Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

100239-australia_mac_pro.jpg

Engadget today pointed to a series of Apple ads appearing on Australian site PC Authority appearing to show significantly increased prices for Apple's MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, and Mac Pro lines, suggesting that new, more expensive models may be imminent. An update to the story added evidence of inconsistencies in pricing on Apple's own Australian and New Zealand sites.

The real story appears to be, however, that Apple has mistakenly included old pricing on its site and in its advertising in these countries. Last October, alongside a slew of product updates including the iMac, Apple also reduced prices on its MacBook Pro and MacBook Air lines in some countries. For example, in Australia, Apple dropped the entry-level MacBook Pro to A$1599 from A$1899 and the entry-level MacBook Air from A$2399 to A$1999. These are same price points appearing in conflict on Apple's site and ads at this time, strongly suggesting that the issue is simply a mistaken use of outdated graphics with incorrect prices.

Apple similarly introduced the Mac Pro in Australia in March 2009 with an entry-level price point of A$4499, as shown in the advertising images currently being seen on Apple's site and elsewhere. The prices were, however, dropped to begin at A$3599, apparently in December when Apple slightly tweaked build-to-order options on the Mac Pro.

We still continue to expect updates to Apple's MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, and Mac Pro models in the relatively near future, and while the new inconsistencies on Apple's site and advertising banners may be an error made as the company prepares some tweaks for an imminent release, the new images appear to reflect outdated rather than upcoming pricing.

Article Link: Apple Advertising Snafu in Australia and New Zealand Leads to Confusion Over Possible Price Increases

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Why would they revert back to old ads? Like, what update on their end caused that to happen by mistake?

Comment

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Thanks again arn for reporting this story with a modicum of sanity.

All the other websites are jumping on this but yes, you've got it right, they're old (about 5 month old) prices being mistakenly used.

Comment

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
I hate say it but I think the members of Macrumors are regurgitating old news faster than Macrumors itself.

This was old at 6 a.m. and even older when I wasted my time posting it almost 2 hours ago.

Comment

Santabean2000

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2007
Can't see them bumping up prices significantly as they only just dropped them.

Still, my name's not Steve, so what do I know...

Comment

RafMac

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2007
Ontario
Apple what are you waiting for???

Apple is so slow now when it comes to adapting i5 and i7 chipsets, while rest of the manufacturers are already selling them cheap. Apple's current MacBook Pros are so outdated and way overpriced. I need to buy MacBook Pro soon and can't wait...

In the meantime, I picked up an new laptop for my dad last week, SONY VAIO 16.4" with i7 quad processor, BlueRay drive, illuminated keyboard looks like apples, 4Gb of RAM for $1,099 CDN, it comes loaded with Windows 7, it is a pretty powerful computer that is a beautiful design.

I think Apple wants to promote this stupid iPad first then the new hardware of MacBooks and MacPros, don't want to snowball the prices, Apple really needs to lower prices on them now that rest of manufacturers did.

Comment

Jayomat

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2009
I hate say it but I think the members of Macrumors are regurgitating old news faster than Macrumors itself.

This was old at 6 a.m. and even older when I wasted my time posting it almost 2 hours ago.

there are people on the world who don't sit in front of their computers all day to check the latest and greatest news. there are even people who visit MR only 2,3 times a day..to them, this is news, even in 2 hours when they check back.. :rolleyes:

Comment

Zankin

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2010
By the power of grayskull I think it's just Steve jerking our chain and teasing us. It's working... I'm ready for an upgrade... of course I've been ready for a computer upgrade for months and months, but it's worked... I'm still ready. *grumbles*

Comment

bcb23

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2009
Scottsdale, AZ
I think we should all just accept that Apple no longer makes laptops and desktops: they are a "mobile computing" firm now. The focus appears clearly on iPhone and iPods (of which iPad is a subset). My MBP is over a year old and I would love to replace it, but I think I need to give up and learn to expect less from Apple.

Comment

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
there are people on the world who don't sit in front of their computers all day to check the latest and greatest news. there are even people who visit MR only 2,3 times a day..to them, this is news, even in 2 hours when they check back.. :rolleyes:

Old news is old news, even if you're late in hearing about it.

And sure, anyone could kill time doing a good deal of different things, and get just as many opinions about what they do with their time.

I try not to judge.

I think we should all just accept that Apple no longer makes laptops and desktops: they are a "mobile computing" firm now. The focus appears clearly on iPhone and iPods (of which iPad is a subset). My MBP is over a year old and I would love to replace it, but I think I need to give up and learn to expect less from Apple.

You've joined the, "I am tired of Apple's crap" crowd. It's pretty cold yet crowded down here. No fanfare when new underwhelming products are released. Are you sure you want to join us?

Comment

zorinlynx

macrumors 604
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA

Mine is nearing FOUR years old! If anyone is wanting to replace his laptop it's me! But I refuse to pay top dollar for old tech; count me in on the crowd waiting for a refresh.

Buying right after a refresh is the only way to get the best out of your money. I wish Apple would realize they'd probably sell more units if they would let the price on a specific model slowly come down with time like.. I dunno, EVERYONE ELSE does.

Comment

plaxico44

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2010
PA

Why do you want to replace a year old MBP? Unless your loaded with expendible cash, theres no reason lol

Comment

bcb23

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2009
Scottsdale, AZ
You've joined the, "I am tired of Apple's crap" crowd. It's pretty cold yet crowded down here. No fanfare when new underwhelming products are released. Are you sure you want to join us?

It is a lonely, disillusioned group I am sure, but we have all come to expect better from Apple. What makes Apple so great, historically speaking, has been its devoted fans. Right now it feels as if Apple has turned a bit on them and I feel my loyalty slipping away. In fact, this weekend, I bought my wife a netbook (the first non-Mac purchase in years). It was a sad moment.

Comment

bcb23

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2009
Scottsdale, AZ
Why do you want to replace a year old MBP? Unless your loaded with expendible cash, theres no reason lol

I have the 15inch with that crappy resolution. I cannot take it anymore. 1440x900 is just pathetic. It is barely above the resolution my wife's $500 netbook came with. And I am fortunate my wife encourages me to get new toys when I want them :D

Comment

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
It is a lonely, disillusioned group I am sure, but we have all come to expect better from Apple. What makes Apple so great, historically speaking, has been its devoted fans. Right now it feels as if Apple has turned a bit on them and I feel my loyalty slipping away. In fact, this weekend, I bought my wife a netbook (the first non-Mac purchase in years). It was a sad moment.

I've meet fans that have been in the group since Jobs came back in the late 90's . . . I am talking clone computing owners.

I've been in the group since the $1799 tower left the lineup. With the iPhone, iPod Touch, and "iPod Touch on steroids with little new features whose soul purpose is to milk the app store for every penny," there are a few more than usual.

Speaking for myself, I get the feeling that Apple has about ten people responsible for R&D and do all of it for every product. So Apple just can't keep up with the products that aren't making them millions.

Comment

batchtaster

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2008
It is a lonely, disillusioned group I am sure, but we have all come to expect better from Apple.

Based on........ products that you salivated at but they didn't announce because they never existed in the first place? Technology you want but don't actually need because nobody has yet figured out how to make it particularly useful? Options that are niche and satisfy only your individual "needs" and don't match what a regular, average person wants/needs?

Buggered if I can figure out what you people actually want. I doubt you'd even be able to agree on it yourselves, so damned if Apple will ever be able to make you happy.

Better off to stay down there in the cellar in your misery, away from the rest of us. You're happ... satisf.... conten.... whatever.... we're happy.

Comment

KindredMAC

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2003
I have hated how Apple toots its own horn by saying that the entry price of the MacBook Pro has dropped.... IT DID NOT DROP!
They offered a lesser version of the 15" MBP with a mobile integrated graphic chip in it instead of lowering the price on the THEN "entry level" model.

Sorry had to say it.

It's like if they said, "LOOK EVERYBODY WE LOWERED THE PRICE ON THE ENTRY LEVEL MAC MINI!!! YOU CAN GET IT NOW FOR $499!!!" but then when you look at the "new entry level" model it is a stripped down model that has only one USB port and no optical drive and smells like rotting cheese.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.