31st

LoganT

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2007
May 31 is right before WWDC, could be a streaming music announcement at WWDC.

Craiglorocks

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2010
I am still trying to see how this works well overall for all parties. Americans love free. Why pay Apple for per song streaming when there will always be another option. Once Lala music goes down people with just wait for the next Lala and use Pandora or another service in the meantime.

Maybe I am a little old fashioned, but I want a physical copy of my music. My Ipod and CD player still work while server service is occurring. My Ipod still plays music when ATT DSL at work goes offline (yes they suck at wired and wireless where i live). Power outages dont stop my charged Ipod.

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
I am still trying to see how this works well overall for all parties. Americans love free. Why pay Apple for per song streaming when there will always be another option. Once Lala music goes down people with just wait for the next Lala and use Pandora or another service in the meantime.

Maybe I am a little old fashioned, but I want a physical copy of my music. My Ipod and CD player still work while server service is occurring. My Ipod still plays music when ATT DSL at work goes offline (yes they suck at wired and wireless where i live). Power outages dont stop my charged Ipod.

This is just me writing about an idea, no basis in truth (though I hope people can see where Im coming from)

Within iTunes is the option to use Apple Genius. This 'knows' all the songs within your iTunes library. Say if Apple could use this data so you can stream a copy of a song you own on iTunes from a centralised Apple server (a copy of each song is held by Apple). This removes the need for large capacity iPhones/ iPod Touches/ iPads. Just a thought, but would seem like a natural evolution.

MacQuest

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2003
You See Dead People...

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I used Lala for a while, and it was good while it lasted. Unfortunately it became restricted to the US a while ago, so I had to stop using it. If Apple does "relaunch" it, I hope that it's available everywhere that iTunes is.

kirky29

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2009
Lincolnshire, England
I never understood what LaLa was?

Was it just an American version of Spotify, what we UK users have?
Spotify is fantastic over here. I never got to try LaLa.

I'd love to have something that I can 'social network' my Music with friends etc. I don't know many people over here in the UK that like my Music, whereas most my American Friends and Contacts do... Theres lots of software that does this, just because of 'Copyright Restrictions' I can never use them with Americans!

I think the UK & most of Europe should be able to view American material, and the same for you guys!

haruhiko

macrumors 603
Sep 29, 2009
I used Lala for a while, and it was good while it lasted. Unfortunately it became restricted to the US a while ago, so I had to stop using it. If Apple does "relaunch" it, I hope that it's available everywhere that iTunes is.

No, iTunes store is not really everywhere.

nhexima

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2007
Lala started off as a used CD trading service, and eventually became an MP3 selling digital store like iTunes, Amazon's mp3 store, or 7digital. The unique thing they had going was that they not only sold mp3s, but the rights for online streaming only for a very reduced price (for example, 1.20 for streaming from lala.com vs. $8 for the mp3s). There was also some kind of thing where you could upload your iTunes library and it would figure out what you owned and added it to your streaming Lala library, but I never tried it. Too bad about this, their prices usually beat Amazon's.

scottparker999

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2009
I never understood what LaLa was?

Was it just an American version of Spotify, what we UK users have?
Spotify is fantastic over here. I never got to try LaLa.

I'd love to have something that I can 'social network' my Music with friends etc. I don't know many people over here in the UK that like my Music, whereas most my American Friends and Contacts do... Theres lots of software that does this, just because of 'Copyright Restrictions' I can never use them with Americans!

I think the UK & most of Europe should be able to view American material, and the same for you guys!

I prefer last.fm over Spotify. It operates as a tailored ad-free radio station, using your personal listening habits or preselcted artist as a basis. It has a social networking aspect to it also (although i havent really used it much).

My biggest gripe with last.fm - that since December when i played a christmas songs cd through a couple of times - it keeps playing them every-so-often, as it thinks i like them. It would be nice if it understood that they are really only appropriate at christmas.

Within iTunes is the option to use Apple Genius. This 'knows' all the songs within your iTunes library. Say if Apple could use this data so you can stream a copy of a song you own on iTunes from a centralised Apple server (a copy of each song is held by Apple). This removes the need for large capacity iPhones/ iPod Touches/ iPads. Just a thought, but would seem like a natural evolution.

This seems likely. It would be good to use on your iPhone/iTouch, or perhaps even your laptop if you keep your music on a desktop or external hard drive. Although i would prefer they fixed the poor performance of itunes instead of bloating it further!

gavd

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2006

No, iTunes store is not really everywhere.

They didn't say it was. Only that if Apple launched something that it should be available everywhere iTunes is.

Tones2

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
I'd love a streaming service with the full catalogue of iTunes music available. I'm on Rhapsody now, and the selection is terrible.

I mainly PURCHASE and download most of my songs from iTunes. However, I like to listen to things I don't necessarily want to own, or preview new artists (for longer than 30 seconds per song) before buying, and it's worth the $10 per month to do that. :)

Tony

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.