Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The Apple Online Store recently added a "Ship to Store" option for refurbished products, allowing customers to pick up refurbished items at their local Apple Retail Store. Ship to Store is a service that Apple first began offering in 2011.

deliveryoptions.jpg
Currently, Apple offers the Ship to Store option for the majority of its refurbished items, with the exception of the fourth generation iPod touch, which was discontinued last week with the introduction of the new low cost 5th generation iPod touch.

At the end of the checkout cycle for a refurbished product, customers can now choose whether they wish to pick up the item at a local store, or have it shipped to a home or business.

Ship to Store delivery times are similar to home delivery times, so while the option does not eliminate wait times, it does allow Apple customers to avoid home delivery.

Update: A number of MacRumors readers have reported that the in-store pickup option for refurbished items is not new, although there seem to have been some issues over the past several weeks with in-store pickup not being available for orders through the Apple online store.

Article Link: Apple Adds Ship to Store Option for Refurbished Products

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
This is awesome! FedEx sucks!

Agreed. I've experienced issues with FedEx, they don't ring the bell and leave packages at residences unless signature is specified. I've had packages in my NYC building missing from FedEx deliveries (and this is a doorman building, they actually leave them on the street and don't bother dropping them off with the concierge), and in my home upstate they simply leave packages on the front porch for anyone to grab. Thankfully it's a safe, suburban neighborhood and we all know each other. I just find this bad business.

Remember the infamous FedEx delivery in which the driver threw a computer monitor over the wall of a home in 2011? Didn't even ring.

FedEx Guy Throwing My Computer Monitor

chainprayer

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008
So awesome! I'm never home to sign, and I work half a mile away from an Apple store. There's nothing worse than the dreaded "sorry we missed you ticket" when you were hoping to play with your shiny new laptop all night.

Saturn1217

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2008
Haven't they had this for a while? I know that i used the ship to store option for the refurbished macbook air I'm typing on right now. I'm lucky enough to have an Apple store within walking distance of where I live so it was a no brainer. Worked exactly as advertised too.

Shanpdx

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2008
Blazer town!
Tim Cook

Tim Cook is everything else other than Steve Jobs.

He is master of Operations! Hope there is great products on the way (in fall).

Last edited:

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
this has been available for some time, at least for Mac Pro, iMac, and cinema displays...

runningman1228

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2008
I definitely shipped my refurbished Apple TV to the store back in November, so I don't think this is a new feature, maybe they disabled it for a while?

mattg3

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2010
ma.
Well i learned the hard way.Bought a refurbished Ipod nano and got the dreaded no signature thus no delivery tag on door when i got home from work.Now I wait 24 hours and hope it gets dropped off tomorrow now that i signed the tag but the possibility of theft is always right in front of me.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Remember the infamous FedEx delivery in which the driver threw a computer monitor over the wall of a home in 2011? Didn't even ring.

Do you think throwing it through the glass window into an Apple Store would be an improvement? :D

jclardy

macrumors 68040
Oct 6, 2008
So does it show up in the morning hours? I'm pretty sure every single time I order something from Apple.com (Refurb or not) it gets delivered 7PM on the delivery date. Order some random thing from Amazon and it shows up 10AM.

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
I had ship-to-store on my refurbished MBP I bought in March 2012, so they've been doing it over a year!

rshanahan

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2007
North East, MD
Been available for a while

I've been shipping to store for well over a year (every item I wanted was available to ship to store). I actually save on sales tax as the closest Apple store is in Delaware. I live in MD, so it's always ship to store for me! Best savings was on my mac pro. Saved a ton on that one!

Also, it seems that a lot of refurb products ship out of the Harrisburg, PA area, which means it's usually ready in Delaware within three days!

Last edited:

SouthernEFI

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2013
[url=http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

The Apple Online Store recently added a "Ship to Store" option for refurbished products, allowing customers to pick up refurbished items at their local Apple Retail Store. Ship to Store is a service that Apple first began offering in 2011.

Currently, Apple offers the Ship to Store option for the majority of its refurbished items, with the exception of the fourth generation iPod touch, which was discontinued last week with the introduction of the new low cost 5th generation iPod touch.

At the end of the checkout cycle for a refurbished product, customers can now choose whether they wish to pick up the item at a local store, or have it shipped to a home or business.

Ship to Store delivery times are similar to home delivery times, so while the option does not eliminate wait times, it does allow Apple customers to avoid home delivery.

Article Link: Apple Adds Ship to Store Option for Refurbished Products

Yeah, this isn't new. Not sure how MacRumors dropped the ball on this, but I purchased a October-2012 Mac Mini from the refurb site in February. And had it shipped to the store in SouthPark Mall. This is nothing new...

Last edited:

rdolivaw

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2012
I agree this is not new. I purchased a refurbished iMac in November 2012 and had it shipped to the local Apple Store. There may have been limited options before. But it isn't totally new.

azdgordon

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2011
Agree with others' comments, that ship to store for refurbished products has been available for a while. I used it in November for a refurbished iMac and in late January for a Mac mini. My impression was that the product seemed to arrive at the store faster than it would have been delivered to my home - but I don't have absolute basis for that assessment.

ChrisA

macrumors G4
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Just got a 4th gen refurb iPod. It seems that this was never in the hands of a consumer. It was shipped in a retail box by Fed Ex directly from China. Apple said it would take a week but but it was sent two day express from China.

I think Apple is dumping their inventory of new but unsold 4th gen iPods.

Breaking Good

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2012
This is not new. I had my refurbished iPad 2 shipped to my local Apple Retail store. I bought it back in January 2012.

Mums

Suspended
Oct 4, 2011
Agreed. I've experienced issues with FedEx, they don't ring the bell and leave packages at residences unless signature is specified. I've had packages in my NYC building missing from FedEx deliveries (and this is a doorman building, they actually leave them on the street and don't bother dropping them off with the concierge), and in my home upstate they simply leave packages on the front porch for anyone to grab. Thankfully it's a safe, suburban neighborhood and we all know each other. I just find this bad business.

FedEx Guy Throwing My Computer Monitor

You're not considering who FedEx is hiring for its delivery positions - especially in New York City.

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
So awesome! I'm never home to sign, and I work half a mile away from an Apple store. There's nothing worse than the dreaded "sorry we missed you ticket" when you were hoping to play with your shiny new laptop all night.

What's even worse, they never tick "today" where they state when you can go pick it up.
"Next working day" always. ALWAYS.

At least that's DHL here in Germany or any other parcel service for that matter.
At least DHL provide me with all the flexibility I could possibly get.
DHL is kickass here in Germany, if you want some bad time with a delivery service, go with GLS, they are horrible at taking care of parcels.

Glassed Silver:mac

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.