Apple Adds 2017 13-Inch MacBook Pro Models to Refurbished Store

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 10, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today updated its online store for refurbished products to add a selection of 13-inch 2017 MacBook Pro models equipped with a Touch Bar.

This is the first time the 2017 machines have been available through the refurbished store since their June 2017 release following the Worldwide Developers Conference.

[​IMG]

Apple was offering approximately 15 models at the time this article was written, with each MacBook Pro approximately 15 to 16 percent off. A top-of-the-line 3.5GHz/16GB/1TB model that normally sells for $2,899, is available for $2,459 in the refurbished store, for example.

Apple has both Silver and Space Gray models in a range of configurations, with prices as low as $1,529 for the entry-level Touch Bar machine.

15-inch MacBook Pro machines released in June of 2017 are not yet available in the refurbished store, but could be added soon.

All of Apple's refurbished products go through a rigorous refurbishment process before being offered for sale, which includes inspection, repairs, cleaning, and repackaging. Refurbished Macs come with a one-year warranty that can be extended with an AppleCare+ purchase. For more tips on purchasing a refurbished product, make sure to check out our guide.

Article Link: Apple Adds 2017 13-Inch MacBook Pro Models to Refurbished Store

2. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

Pretty quick. Makes them a little more affordable.

3. shanmugam macrumors 68020

shanmugam

increase the base storage to 256GB SSD and cut the prices across the line. It is very expensive with all the dongles.

4. Jetson macrumors 6502a

Jetson

That doesn't seem like much of a discount.

It would be nice if a $trillion company would give really deep, generous price cuts on used merchandize.

I realize that Apple is a business, not a charity. But I'm just sayin'...

5. lunarworks macrumors 6502a

That certainly puts it within a better price range. If I had the money, I'd go for one of these.

6. Rob_2811 macrumors 65816

Rob_2811

Prices as low as $1,529 :D

So what they are actually worth then..

7. MrGuder macrumors 68020

Ok who on here sent their 2017 13" back to Apple?:rolleyes:

8. dannyyankou macrumors 603

dannyyankou

When the refurbished models are basically good as new, 15% off isn’t bad.

9. DeepIn2U macrumors 68040

DeepIn2U

I'm just saying 2 wks ago those with an out of warranty Macbook unibody or even MacBookPro's dating back to 2014 had over the counter replacements with MacBook Pro TB models as parts where not in the channel nor in stock! I think Apple's done an INCREDIBLE client care job to their users for this alone, and it's not just a handful of reports.

Yes 256GB base storage across all models should be there - Pro machines, Pro users, use storage like a pro. Students using MacBook can have the base 128GB model as most of their storage needs are in the cloud as a common practice.

10. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

My very first macbook was an apple refurbished. I couldn't tell the difference between that and the brand new ones I was looking at in store.

11. JGIGS macrumors 6502a

Apple keeps making macbooks more expensive when casual computer users need them less and have less of a need to upgrade to a new one. It will be interesting to see how macbook sales are like a few years from now. Though it seems like no matter what market conditions are like Apple keeps powering through.

12. Mac-lover3 macrumors 6502

Mac-lover3

Yet in Belgium there is no refurbished store for Macs.. pretty lame Apple..

13. JGIGS macrumors 6502a

With how cheap storage is now 256 should be the base in a computer pro or not especially at macbook pricing.

14. Nozuka macrumors 65816

This would hurt the resale value of Macbooks. If you ever need to sell one yourself, you'll be happy that they loose their value very slowly.

15. ILuvEggplant Suspended

ILuvEggplant

16. hoorayberet00 macrumors newbie

I did when I had buyer’s remorse. I felt no sense of “WOW!” Only sense of...”Eh. This is just okay. AND it’s not worth the price.”

If insanely great is to remain a standard, why reward Apple for sub-standard results?

17. Relentless Power, Aug 10, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2017

Relentless Power macrumors G4

Relentless Power

In some cases, Apple refurbished products are just as good, if not better than new products. Because they are inspected thoroughly and tested to not have any other defects noted than what a brand new factory model might have. Apple's refurbished MacBooks are excellent for the most part.

18. applesith macrumors 68020

applesith

Maybe you should go look for some scratched up open-box at Best Buy. Just sayin.

19. kingtj macrumors 68020

I've always been an advocate for Apple's business model of charging premium prices for premium products, and not going down the rabbit hole of trying to sell cheap enough so everyone can afford to buy one. The PC market was terrible for a long time with everyone chasing the absolute lowest price, cutting corners all over the place as they went.

But in the last few years, it's really changed. Other companies like Microsoft copied the idea, selling more upscale gear that really competes with Apple's products (except for the fact it still runs Windows and not OS X!). But more importantly - I think Apple lost their way a bit. They've been selling some of the highest priced systems they've had in the last decade, but loaded with compromises and flashy things that are far from proven worthwhile features to pay extra for.

For starters? There's NO reason that all Macbook Airs sold today shouldn't come standard with 512GB of SSD storage. The prices on SSDs have dropped sharply, to the point where on the PC/Windows side, I can buy even top-tier 512GB SSDs for under $240 or so, any day of the week. Even people who say "I won't ever need that much storage." are foolish for thinking that way when buying a new laptop that's going to cost them upwards of $1,000. Our employer, for example, purchased the corporate version of DropBox - and people are always sharing folders of content related to various projects. If you use a Macbook Air in our office, you have to constantly deselect things with "selective sync" in the DropBox app to prevent it from filling your drive up if you have a 256GB SSD.

All of the dongles for the current lineup of Mac notebooks is ridiculous too. They should include a set with each machine for what they cost, period.

20. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Exactly, it's USED, refurbished is just some (Apple) spin.

21. TheShadowKnows! macrumors regular

TheShadowKnows!

My opinion: Not to rain-in on the 15% discount parade (and cheering), these Mac Pros were priced over-the-top to start with. After you add sales tax and (discretionary) AppleCare+, the 15% discount on these (used, but reconditioned) units, will appear to most people, inconsequential.

[To Remember: reconditioned hardware typically lose one year of life-cycle, as their hardware and software support is declared EOL at the end of five years.]

A better idea:
    Wait for Black Friday sales (esp. B&H internet sales), and queue in early and you will find discounts sometimes of 30% to 35% off list, and no taxes. The best sales are, typically, for new-old-stock, models that have been updated recently, but never sold.

So you get the cake and eat it too, as these are brand new units are unencumbered from sale taxes (that translates to another 6% off in my case).

22. mydogeatsbeats macrumors member

All of my macbooks that I returned because of crappy keyboard (stiff keys, very different sounding keys etc.), cracking lid (loose magnets, as the techincan at apple store said), loose part in display, and defective trackpads :D

now I typing on a surface laptop, its also not perfect but I payed much less and I have at least nice feeling keys, great battery life, ok screen (unfortuntely a little bit bleed). I have a real touchscreen and the best thing: I can download netflix content with the netflix app and watch it offline on the go!!

The most important thing: even I also has its flaws I feels sturdy and relieable, whereas the macbook pro 2017 and 2016 always felt like a raw egg that always could fail on me anytime...

23. charlesdayton macrumors 6502a

How do I id the 2017 models?

There's no mention of year or Kaby Lake on the description.

thanks

Update: Nevermind the site has the release date. I was looking on the Apple store App wich doesn't.

24. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Same in the country north of you, yet they have them in Germany and the UK, in a way it's ridiculous but I don't gave a ...., I will never buy secondhand.

25. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You can tell by the "originally released" date shown under each model there.

Screen Shot 2017-08-10 at 11.06.14 AM.png