Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
You mean it can't do this already?

Wow!

Agreed. It's pretty ridiculous that this hasn't been a feature since the beginning (as I type this post on my iPhone in landscape view, I also wonder why I can't type in landscape in Mail as well).

I hope there is no truth to the 10 MB download size limit.

fleshman03

macrumors 68000
May 27, 2008
Sioux City, IA
Cool feature...I'm excited for it.

Limited to 10MB? Doh! Just checked...Rush 24/7 podcasts are about 12-13MB each. I bet a lot of others out there are too.

And yes...I would rate copy/paste higher than this but I'll take what I can get I guess...

I don't think I'd use c/p more than this. Of course- I have a touch, so I'm used to needing a wifi connection to use the net.

Downing podcasts while at work was the only reason I would have jailbroken my iPod Touch. Now, I don't need to.

I just think it's funny that the jailbreak community will likely figure out with another reason why I should jailbreak it again.

You shouldn't be downloading Rush anyways...... lol j/k

sammymarshy

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2008
It's no copy and paste but it's definitely something I have been asking for for a while... Anything that cuts down my need to manually sync all the time is definitely a good thing - now I'll only need to manually sync when I want to back up.

Any idea as to whether you'll be able to use the iTunes App to subscribe to new podcasts through the iTunes store?

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
Push is a waste of time, give us real back ground apps.

The title pretty mich says it all! Sooner or later Apple will need to deliver background apps simply to remain competitive. Plus one will have a lot of wasted capacity on next gen hardware. The other thing to realize is that not all back ground apps would be communications centric.

Dave

fleshman03

macrumors 68000
May 27, 2008
Sioux City, IA
The title pretty mich says it all! Sooner or later Apple will need to deliver background apps simply to remain competitive. Plus one will have a lot of wasted capacity on next gen hardware. The other thing to realize is that not all back ground apps would be communications centric.

Dave

The whole issue is power consumption. Just image if you have 2/3 apps checking for new data every 1-5 minutes. Your battery wouldn't end up lasting long. They need to find someway around that.

acedew

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2008
say there is a podcast that is updated during the day while you are at work. you want to listen to it on the commute back home but can't. until now you can because you can download the podcast locally on the iphone now. webapps like podcaster, etc. don't update as quick either

This is exactly what I do. Now I can stop emailing myself a podcast for the ride home :rolleyes:.

For those who want Copy/Paste, so do I, but not as much as WiFi Podcasts. I don't know anyone who uses the iPhone primarily to get work done...maybe checking work email, but if that's your primary purpose, I would think you'd have gotten a Blackberry or something.

Alex2287

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2008
Wow...

This podcast download thing is gonna be amazing... except the podcast I listen to (KATG) is huge.
:apple:

This is a feature that will make the iphone that much more amazing... But I can't drop the whole lack of MMS, or SMS forwarding... Simple simple things which are starting to make me regret switiching form T-Mobile to AT&T.
DOn't get me wrong, I love my iPhone and AT&T... but the G1 doesn't seem THAT bad (not to mention it would of saved me a termination fee..)

*sigh* It's all just effing frustrating....

-Alex

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Nice to see they finally fixed this. I hope it is also enabled on the iPod touch via WIFI. This was one of the only reasons I ever jailbroke my first iPod Touch.

image.php

chopdog

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2007
Fantastic News

As someone who travels for 2 weeks at a time, and carries music and movies from my home machine, WiFi podcast updates is a MASSIVELY welcome feature. I have been copying podcasts to an AirSharing folder on my iPhone (it's a great little applications) but like true updating is perfect.

Thank you :apple:

Now we can get on with the business of pestering about the lack of Flash !!! :rolleyes:

JoshHawn

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2008
Hanford/Lemoore, CA
HORRAY! finally those stupid Verizon people can shut the hell up about their V-Cast stuff.

It's been hard to convince people the iphone is a superior phone when they say you can't download music away from Wi-Fi. Also, they can stop that stupid "instinct vs iPhone" ad where it says you can't download music over wi-fi.

I can't understand why they didn't do this earlier. Why is it that you could download a 10 MB app but not a 3 MB song?

finally, apple, thanks!

Luke1robb

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2008
Cambridge, MA/Smithfield, RI
Nice eye

Is it just me or has the loading icon moved in this pic. Mine is to the left of the clock.:confused:

Or is this region specific?

If it has does it suggest it has been moved to make room for a push notification icon :cool:

Nice eye spotting that... I think we've found some proof of push notification in the next release, possibly something different than that, maybe?

e-coli

macrumors 68000
Jul 27, 2002
copy and paste!

and MMS while you're at it...seriously.

The most advanced phone on the planet can't do the most basic functions of a free pay-as-you-go phone. Ridiculous.

fleshman03

macrumors 68000
May 27, 2008
Sioux City, IA
This podcast download thing is gonna be amazing... except the podcast I listen to (KATG) is huge.
:apple:

This is a feature that will make the iphone that much more amazing... But I can't drop the whole lack of MMS, or SMS forwarding... Simple simple things which are starting to make me regret switiching form T-Mobile to AT&T.
DOn't get me wrong, I love my iPhone and AT&T... but the G1 doesn't seem THAT bad (not to mention it would of saved me a termination fee..)

*sigh* It's all just effing frustrating....

-Alex

I know how you feel. My 300+mb MSNBC news shows are going to take a while to download on wifi, but it'll be totally worth it.

Nice to see they finally fixed this. I hope it is also enabled on the iPod touch via WIFI. This was one of the only reasons I ever jailbroke my first iPod Touch.

image.php

Can't imagine a reason why it wouldn't be allowed on the iPod Touch. They are the same OS, with the touch not getting the phone app a few other back end things.

cool more features to play with... how close is this to going live?

Feeling optimistic: By Thanksgiving
Feeling pessimistic: By Christmas

burningbright

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2008
I want downloadable podcasts- my laptop HDD is smaller than my touch's capacity and if I can free up the space my laptop uses for podcasts then that's a real boon for me...

MacRumors0108

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2008
SoCal
Nice but...

Please fix the 0xE800002E error whenever I try to install application updates to my phone. This is well documented and has been going on for months now.

It is totally unacceptable that I have to resort to multi step workarounds (that still result in my losing any stored data in the app) because Apple won't fix the problem.:mad:

Stepping off of soapbox.

Cheers

Rondogg96

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

This is good news indeed. This is the one thing I wanted. I could care less about all the other missing features.

saturniphone

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2008
Why are you complaining about a feature which is clearly popular (based on this thread)? Cut and Paste would be great but this is desirable functionality too.

For some reason APPLE are unable/unwilling to deliver copy and paste. No idea why, but I dont imagine that Apple engineers are being diverted from that to this.

I guess you didn't entirely read/understand my post. There have been dozens of polls conducted that show the top feature requests. Nothing related to podcasts is anywhere near the top. And developers and other resources are 100% guaranteed to be diverted from higher demand features when they work on anything else. That is just how development, particularly software development, works.

To reiterate, I am complaining because they choose to allocate their time and resources towards features that bring in more money (e.g. - genius playlists) or are showy (e.g. - streetview) rather than the dozens upon dozens of features which are clearly more desired by their user base in general. While understandable in a corporate environment, it doesn't make me happy as customer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.