Apple Acquires Wireless Charging Company PowerbyProxi

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 24, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple recently purchased PowerbyProxi, a company that designs wireless power solutions, reports New Zealand website Stuff. Apple's senior vice president of hardware engineering Dan Riccio told Stuff that the PowerbyProxi team will be a "great addition as Apple works to create a wireless future."

"We want to bring truly effortless charging to more places and more customers around the world," Riccio added.

[​IMG]

PowerbyProxi was founded in 2007 to develop wireless charging technology that lets people charge smartphones and other devices without requiring a cord. PowerbyProxi has developed the Proxi-Module, a modular wireless power system that can adapt and integrate into a wide variety of products and situations, delivering up to 100 watts of power to devices like drones and robots.

The Proxi-Module, which features a modular, waterproof design that lets it adapt to a range of use cases, is said to offer the highest power density of any solution on the market with an end to end efficiency of 91 percent, offering "unprecedented performance" with reduced power and heat losses.

PowerbyProxi has also been working on the development of the Wireless Power Consortium's future Qi wireless charging standard and has received accolades and funding for its work. Apple is also a member of the Wireless Power Consortium as of February 2017.

In a statement, PowerbyProxi founder Fady Mishriki said his team is "thrilled" to be joining Apple.
    Apple in September unveiled the iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, and iPhone X, and all three new devices are equipped with Qi-based wireless charging capabilities that allow them to charge from Qi-certified wireless chargers.

Apple is already developing its own wireless charging mat that can charge the iPhone, the Apple Watch, and the AirPods at the same time, and with the addition of PowerbyProxi, Apple could expand into a range of other charging accessories for both home and retail use.

It's not clear how much Apple paid to purchase PowerbyProxi, nor did Dan Riccio elaborate on how the PowerbyProxi technology will be used by Apple in the future.

Article Link: Apple Acquires Wireless Charging Company PowerbyProxi

2. teamd, Oct 24, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2017

teamd macrumors newbie

3. dstart macrumors member

Not that the iPhone would draw anywhere near the maximum rated power output of that module but 100 watts of continuous power with 91% efficiency.. so 9 watts is lost to heat and electromagnetic noise.. wouldn't that create a lot of interference?

4. Lazy macrumors 6502

Huh?

5. FellaMeLad macrumors regular

FellaMeLad

Strange how this didn't come under the category of "Apple buys smaller technology companies from time to time, and we generally do not discuss our purpose or plans..." that we normally hear from Apple reps...

6. 69Mustang macrumors 604

69Mustang

That sound you hear is the scrape of the chair leg as Energous kicks it out from underneath itself. Or it could be the sizzle of the plugged in toaster as they drop it in the tub filled with water... an them. Either way, they're going to need to name that mysterious big customer or stop blowing smoke up investor's butts.

7. imaginex20 macrumors 65816

imaginex20

I am getting smoked on WATT :(

8. deany macrumors 68030

deany

Aaaaaah!
    IMG_1069.JPG
    Not again!, give me a break, please!

9. tromboneaholic Suspended

tromboneaholic

Incandescent bulbs are only 5% efficient. Although most of the loss is heat, they don’t seem to interfere with the iPhone. I suspect the bulky housings for these products help deal with some of the electromagnetic noise, but I’m not an engineer...

10. scrapesleon macrumors 6502a

scrapesleon

Well only that company charger will be able to charge Apple gadgets in the future

11. powaking macrumors 6502

powaking

Is this tech going to land in the Powermat that they are releasing next year? I would htink they would include both this tech and the Qi tech?

12. Vanilla35 macrumors 68040

Vanilla35

Meanwhile Apple's calculator doesn't know 1+2+3

13. 69Mustang macrumors 604

69Mustang

Sincerely sorry to hear that. Also sincerely curious what made you invest. They didn't seem a little "over promisey guaranteed to under deliver" to you? I mean they could still deliver, but I just get a GT Advance vibe from that company.

14. maverick2007 macrumors regular

Nice! You will see more and more apple buying company as they do not have innovation left, you are seeing iphone iterations that are getting backfired. How much Apple can fool people with iterative iphone cycles? For me Apple is dead unless they buy more companies like this who innovated something useful. Which is fair as Steve jobs is no more.

15. HobeSoundDarryl, Oct 24, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2017

HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 604

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    Anyone else smell an Apple-branded proprietary wireless charging product coming soon? Something like "charges <modestly>% faster" and/or maybe "thinnest" pad for about 1.5-2X comparable product pricing?

No complaints about Apple becoming a new competitor but hopefully my nose is wrong and the end result is some great Apple design adhering to an industry standard... instead of adding another thing to the overall weight of the travel bag.

16. imaginex20 macrumors 65816

imaginex20

I was in the profit. Bought it off hype after the iphone event. Didn’t put a stop in.

17. 69Mustang macrumors 604

69Mustang

Powerbyproxi's tech is based on the Qi standard. Apple might make it proprietary like they did on the charger for the original Apple watch, which was also Qi.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 24, 2017 ---
    Ouch. Hopefully it didn't hitcha too hard.

18. HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 604

HobeSoundDarryl

Be patient. The ADF will claim that 1+2+3 does indeed equal 24 within a few hours. Apple cannot ever be wrong. So the math HAS BEEN for all these years. ;)

19. Tubamajuba macrumors 68020

Ah yes, that calculator bug- the end of civilization as we know it.

20. HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 604

HobeSoundDarryl

Just a joke man. Just a joke. Note the wink at the end.

21. Aleks65 macrumors member

For what it's worth, their website has a number of FCC certified products.

22. code-m macrumors 65816

code-m

Qi charging I believe at present offers a maximum of 15W charging capacity, however if Apple is looking to charge multiple portable devices, iPhone, AW, AirPods + Case, Apple Pencil (possibly) and the iPad/Pro that will require more than 15W charging ability.

Maybe Apple will create some hybrid form or adaptive to what device is placed on the AirPower base. This will lower the power draw when the AirPods are placed and will increase incrementally if more devices are added as to not place any device charging time at a disadfdvantage. Maybe also AirPower rapid charge, looking forward to it.

Imagine an iPad Pro, without a lightening power, Dust/Water/Splash resistant, thinner, lighter and 12h battery life with minimal bezels. Or additional space to store the Apple Pencil within the iPad Pro shell.

23. joekun macrumors regular

I have zero interest in wireless charging mats (and I own an iPhone 8+). Let me know when we have true short range wireless charging. If I have to plug in a mat, I may as well just plug in the phone instead.

24. dampfnudel macrumors 68040

What about ranged wireless/contactless charging? Some of us thought Apple would leapfrog everyone either this year or next when it came to charging. It seems to be all about catching up and putting a new coat of paint over it.

25. riverfreak macrumors 65816

riverfreak

Weird. Seems extraordinarily useful to me. Get in the car, set your phone in the console with a built in charging mat. Have a charging mat by your bed. Drop your watch, phone, and AirPods on it. Maybe have one by your desk. Have to set your phone down anyways, might as well not have to plug it in.

So you had to plug in three mats, one time, versus three devices multiple times a day.