Apple Addresses 2018 iPad Pro 'Bending' Controversy, Says Subtle Deviations May Be More Visible Due to New Design

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 5, 2019.

1. Shiro_Simba Suspended

Shiro_Simba

A statement saying they will replace bend iPads within the warranty perriod is what is needed , for them to stand by their Honest statements that this is the best iPad made .

2. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

It may not be a feature, but it sure isn’t a defect.

3. McG2k1 macrumors regular

With people paying close to a thousand dollars for these they should be flat enough to detect gravity waves with the lasers bounced off them.

4. Shiro_Simba, Jan 5, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2019

Shiro_Simba Suspended

Shiro_Simba

How is bent not a defect now ? A design defect ?

5. truthertech, Jan 5, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2019

truthertech macrumors 68000

This is how you gin up a controversy to generate clicks. Post a photo of a large deformation that is clearly massively greater than the 400 micron standard set by Apple, but transpose it next to Apple's comments to suggest that Apple thinks this deformed iPad is acceptable when they've made it clear the opposite is their position. Further, anyone who is dissatisfied for any reason can return or exchange it.

6. jacojac macrumors newbie

jacojac

Thats exactly what I had happen. I ended up getting there case notes and quoting them to the store manager

7. JuanGuapo macrumors 6502a

JuanGuapo

So...
    ...if it is bent more than 4 pieces of paper in any direction, that's not normal.
    ...if it is bent at-or-less than 4 pieces of paper in any direction, that is normal.
    ...Apple will cover it for one year under the standard warranty.
    ...customers may exchange or return it within 14 days after buying it.

Barring evidence to the contrary, I am not seeing corporate malfeasance.

I am seeing tools, however.

8. FrozenDarkness macrumors 65816

hard to take macrumors seriously when they keep using the same darn picture without commentary of if that's under 400 microns or not.

9. Shiro_Simba Suspended

Shiro_Simba

Where that apple state they will cover the iPad against bends for one year.

I’d are going to call the rest of us tools..... at least check your facts ;)

10. Roger67 macrumors member

That's it, really. Apple not only sets others companies straight but goes the extra mile with challenges like this in order to help individuals live right as mature adults, by exposing character flaws they can work on with help from peers.

11. dumastudetto macrumors 68030

Apple should not and will not replace damaged iPads that customers have abused. There is no question these iPads Pros are the very best iPads apple has ever made. Enjoy using them. Quit worrying about minor defects that fall within acceptable tolerances set by Apple.

12. rtomyj macrumors 6502a

rtomyj

What people will unfortunately miss due to not reading the article:

Users are encouraged to contact Apple if they believe their devices do not meet Apple's stated specifications, and the company reminds users of a 14-day return period and one-year warranty available on Apple products. ​

13. jacojac macrumors newbie

jacojac

Please see attached image of my 4th replacement. That they now refuse to replace. BEND.jpg

14. JuanGuapo macrumors 6502a

JuanGuapo

First, grammar. ;)

Second, read the Support Doc for yourself: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT209403

15. BumpMan macrumors newbie

there are two things going on here. Apple is stating a micro variation and bend tolerance which is acceptable and will likely go completely unnoticed. Then there are the bends in the photographs that are surfacing which show bends an order of magnitude greater than what apple is describing.

The photos we're seeing of bends are not what apple is referring to. What seems still unclear is if these larger bends are coming out of the box like that. I actually doubt that. Im betting they get bent later with use or minor mahout of misuse.

The fact that a thin aluminum iPad CAN bend is no surprise to physics but Apple should be doing all they can to prevent the possibility if they want to keep making thinner and thinner things.

But again what Apple is talking about is not what is reflected in the images we see here.

16. citysnaps macrumors 601

Not true. Why are you making stuff up?

I’m guessing you don’t have an engineering background and are not interested in information/data.

17. KPOM macrumors G5

It is structurally sound. I have had it for 2 months and it’s often crammed into my notebook bag with my work PC (a 14” notebook) and my 12” MacBook. No sign of bending whatsoever.

People need to stop exaggerating. Was the 10.5” more structurally rigid? Perhaps (I had that one, too), but the 11” is by no means made of “play dough.”

18. dumastudetto macrumors 68030

They are not going to offer a warranty on customer abuse. Take care of your iPad Pro and it will be fine.

19. Shiro_Simba Suspended

Shiro_Simba

What’s abuse though ? Does Apple or the customer decide, this is a problem if they bend easily .

Also I don’t agree they are the very best iPad . I believe the previous version is better value and more durable , making it a better product .

20. JuanGuapo macrumors 6502a

JuanGuapo

Assuming yours is not accidental damage, get a second opinion at another store or call AppleCare.

21. ryanwarsaw macrumors 68020

ryanwarsaw

Obviously the tolerance is too loose. A BMW doesn’t wobble in the parking lot.

22. KPandian1 macrumors 65816

When?

How will you feel if after two months they look like Dutch Clogs? Or any visible bend? And they charge you for the replacement, if they admit the flaw?

Apple messed up with the aluminum alloy and/or the thinness of this iPad - and they admit it in a circuitous way.

23. slomojoe macrumors newbie

slomojoe

i am really torn about this as i love the new ipad and want to get one (here in canada they are $1000) but don't want to get stuck with a bent ipad for the next 3-4 years

i am interested in the wifi version and i seem to be reading that the bending affects the cell version more

can anyone confirm whether or not this is correct ?

is the wifi version less prone to bending ?

24. HacKage macrumors 6502

Here's a question, how many millions of iPads have up until this point been shipped with no visible bend from the factory or bent as easily through normal use? How many millions of tablet devices from other manufacturers shipped without a visible bend from factory or bend as easily through normal use?

This generation of iPad has got all these bedroom engineers talking about tolerances that they know nothing about. If something is visibly bent when looking at it with your eye, then you not using microns any more! Just please, please, please accept that like the iPhone 6, this generation's iPad housing is too weak? That's not too bad to admit. You didn't make it. You aren't taking people's money. It would massively help the people that have got an affected device push forward with a replacement program or force Apple to bring out a product refresh ASAP.

25. KPOM macrumors G5

The same people complaining that Apple should replace all the iPads for free and that it should be made with a zero tolerance for variability (impossible to do) also think that the iPad Pro should cost $200.