Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple advertising partner Media Arts Lab has let go of approximately 50 employees, reports Bloomberg. Media Arts Lab is owned by TBWA\Chiat\Day and Apple is its only client.

Staff cuts were made in multiple divisions, but many of the employees who were let go worked in the strategy division that helped Apple create ads for its newest products.

In a statement to Bloomberg, a Media Arts Lab spokesperson said that the firm's relationship with Apple "has never been stronger."
"Yesterday was a difficult day, as we had to part with some of our talented colleagues," a Media Arts Lab spokeswoman said in an emailed statement. "Our relationship with Apple has never been stronger, but as the needs of our client continue to evolve, we must adapt and continue to evolve the composition of our teams."
Apple's VP of Marketing Communications Tor Myhren said that Apple asked Media Arts Lab to evolve its marketing approach as Apple evolves its own approach too.
Apple's confidence and trust in MAL as our singular ad agency is as strong as it's ever been. As we continue to evolve our marketing approach, we've asked MAL to do the same.
Media Arts Lab has worked with Apple for decades and has been responsible for some of Apple's most compelling ads, including the famous "1984" ad for the original Macintosh, the "Get a Mac" series with Justin Long, and the well-known silhouette ads used for the iPod and iTunes.

More recently, Media Arts Lab was responsible for the "Welcome Home" video for the HomePod starring FKA Twigs, Apple's 2019 "Shot on iPhone" tour featuring bands like Florence and the Machine, and the "Bounce" ad for the AirPods.

Apple started creating some of its ads in house approximately five years ago, but has also continued to work with outside ad agencies. Apple two years ago began focusing more heavily on digital and regional ad campaigns, which previously led to layoffs at TBWA\Media Arts Lab.

Article Link: Apple Advertising Partner Media Arts Lab Cuts ~50 Employees

Last edited:

jimthing

macrumors 68000
Apr 6, 2011
Anyone wondering what Justin Long is up to recently...

See him in a great UK television series from BBC/Netflix called "Giri/Haji". His part is fairly small, but the series is very interesting. ;-)

symphony

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2016
Poor workers. We often forget they’re also people... people with families, people with kids. Now they’re going to starve because Apple cut them off. I hope they find new work soon, because I really liked all their recent ads, especially their iPhone X ads back in 2017.

it’s very unfortunate.

SEmAN

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2017
Anyone wondering what Justin Long is up to recently...

See him in a great UK television series from BBC/Netflix called "Giri/Haji". His part is fairly small, but the series is very interesting. ;-)

He has a popular podcast called "Life is Short with Justin Long" .

ersan191

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2013
Wonder why Apple doesn’t just buy these guys if they supposedly like them so much
[automerge]1572995297[/automerge]
Poor workers. We often forget they’re also people... people with families, people with kids. Now they’re going to starve because Apple cut them off. I hope they find new work soon, because I really liked all their recent ads, especially their iPhone X ads back in 2017.

it’s very unfortunate.
Nobody who worked for an Apple-exclusive ad agency is going to starve or not find another job, relax.

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
Yup. Apple is making cuts across all divisions.
Who told you that? That’s an unknowledgeable and quite foolish take, since Apple is hiring across all divisions. Literally the opposite of what you made up :rolleyes:

re: the cuts at MAL, Apple’s doing more and more in-house, and shifting their advertising mix. They won’t need as much MAL going forward as they did in the past ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Justanotherfanboy

Suspended
Jul 3, 2018

it’s very unfortunate.
Lol, and how do we know that the people laid off weren’t the ones that did NOT work on the Apple campaign? Or the ones that put forward ideas that were shot down vehemently by Apple? Or were simply dead weight?
Certainly if they are in danger of their children starving due to inability to find any other paying gig (laughable, at best...), then they clearly aren’t of the ilk that Apple should be choosing.

gsurf123

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2017

it’s very unfortunate.

Probably would have been better to not be Apple exclusive.

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.

it’s very unfortunate.

I don’t think we forget that the people that lose their jobs are in fact, people. Something tells me they won’t “starve” if they have been saving any of the money they’ve been making investing. I hope they find jobs soon and I’m sure they will.

I also don’t think the quality of the ads going forward will suffer.

Reactions: symphony

Krizoitz

macrumors 68000
Apr 26, 2003
Tokyo, Japan
Certainly if they are in danger of their children starving due to inability to find any other paying gig (laughable, at best...), then they clearly aren’t of the ilk that Apple should be choosing.

Wow...I mean wow...the callousness and inhumanity on display in this post is staggering.

Setting aside that no one, and I mean NO ONE deserves to starve based on their skill level at a particular task, you do realize that finding a job in America (and other countries) is not based solely on talent/merit right? That numerous other factors are at play?

Wow...

lunarworks

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2003
Toronto, Canada
Most marketing/media firms are not run really well & have a lot of excess staff...it's not surprising they are cutting considering this industry as a whole is down-sizing to smaller marketing firms/media houses/etc.
A lot of companies are also bringing marketing in-house. AFAIK, Google does everything internally. (And it shows.)
Wonder why Apple doesn’t just buy these guys if they supposedly like them so much
Because if their output quality goes down, or if Apple wants a radical shift in marketing strategy, they can hire a new agency. Also, creatives thrive when they're not married to a single client/project, so it's beneficial in that respect to have an external agency.

ersan191

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2013
Because if their output quality goes down, or if Apple wants a radical shift in marketing strategy, they can hire a new agency. Also, creatives thrive when they're not married to a single client/project, so it's beneficial in that respect to have an external agency.
But they are married to a single client, it's in the article. The first sentence even.

MadeTheSwitch

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2009
That’s gratitude. Thanks for making great ads and making us money.....you’re fired.

Everything that is wrong with corporate culture today. People are viewed like expendable printer cartridges that you use up and throw away. And not just corporate. Our whole culture in general really. Just a throw away culture.

Reactions: FocusAndEarnIt

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2008
Their ads are too noisy and jarring (at least the 2 that were linked here). Of course as is almost always the case, low level employees pay the price of poor choices made by execs, because really, most people that are laid off were just executing what they were told to do by their management with little ability to influence those decisions.

Last edited:
Reactions: Huck

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
For all we know, the parent company, TBWA Worldwide, probably just did a headcount and decided they are 50 people extra and told Mal to cut 50 people.

It's sad, but that's reality. And performance often has nothing to do with it. It's all simply about headcount. Heck, big companies like Microsoft also do this, even internally. A division can be performing like a top dog, but when a new quarter came and you are over the alloted headcount, it's sayonara.

m4mario

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2017
San Francisco Bay Area

it’s very unfortunate.
It is a tough time, but when you have a resume with the name Apple in it, its easier to find a new job.

Reactions: Gasu E.

Jeremy1026

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2007
Super common in the ad industry. Get a new contract, bring in 20 people. Lose a client, cut 20 people. Rinse and repeat yearly. It's ridiculous how short sighted many ad agencies are.

Reactions: ErikGrim and bwintx

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
Holy smokes! Such drama on display...apparently because it indirectly has something to do with Apple.

News Flash: People are let go every day for a wide range of reasons in Silicon Valley. Ditto with people being hired.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
Super common in the ad industry. Get a new contract, bring in 20 people. Lose a client, cut 20 people. Rinse and repeat yearly. It's ridiculous how short sighted many ad agencies are.
That can be said with most companies nowadays. Contract workers are quite common. Less cost for the company as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.