Apple addressing cracks on white MacBooks casings

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by netnothing, Apr 8, 2009.

1. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

This was posted over at AppleInsider. Hopefully good news for those dealing with cracking issues!

The full article is here:
    http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/09/04/08/apple_addressing_cracks_on_white_macbooks_casings.html

-Kevin

2. drew0020 macrumors 68000

drew0020

Now they just need to address the same with the iPhone 3G and make changes so the case no longer cracks.

3. netnothing thread starter macrumors 68040

netnothing

Yeah but it's never been official, or even acknowledged from Apple. This however, if true, is at least an acknowledgment from Apple (not publicly of course ;) ) that there is a problem or defect, and hopefully people (even out of warranty) won't have to plead and deal to get it fixed.

-Kevin

4. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

As far as I'm concerned, Apple has been acknowledging the cracks in both iPhone 3G and MacBook's. Not eligible for support and have a crack? No problem, set up repair. Every defect doesn't have to be released to the public. For the cracks, we got internal documents to allow repairs for those who have cracks. I haven't heard of anyone who had a hard time dealing with AppleCare in getting a repair done.

5. drew0020 macrumors 68000

drew0020

Their service is fine, but how about fixing the problems so that they dont continuously occur?

6. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

As much I wish Apple pushes out "perfect" laptops, it's not going to happen. Things like cracks on the last-gen MacBook and the problems with the current-gen MacBook & MacBook Pro's is going to happen because Apple is "mass producing now". Apple will fix problems if they happen but to totally crack down on it, not going to happen with their popularity.

Customers really need to understand that there will be chances where they purchase a computer and find tat something will be faulty or defective. I can't tell you how many times where a customer will call in and complain that something is not working or doesn't look right. It will happen, Apple will act accordingly.

7. vilim12 macrumors regular

Ive takin my MacBook to apple for the cracks on the bottom, they basically told me nothing is wrong and that they wouldnt replace anything.

8. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Call AppleCare.

9. vilim12 macrumors regular

I actually did when my topcase cracked, I made mention of bottom case cracks also. He said he would check it out but nothing ever happened with that. It doesnt matter anymore to me as I sold it last week, Im now awaiting arrival of my new Aluminum 2.4

10. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

My sister in law got the cracks/chips on the top casing where the lid closes and they fixed it no questions asked through Applecare. Of course I sent her in prepared for a rejection with internet examples to prove that this was a known issue and not some type of abuse. But, she said the store didn't even ask one question, just took her Applecare info and set up the repair. She had it back good as new in a few days.

11. vilim12 macrumors regular

Topcase wasnt a problem at all to get replaced, just the other cracked plastics are

12. nihalz macrumors member

hey
    my white macbook has also suffered 2 cracks on the edge of the palm rest..
    do i have to take it to an Apple Store only, or will those Apple Authorized Dealers here in Canada will take care of it too for free?
    thanks

13. netnothing thread starter macrumors 68040

netnothing

I'd try the Authorized dealer first and see. Especially if the Apple store is far away from where you are.

-Kevin

14. MasterNile macrumors 65816

MasterNile

Like what exactly? Replacing plastic with aluminum perhaps? Oh yeah they did that. Or do you mean people that bought a white MB should get alu MBs for free? I for one would not like that as I would lose FW.

My MB has a crack on the palm rest, but it doesn't effect the use of it so I will not get it fixed until I'm ready to sell it.

15. ZacUSNYR macrumors regular

Mine has a crack on the top light apple logo that follows the "cutout" upward. I have no clue how it happened as my laptop is a bedroom computer and has only been out of the house twice in its life.

I wonder if the apple store will do anything for it or tell me I broke it.

16. tripletaker macrumors member

I have always taken my MacBook to get it fixed when cracks appeared. I've never had any problems. If I had a crack, I would take it back and get it fixed. There's no reason not to. If they give you any trouble, firmly insist that it's a manufacturing defect and or ask to speak to a manager.

17. ZacUSNYR macrumors regular

Just looked - I now have a small hair line crack where the screen closes on the inside.

I'll give apple care a call and see what they say.

18. nick9191 macrumors 68040

19. Cue macrumors regular

But do they actually fix it even if it's out of warranty like the article mentions?

I'm in Greece (where I believe that the Authorized Service Provider will simple laugh at me if I ask) and I'm thinking of sending it to the US for repair if they actually do it.

Any feedback from the Apple store in Chicago? Do they take it in? How long does the replacement take?

20. djourd macrumors member

I went in today to the Apple store to see what they could do about the cracks on my macbook. They guy gave me some bs excuse about how they only cover the top case. I wasn't to worried about the cracks and wasn't in the mood to argue so I just left.

21. MrSEC macrumors regular

Like what? How about make the plastic stronger,or thicker where they had the cracks.Never heard of an engineering change when something has a flaw?

Mine has been fine because I use it as a desktop computer,but I've seen several of the white plastic ones with cracks years ago,so it was going on for a while before the went to the alloy MB.

22. lazydesi macrumors 6502

[​IMG]

Is that Crack in the above picture is covered under this?

23. netnothing thread starter macrumors 68040

netnothing

Supposedly yes.....those are the hairline cracks that are covered now.

-Kevin

24. unixfool macrumors 6502a

I've had an iPhone 3G for almost 8 months, it doesn't have a hard shell case, and I've not had any issues with cracks whatsoever (and its a white model at that).

Now, I did just have my "palm rest" on my Macbook replaced (a piece broke loose on the right edge. They replaced the whole cover at no charge (I've Applecare).