Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

travwill

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2013
They are going to take the entire building next door to Lytx, just North of San Diego city....

Pipper99

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
Hopefully, the new engineers won't venture down to Hob Knob Hill for breakfast: I don't need more competition for parking spots when I visit.

Suttree

Suspended
Jul 21, 2018
It seems like Apple is feeling the heat from Samsung's unbelieveable product line. The new Samsung phone DESTROYS the iPhone’s A chip. Johny Srouji is finished. Game over. I highly doubt any of Apple’s stupid innovations like APFS, T2, W1 will stand against Samsung. Samsung is literally building the future with the Fold. The iWatch ain’t it. It’s a gimmick, and NO, it has not saved any lives. NO.

Sasparilla

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2012
Sounds like Apple has made an internal commitment to build their own modem chips - now its time to get the expertise from the best in the business.

If that's what Apple is doing then this looks like a good plan.

It seems like Apple is feeling the heat from Samsung's unbelieveable product line. The new Samsung phone DESTROYS the iPhone’s A chip. Johny Srouji is finished. Game over. I highly doubt any of Apple’s stupid innovations like APFS, T2, W1 will stand against Samsung. Samsung is literally building the future with the Fold. The iWatch ain’t it. It’s a gimmick, and NO, it has not saved any lives. NO.

I just burst out laughing reading that - it's just rediculous. Apple doesn't have to worry about Samsung - they weren't stealing Apple's sales cause Sammy's sales were down drastically year over year as well. The world smartphone market peaked in 2016 and nearly all of Apple's decreases last year were in China (not from Sammy phone sales). Sammy has to worry about the Chinese who are stealing its sales. You must be getting paid to go to a Mac / Apple site and write this stuff, right?

Last edited:

Pootie Tang

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2017
San Diego
Well they for sure need that fat profit margin to keep paying for all those Apple Stores, I bet the rent ain't cheap and all their fondness for grandiose architecture doesn't help them either. If profits start thinning out, their brick and mortar stores will be the first to be trimmed, specially since their main competitors don't have such running costs. They urgently need a new and truly innovative line of products to keep attention and interest high.
$266 billion in revenue in 2018 off the current products and services. They’ll be fine.

techfreak23

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2013
I’m pretty sure this is going to be Apple’s new Modem research facility. Pretty easy conclusion considering they are setting up shop on Qualcomm’s doorstep...

Reactions: Sasparilla

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Hopefully, they will be hired based on ability and experience (i.e. they are hiring the best and not based on a quota).

Seems Apple has a decent track history of a recruitment staging process, where they really do try to find some more suitable/experienced employees for ‘said’ positions. What I think happens long term, sometimes the workload can be great for these employees working under Apples pressure and stringent policies, where they turn either ‘burn out’ or migrate somewhere else that has a less stressful environment.

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
Tip of my cap to Apple and Mr. Cook for creating an additional 1,200 jobs. And in California, whose economy and $2.7 trillion GDP is currently ranked 5th in the world (if California were a sovereign nation).

KPandian1

macrumors 65816
Oct 22, 2013
I wonder why they picked San Diego for a new engineering hub. Must be the weather.

If the idea is to poach QC employees, it is better to fish and land them in the same place. The cost of them all moving to a different part of California will be expensive, housing market. The disruption of schooling for the family will be near zero, same with the jobs of the spouses.

Overall, cheaper for Apple to do the poaching at QC's home, the bonus being doing it at their backyard! Sweet.

Pencil pusher got pushed into a corner:mad: - reaction!

matt_and_187_like_this

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2015
Seems like a lot of employees just for more emojis

They'll also be doing animojis. Together with another couple thousands in Cupertino. Animojis are complex technology with 3d animations calculated in real time and only made possible through the latest in infrared facial recognition blockchain AI.

Reactions: ThaRuler

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
I wonder why Apple picked San Diego? It has a huge cost of living. There are better choices such as Atlanta for example that offer a great pool of talent but a lower cost of living. As someone living on the West Coast, I keep my ear open for opportunities to continue working in tech but in a lower cost of living city.
Where do the electrical engineers, VLSI designers, etc. in Atlanta work? Last I checked, the big pools of those workers were Silicon Valley, Austin, San Diego, and the boston outskirts, with a small pool floating around Rochester Minnesota.

boast

macrumors 65816
Nov 12, 2007
Phoenix, USA
I bet almost 0% of those jobs will be for new grads/entry level. Just everyone fighting for the same group of people

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.