Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today added four new channels to its Apple TV set-top box, further expanding the variety of content available on the device. The new additions include ultimate fighting channel UFC.TV, digital video shorts channel The Scene, news and pop culture channel Fusion, and video sharing site Dailymotion.

apple_tv_ufc_scene_fusion_dailymotion.jpg
UFC.TV offers access to a variety of Ultimate Fighting Championship content, including free and paid video. Users can subscribe to the service's Fight Pass premium offering with a 6-month membership priced at $54.99 or a 12-month membership at $99.99. Users can also access archived pay-per-view content, although some pay-per-view content is unavailable in many countries due to regional restrictions.

The Scene offers digital shorts from a variety of Condé Nast media brands and third-party partners, including ABC News, Epicurious, Forbes, GQ, PBS, The New Yorker, The Weather Channel, Vogue, and more. All content is available free of charge.

Fusion is a joint venture between Disney-ABC and Univision, offering a variety of content including news, pop culture, and lifestyle. Finally, Dailymotion offers access to the popular site's library of videos from premium brands and regular users alike.

All four channels are available now, with Apple calling out each of the new channels with a "New" flag on the main screen icons. Country restrictions may, however, limit where some of these new channels can be seen.

Article Link: Apple Adds New Apple TV Channels for UFC, The Scene, Fusion, and Dailymotion

Risco

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom
Looks like they are ramping up the content in readiness for a "Retina TV" to be launched in the next 12 months.

Comment

Advil

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2008
until i can buy individual subscriptions for the channels i want all these services are near worthless... you still need cable/satellite to get them.

Comment

Pagemakers

macrumors 68030
Mar 28, 2008
Manchester UK
Good job I sold my ATVs and swapped them for Amazon Fire TVs a few weeks ago.

This dripping of American channels is useless to us in the UK.

Never looked back.

Comment

KazKam

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2011
Looks like they are ramping up the content in readiness for a "Retina TV" to be launched in the next 12 months.

No, it actually doesn't look like that at all.

What does more channels available on the Apple TV, something that happens about once every month or two these days, have anything at all to do with Apple launching a so-called "Retina TV"? And why in the next 12 months?

Your logical fallacy is false cause (along with false conclusion).

Reactions: GreginNJ
Comment

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012

They are not going to get in the TV business outside of a set top box. Most companies lose money manufacturing TVs, including the largest players in the market.

They really do need to update the appleTV though. There is a problem when a $19 fire stick out-performs my ATV

Comment

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
until i can buy individual subscriptions for the channels i want all these services are near worthless... you still need cable/satellite to get them.

Then I hope you are willing to pay more for content than you can currently get from paid tv services

Comment

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA

I have been hearing about Apple launching a TV for at least 10 years. Sorry to say but it is very unlikely. TV manufacturing is a cutthroat business with very slims margins. I doubt Apple has any interest jumping there.

Just create a great AppleTV box with power and great UI and figure out a new model of content distribution. This is where I would like to see Apple heading to.

Comment

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2011
How about universal search. Or the ability to enter cable/satellite ID and password in one place rather than having to enter it in every single channel app. Tim Cook talks about TV interfaces being from the 70s. Well he'll have to include TV as its interface is horrible. I much prefer my Directv interface. So far Apple has given me zero reason to cut the cord. I only use TV for AirPlay.

Comment

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
Then I hope you are willing to pay more for content than you can currently get from paid tv services

Unfortunately, basic cable provides nothing worth while other than a constant barrage of commercials. There is no content worth what they charge. My antenna TV may have commercials, but I don't have to pay to watch them.

I'm willing to pay for worthwhile content if it doesn't force me to pay to watch more commercials.

Comment

VeryVito

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2008
Amazon Fire TV does.

And does it well! I cut the cable cord two years ago, and I cut the iTunes cord last month. I really wish I didn't have to, but Apple has made it pretty clear they're not interested in the living room anymore, and Amazon appears to be doing everything right in this arena now.

Far be it from me to tell Apple what they should do, but this seems like a huge strategic misstep to me. I've been a registered iOS developer for years now, but the Amazon SDK (and consequently -- gasp -- the Android SDK) looks more promising for long-term projects that aren't tied to phones or tablets now.

I REALLY wish Apple hadn't missed the ball on this one, but at this point, it's obvious they have. All they needed to compete was a TV App Store, and they've had YEARS to get one together. Amazon and Google did it in much less time -- and they've done it very well, too.

Yeah this thing needs an App Store badly. I really wonder what's in store for Apple TV 3.0

Apple TV 3.0 came out more than two years ago. What's "in store" appears to be more icons we can hide.

Comment

winston1236

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
Unfortunately, basic cable provides nothing worth while other than a constant barrage of commercials. There is no content worth what they charge. My antenna TV may have commercials, but I don't have to pay to watch them.

I'm willing to pay for worthwhile content if it doesn't force me to pay to watch more commercials.

Exactly, cable companies have had it too good for too long. We pay them to watch channels that they pack with ads that they also get paid for. By cutting out cable companies the networks can sell to us directly and improve the quality if programming beyond all this low budget reality crap.

Comment

hlfway2anywhere

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2006
Just got the Fire TV stick yesterday. Haven't had too much time to play around with it yet, but it seems pretty good. You can actually download what you want instead of having to hide what you don't want...

Ditched my AppleTV for fire tv stick this week and I don't miss it at all. I'm apple-everything but they lost me here.

Comment

Daalseth

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012

Let's see, ~$120/mo for the couple dozen channels I want, vs. what I have now, ~$100/mo for several hundred channels of which I actually watch 9-10. I'll take that deal

Comment

meegwell

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2014
AppleTV 3.0 wish list:

• New customizable interface
  • Single-entry user/password for cable service related content
  • Global search
  • Apple TV specific App Store
  • Better remote (keep standard IR so A/V Universal remotes can learn it)
  • External Storage interface (so I can store all my media there and dont need a mac running to watch my ripped movie collection)
  • Modern movie audio capability: Dolby TruHD, DTS Master Audio
  • Broader file format compatibility for media
  • Boosted performance hardware to handle all of the above (chip, memory)

Comment

Correct. Any replacement model will only get to replace the "as is" if the various players involved make MORE- not less- money. And if Apple is going to be involved, they'll want their cut too. The proposition will end up something like 200 channels for $100/month or 10 channels for $130/month.

Commercials are other people paying a large subsidy to deliver the programming you do like. Kill the commercials and that subsidy needs to be made up. How much is it? About $54/month per (every) household in America. In other words, if we could all agree we wanted to be rid of commercials enough that we'd ALL pay the subsidy ourselves (good luck with that), we'd ALL need to cough up about $54/month BEFORE we are actually paying for any channels.

By cutting out cable companies the networks can sell to us directly and improve the quality if programming beyond all this low budget reality crap.

Who provides the broadband pipe through which this replacement model will flow? Probably that cable company. If the masses move on cutting their cable TV revenue, how will they make up for those revenue losses? Raising the broadband rates for "heavier users" like video streamers. They will get theirs either way. To eject them from the "greedy" equation, a new model must be able to fully bypass them in connecting us consumers to iCloud or similar. Until you hear about that kind of breakthrough, there is no masses cord-cutting way to eject their bite of the monthly bill.

And, it's more likely that we end up with a lot of "low budget reality crap" if we expect some new model to arrive with huge monthly fee discounts for us consumers. To expect quality of programming to go up AND the source of the money that pays for that programming to get a huge discount is ignoring a fundamental reality of economics. The ONLY way that can work is if we can all agree on a subset of favorite programming. Stuff like "reality crap" is NOT on the air with nobody watching it. One man's favorite is another man's "crap"... and vice-versa.

I love the commercial-free, al-a-carte dream as much as the next guy but the way some new model arrives is by us consumers motivating the various players to change. How do we do that? Showing them a more profitable way with a new model. More profitable for them and huge monthly discount for us are not compatible concepts.

Last edited:
Comment

ttss6

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2014
California
Why can't they add a similar feature so on the iPhone or iPad you can hide stock apps that are not being used and cluttering the screen?

Comment

DDaddyx2

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2012
Indianapolis, IN
Add me as another Apple TV user who just got a Fire Stick. Tired of waiting for Apple to add Amazon Prime Video, Spotify and others. Really sad how they have let Apple TV get so dormant.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.