Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sflagel

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2012
I object to the use of the term "United" in United Kingdom. This seems to imply that the citizens are 100% united and the real value falls far short of that. A disclaimer needs to be added.
Well I am sure you know what's wrong with your comment, and the disclaimer is Little Britain. It's a miserable little place.

timborama

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
There will still be people here who will say this error was no big deal and people shouldn't have bothered complaining, that 99% is close enough to 100%

They would probably defend Apple if they started shipping iDevices where the battery maximum capacity was actually 99% but advertised as 100%
So true. How about a screen with “only” 1% dead pics.

Reactions: Alfredo_Delgado

Doomtomb

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2011
Austin, TX
I believe this is an impressive monitor and one I would certainly like to own. But it's more "HiFi" and less Reference in terms of accuracy. Plus that blooming on a $5000 monitor minus the stand is unacceptable.

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
These might seem petty changes but I’m really glad we have a robust advertising standards in the UK. I’ve seen many US ads with charlatans trying to sell all sorts of very dodgy treatments for cancer and so on that are just not allowed here.

Maconplasma

Cancelled
Sep 15, 2020
In Apple's keynotes this monitor has been compared as an alternative to the $30,000 Sony X310 for Post Production. And some post professionals failed for that trap. Eventually, Dolby never approved this monitor as a mastering monitor, which is what the X310 is about. That 99% P3 believe it or not is a big deal as the monitors it is comparing to can hit those values 100% and more, even go to REC2020.
Now, bear in mind, Apple now produces films and TV shows on their streaming platform Apple TV+, and they deliver in Dolby Vision, but they cannot use this monitor to master since it cannot hit the specs it claimed it can.
Any corporation in the market for a $30,000 reference monitor should be smart enough to recognize marketing when said product is being compared to a $5000 monitor.

Morgenland

macrumors 65816
May 28, 2009
Europe
I'm sure none of the people here have such a monitor or even know the professionals opinion on it. Here is a schoolyard gathered again. Have an opinion but do not have professional knowledge. And then write and bitch about how mean the world and especially Apple is. That's poor.

That the manufacturers of the super-expensive monitors now choose this pathetic way to maintain their numerically low sales is embarrassing.

larrylaffer

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2009
Los Angeles
These might seem petty changes but I’m really glad we have a robust advertising standards in the UK. I’ve seen many US ads with charlatans trying to sell all sorts of very dodgy treatments for cancer and so on that are just not allowed here.
I couldn't agree more. Apple has been busted in the past for carbon-copying their US advertising over to the UK when this advertising doesn't meet the UK standard of being able to prove these claims. IIRC one of their late 90s ads for the PowerMac was aired in the UK and resulted in an immediate fine for claiming it was the "world's fastest personal computer" or something like that.

The medical advertisements you're talking about are among the very worst things about advertising in America. They tell us to ask our doctor about their product, as if we're the medical experts. It's gross.

I really wish the US had similar regulations.

Reactions: amartinez1660

Maconplasma

Cancelled
Sep 15, 2020
I'll bet there a great deal of UK-based companies that do imperfect marketing that the UK doesn't call out. Interesting some of the self-righteousness here from people outside the U.S.

Morgenland

macrumors 65816
May 28, 2009
Europe
I couldn't agree more. Apple has been busted in the past for carbon-copying their US advertising over to the UK when this advertising doesn't meet the UK standard of being able to prove these claims. IIRC one of their late 90s ads for the PowerMac was aired in the UK and resulted in an immediate fine for claiming it was the "world's fastest personal computer" or something like that.

The medical advertisements you're talking about are among the very worst things about advertising in America. They tell us to ask our doctor about their product, as if we're the medical experts. It's gross.

I really wish the US had similar regulations.
I have always enjoyed the British ads.

Screenshot 2021-04-12 at 19.04.32.png

I don't know anyone who confuses advertising with a message of truth. Advertising is not an educational event, it always lies or embellishes because it has its mission.

Nevertheless ads can also be funny. And I like the British ones very much now and then.
But 'honest advertising', come on people ?

Last edited:
Reactions: amartinez1660

Razorpit

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2021
Ask anyone: 99% is not 100%. Imagine if the Apollo missions only made 99% of the way to the Moon. Apple should strive to be as accurate in their product descriptions as possible. There's no need to fudge that 1%.

There will still be people here who will say this error was no big deal and people shouldn't have bothered complaining, that 99% is close enough to 100%

They would probably defend Apple if they started shipping iDevices where the battery maximum capacity was actually 99% but advertised as 100%

Not delivering what you promise to deliver is the same as stealing.

So true. How about a screen with “only” 1% dead pics.

Where did Apple say 100%? I missed that in the original.

I object to the use of the term "United" in United Kingdom. This seems to imply that the citizens are 100% united and the real value falls far short of that. A disclaimer needs to be added.
? Same here. Maybe we can start a lawsuit together.

Reactions: SFjohn

Nuno Lopes

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2011
Lisbon, Portugal
There are some people that seem to equate "freedom of speech" with "freedom to lie without consequences".

True, but there is a lot of layaway to still deceive in between. I believe that if one is selling a $5000 monitor, the information provided from the start needs to be accurate.

Still not many 32” desktop monitor achieve a 99% DCI-P3, even though it is becoming common on smarphones to reach 100%.

Td1970

Suspended
Jan 29, 2021
Be

View attachment 1756828

Anyone who confuses advertising with a message of truth is still a child. Advertising is not an educational event, it always lies or embellishes because it has a mission. That this is now displeasing to so many in one percent is explained by the Macrumors community.

But advertising can also be fun. And I like the British one very much every now and then.
making excuses again I see.

ksec

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2015
I dont think people quite get it. Apple over hype and over marketed their Pro XDR. It is not a Reference Monitor in any shape or form. And uses a sort of consumer marketing for things that professional cares about to on tenth of decimal place.

It was just bad. $5000 for a Reference Monitor would have been a steal. Except it was a $5000 Professional monitor that is comparable to others at $2-4K range.

Without a Stand.

I could give some benefits of doubt to any companies if it was a consumer or even a prosumer devices. But for Professional this just isn't good enough.

ikramerica

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2009

View attachment 1756828

Anyone who confuses advertising with a message of truth is still a child. Advertising is not an educational event, it always lies or embellishes because it has a mission. That this is now displeasing to so many in one percent is explained by the Macrumors community.

But advertising can also be fun. And I like the British one very much every now and then.
That was very portable at the time though.

G4DPII

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2015
I'll bet there a great deal of UK-based companies that do imperfect marketing that the UK doesn't call out. Interesting some of the self-righteousness here from people outside the U.S.
Actually no, if people have an issue, they can complain to the ASA and the advertising is looked it. If proven to be false or in anyway incorrect, it is changed or removed completely.

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
I agree with you on the part I highlighted but a $5000 USD or £5000 for a pro screen isn't really a ton of cash considering there are $40,000 USD screens from Sony. I would expect at that much money advertising accuracy would be "100%" but Apple's screens aren't that crazy expensive, especially based on their target market which are not average joes and tech enthusiasts. People tend to exaggerate just because it's Apple.
$5000 will still seem a lot when trying to explain it to the accounts department, but in many companies they will push hard for spending $5000 per screen instead of $50,000. Saying we require 100% P3 monitors, but the cheaper option doesn't have that, makes the discussion much easier.

If 100% P3 is commonly (or just often enough to be known to be a possibility) required for contracts with external companies (it wouldn't surprise me if this is the case in some video industries), lacking it should be in the marketing for possible monitors.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.