Apple Acquires Wireless Charging Company PowerbyProxi

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple recently purchased PowerbyProxi, a company that designs wireless power solutions, reports New Zealand website Stuff. Apple's senior vice president of hardware engineering Dan Riccio told Stuff that the PowerbyProxi team will be a "great addition as Apple works to create a wireless future."

"We want to bring truly effortless charging to more places and more customers around the world," Riccio added.

PowerbyProxi was founded in 2007 to develop wireless charging technology that lets people charge smartphones and other devices without requiring a cord. PowerbyProxi has developed the Proxi-Module, a modular wireless power system that can adapt and integrate into a wide variety of products and situations, delivering up to 100 watts of power to devices like drones and robots.

The Proxi-Module, which features a modular, waterproof design that lets it adapt to a range of use cases, is said to offer the highest power density of any solution on the market with an end to end efficiency of 91 percent, offering "unprecedented performance" with reduced power and heat losses.

PowerbyProxi has also been working on the development of the Wireless Power Consortium's future Qi wireless charging standard and has received accolades and funding for its work. Apple is also a member of the Wireless Power Consortium as of February 2017.

In a statement, PowerbyProxi founder Fady Mishriki said his team is "thrilled" to be joining Apple.
"The team and I are thrilled to join Apple. There is tremendous alignment with our values, and we are excited to continue our growth in Auckland and contribute to the great innovation in wireless charging coming out of New Zealand."
Apple in September unveiled the iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, and iPhone X, and all three new devices are equipped with Qi-based wireless charging capabilities that allow them to charge from Qi-certified wireless chargers.

Apple is already developing its own wireless charging mat that can charge the iPhone, the Apple Watch, and the AirPods at the same time, and with the addition of PowerbyProxi, Apple could expand into a range of other charging accessories for both home and retail use.

It's not clear how much Apple paid to purchase PowerbyProxi, nor did Dan Riccio elaborate on how the PowerbyProxi technology will be used by Apple in the future.

Article Link: Apple Acquires Wireless Charging Company PowerbyProxi

dstart

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2010
Not that the iPhone would draw anywhere near the maximum rated power output of that module but 100 watts of continuous power with 91% efficiency.. so 9 watts is lost to heat and electromagnetic noise.. wouldn't that create a lot of interference?

imaginex20

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2009
That sound you hear is the scrape of the chair leg as Energous kicks it out from underneath itself. Or it could be the sizzle of the plugged in toaster as they drop it in the tub filled with water... an them. Either way, they're going to need to name that mysterious big customer or stop blowing smoke up investor's butts.
I am getting smoked on WATT :(

tromboneaholic

Suspended
Jun 9, 2004
Clearwater, FL
Not that the iPhone would draw anywhere near the maximum rated power output of that module but 100 watts of continuous power with 91% efficiency.. so 9 watts is lost to heat and electromagnetic noise.. wouldn't that create a lot of interference?
Incandescent bulbs are only 5% efficient. Although most of the loss is heat, they don’t seem to interfere with the iPhone. I suspect the bulky housings for these products help deal with some of the electromagnetic noise, but I’m not an engineer...

powaking

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2008
Is this tech going to land in the Powermat that they are releasing next year? I would htink they would include both this tech and the Qi tech?

maverick2007

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2014
Nice! You will see more and more apple buying company as they do not have innovation left, you are seeing iphone iterations that are getting backfired. How much Apple can fool people with iterative iphone cycles? For me Apple is dead unless they buy more companies like this who innovated something useful. Which is fair as Steve jobs is no more.

Anyone else smell an Apple-branded proprietary wireless charging product coming soon? Something like "charges <modestly>% faster" and/or maybe "thinnest" pad for about 1.5-2X comparable product pricing?

No complaints about Apple becoming a new competitor but hopefully my nose is wrong and the end result is some great Apple design adhering to an industry standard... instead of adding another thing to the overall weight of the travel bag.

Last edited:
Reactions: PBRsg

imaginex20

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2009
Sincerely sorry to hear that. Also sincerely curious what made you invest. They didn't seem a little "over promisey guaranteed to under deliver" to you? I mean they could still deliver, but I just get a GT Advance vibe from that company.
I was in the profit. Bought it off hype after the iphone event. Didn’t put a stop in.

Reactions: 69Mustang

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
Is this tech going to land in the Powermat that they are releasing next year? I would htink they would include both this tech and the Qi tech?
Powerbyproxi's tech is based on the Qi standard. Apple might make it proprietary like they did on the charger for the original Apple watch, which was also Qi.
[doublepost=1508890182][/doublepost]
I was in the profit. Bought it off hype after the iphone event. Didn’t put a stop in.
Ouch. Hopefully it didn't hitcha too hard.

Aleks65

macrumors member
May 14, 2015
Canada

For what it's worth, their website has a number of FCC certified products.

code-m

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
Qi charging I believe at present offers a maximum of 15W charging capacity, however if Apple is looking to charge multiple portable devices, iPhone, AW, AirPods + Case, Apple Pencil (possibly) and the iPad/Pro that will require more than 15W charging ability.

Maybe Apple will create some hybrid form or adaptive to what device is placed on the AirPower base. This will lower the power draw when the AirPods are placed and will increase incrementally if more devices are added as to not place any device charging time at a disadfdvantage. Maybe also AirPower rapid charge, looking forward to it.

Imagine an iPad Pro, without a lightening power, Dust/Water/Splash resistant, thinner, lighter and 12h battery life with minimal bezels. Or additional space to store the Apple Pencil within the iPad Pro shell.

joekun

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2005
I have zero interest in wireless charging mats (and I own an iPhone 8+). Let me know when we have true short range wireless charging. If I have to plug in a mat, I may as well just plug in the phone instead.

dampfnudel

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
What about ranged wireless/contactless charging? Some of us thought Apple would leapfrog everyone either this year or next when it came to charging. It seems to be all about catching up and putting a new coat of paint over it.

riverfreak

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2005
Over the Reignbough
I have zero interest in wireless charging mats (and I own an iPhone 8+). Let me know when we have true short range wireless charging. If I have to plug in a mat, I may as well just plug in the phone instead.
Weird. Seems extraordinarily useful to me. Get in the car, set your phone in the console with a built in charging mat. Have a charging mat by your bed. Drop your watch, phone, and AirPods on it. Maybe have one by your desk. Have to set your phone down anyways, might as well not have to plug it in.

So you had to plug in three mats, one time, versus three devices multiple times a day.

Reactions: ilovemykid3302012