Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mabhatter

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2009
It amazes me how one company can literally bring multiple very large international third-party companies to its knees with demand (ie UPS/FedEx).

I bet FedEx flew out US and other country-based aircraft to China to help distribute supplies. I wouldn't doubt if 1 FedEx plane takes off every 15 minutes just for Apple.

There isn't much FLEXIBILITY in supply for shipping. The shippers run it calculated very tightly. All the planes go "full" and the various shipping tiers decide when you get your package. So when Apple need a dozen planes to stuff with iGoodies they just don't exist.

Justin33

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2013
Fires on airplanes are bad, especially when the nearest fire station is 7 miles away.

Straight down, if you're lucky, but you're not going to aim it straight down and pull out of the dive, Bugs Bunny style.

Yes, they are rare, but not impossible. If they weren't rare, steps would be taken to make them so.

Plus, that sealed area can become unsealed should a hole be burnt into the fuselage, where you not only have a fresh source of air, but a 600mph fan blowing it in.

Exactly. I'm in flight school and I can tell you the pilots do NOT like flying these things over. A few phones is one thing, thousands in the cargo hold is that much riskier. But if you want a source I'm sure you can find something over at airliners.net or flightaware.

I live in Louisville which is the UPS HQ and I can watch the planes fly in every 2-5 minutes from Alaska when these iphones start arriving. Its crazy.

Last edited:

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
There isn't much FLEXIBILITY in supply for shipping. The shippers run it calculated very tightly. All the planes go "full" and the various shipping tiers decide when you get your package. So when Apple need a dozen planes to stuff with iGoodies they just don't exist.

Are you suggesting Apple don't plan anything?

They just make X million devices, and go into last moment panic mode and run to companies like Fedex with a case full of money saying we need shipping?

Don't you think this is all planned by Apple and shipping orders taken by these companies months in advance ?

Really....

The Barron

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2009
Central California Coast
Stick with Verizon

oh i didn't know that. i have an iPhone 5 and didn't spring for the 5S. in fact the last new iPhone i bought was the 4S thanks to Verizon threatening to end my grandfathered unlimited plan if i took a phone subsidy. i'll be taking the subsidy for the iPhone 6 b/c i plan on getting the most expensive model. then i'm going to switch to T-Mobile and have them pay off my ETF

i've had it with Verizon.
Big mistake! The old adage, "You get what you pay for" is going to come back & bite you in the a** within two weeks of your defection. This is especially true if you live on the west coast or near any other large metro area.

Be ready for the "I told you so!" :eek:

28Gauge

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2011
DFW
Being an employee of non-union FedEx really sucks according to FedEx employees.
----------

It does sometimes. Unfortunately , those times are becoming more frequent.

The Barron

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2009
Central California Coast
Welcome back from the Darkside

I'm switching to Apple from Android ASAP. I like my Nexus 4 and there are lots of exciting things about Android but I also have a lot more invested in the Apple ecosystem with my iPad and other Apple products.

Yep, it is time to cross over to Apple because the game of Keep Up is going to hit a fever pitch staring Tuesday.

You better believe the likes of Amazon, fresh off their funeral for the Fire, Google, Samsung et al, already have their PR Depts. working overtime in the salt mines to counter Apple's Holiday Annihilation of the competition on all fronts, save for giveaways and sucker rebates. Go Apple. :apple:

"This is the most wonderful time of the year!"

EldonChew

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2011
Singapore
One plane can carry 450,000 iPhones..
Apple sold nine million new iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c models three days after the launch of the new iPhones on 20 September 2013

Let's say Apple sells twice that number of iPhone 6(4.7" and 5.5")
18 million/450k = 40 planes..

Apparently 40 planes is enough to "begun displacing competitors' attempts at shipping during the fall."

Or is iWatch on board? :rolleyes:

demodave

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2010
Dallas, TX

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
The good news is that I'm switching from gold to black this go' round, where black was readily available in the Chicagoland area on release day for the 5S. :) The bad news is that the screen is bigger, so demand will negate the advantage of going for the most plentiful color. :(

Here's hoping there's a true pre-order this time. Camped for the 5, would rather NOT do that this time.

Personally, I cannot imagine buying a product sight unseen, nor can I imagine buying one of the first units off the assembly line. But different strokes for different folks, as long as they accept that they are signing up to be lab rats for early life product quality problems.

I have no sympathy for people who get early units and then bitch about them. Sure, you have a right to get quality problems addressed; but whining about it as if they are grievously injured parties is childish. And whining about reasonably obvious design issues after the fact, when they had every chance to wait and check out the product before buying, is obscene.

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
The federal reserve is a privately owned business and the share holders are only privately owned banks.

Umm.. no. There is no such thing as the "federal reserve." There is a Federal Reserve System, which has a number of components, some public, some private. Privately owned banks are among the components of the system.

Fed policy is set by the Governors, who are appointed by the President of the US, and are confirmed by the Senate. The President can remove a Fed Governor for cause.

The Federal Reserve System was set up by Act of Congress, and could be dismantled at any time by the same.

Regarding "ownership", the Fed does in fact generate profits, but these all go to the US Federal government.

MentalFloss

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2012
Yes, they are rare, but not impossible. If they weren't rare, steps would be taken to make them so.
Steps have been taken: Cargo holds are hermetically sealed. Yes, cargo hold fires have happened, but only in cases where regulations have been ignored. The most famous I can think of was a case where oxygen generators were being transported in the cargo hold.

So if you speak about cargo hold fires, you speak about a highly theoretical scenario. I really want to speak to those pilots who are supposedly shaking in their boots for fear of an iPhone fire.
Plus, that sealed area can become unsealed should a hole be burnt into the fuselage, where you not only have a fresh source of air, but a 600mph fan blowing it in.
You're not a very scientifically-minded person, are you?

First of all, the fire would never burn long enough to get through the fuselage. It would run out of oxygen long long before that.

Second, if the fire really burns through the fuselage, it will go out immediately due to the very rapid decompression.

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London
Exactly. I'm in flight school and I can tell you the pilots do NOT like flying these things over. A few phones is one thing, thousands in the cargo hold is that much riskier. But if you want a source I'm sure you can find something over at airliners.net or flightaware.

I live in Louisville which is the UPS HQ and I can watch the planes fly in every 2-5 minutes from Alaska when these iphones start arriving. Its crazy.

Aircrew don't like flying the things over, however, the safety risks aren't absolutely huge the pilots aren't likely to know exactly what they are flying. FedEx aren't likely to put all of their eggs in one basket either. The batteries themselves should be protected from short circuiting when transporting. The IATA Dangerous Goods Regulations apply.

Last edited:

MentalFloss

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2012
I struggle to see this scenario happening you are suggesting:
I am guessing the company you work for does not have corporate customers, or else you would have experienced it yourself.

I have seen that scenario happen very often. Customers are waiting for their contractually agreed supplies. More important customer comes in and moves to the beginning of the line. Other customers have to wait longer. And no, I am not working for some sloppily managed backyard company in some third world country but for one of the top 20 largest tech companies.

Every company prioritizes its customers by "How much does it hurt us if they go to the competition".

JeffyTheQuik

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2014
Charleston, SC and Everett, WA
Steps have been taken: Cargo holds are hermetically sealed. Yes, cargo hold fires have happened, but only in cases where regulations have been ignored. The most famous I can think of was a case where oxygen generators were being transported in the cargo hold.

So if you speak about cargo hold fires, you speak about a highly theoretical scenario. I really want to speak to those pilots who are supposedly shaking in their boots for fear of an iPhone fire.

You're not a very scientifically-minded person, are you?

First of all, the fire would never burn long enough to get through the fuselage. It would run out of oxygen long long before that.

Second, if the fire really burns through the fuselage, it will go out immediately due to the very rapid decompression.

I appreciate the insult, but some of these people may be more scientifically minded than I am:
https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090608130720AAQaokQ
http://www.tc.faa.gov/its/cmd/visitors/data/AAR-420/firesa~1.pdf

and with Li Ion batteries, the ones are small on the iPhones, but the mechanism for a thermal runaway, in theory, can lead to a chain reaction. See here:
http://www.iafss.org/publications/fss/8/375/view

Hence the reason for my "rare, but not impossible". I'd like to change it to "extremely rare, but not impossible."

You seem to be thinking of "impossible, so it should be dismissed".

(and yes, I know that the first one is a "Yahoo Answers" opinion of others.)

I wish I could tell you more.

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
That's just it. Who can outbid Apple's billions and ability to pre-pay everything?

I can think of several. Apple is a big player but they are not alone. If you really want to see big cash reserves, look at Intel.

----------

I appreciate the insult, but some of these people may be more scientifically minded than I am:
https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090608130720AAQaokQ
http://www.tc.faa.gov/its/cmd/visitors/data/AAR-420/firesa~1.pdf

and with Li Ion batteries, the ones are small on the iPhones, but the mechanism for a thermal runaway, in theory, can lead to a chain reaction. See here:
http://www.iafss.org/publications/fss/8/375/view

Hence the reason for my "rare, but not impossible". I'd like to change it to "extremely rare, but not impossible."

You seem to be thinking of "impossible, so it should be dismissed".

(and yes, I know that the first one is a "Yahoo Answers" opinion of others.)

I wish I could tell you more.

I'm sure you are aware that the reason why LiIon batteries are prohibited from air transport for most shipping is lack of proper packing and containment procedures.

If you look at these shipping regulations, there are exceptions so a transport such as this alleged iPhone 6 air shipment can happen. I'm sure there is a cargo master monitoring the hold in flight so no surprises occur.

demodave

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2010
Dallas, TX
Time will tell. AAPL is currently trading almost exactly where it was two years ago - horrible "dead money" investment performance for the past two years.

There have been plenty of short term trade opportunities during that time for sure, but the long term investor has not been rewarded. And no, a 2% dividend is nothing to be all that pleased over.

So, if you believe the "Buy on the rumors, Sell on the news" investing adage......

Which "long term" are you talking about? I made my first stock purchase about ten years ago. I feel quite well rewarded. My highest cost basis is ~$45 (split-adjusted, now up %100). And that was some time in 2011-2012. Again, I feel well rewarded. Would you like to sell today? "A fool and his money..."

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
I'd just like to remind everyone the pilots HATE flying these things over. Imagine the risk of fire with 200,000 iphones packed with hazardous lithium batteries!
You think that's worse than the large amount of jet fuel on the plane?

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
if that is true they wouldn't allow them to leave apple workplace with it. if they take it out in public we would see pictures. So i doubt this is true

No. The phone had to be tested. So they had to be used in real world situations. They put an ugly case around it so you can't tell unless you get up close (like in your hands you take it out of the case). Remember the iPhone hidden in a case that was found at a bar a few years ago.

There is just no way to really get the bugs out so you can comfortably order several BILLION dollars worth of phones and just test it in the lab. So lots of prototypes are in the hands of the debug team. And at this stage we are long past the point where iPhones are being stockpiled. That is if there is any hope of Apple meeting a fraction of the demand for a late September launch.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
I think it's time to become an employee of FedEx.

To be honest, I certainly would not want to be an employee of FedEx. To go a slightly bit PRSI-leaning, but as an Amer. Indian, I certainly wouldn't want to support or sponsor a stadium for a certain NFL team who uses a racial slur for their team's name, and is stubborn against changing it, based on a false sense of "tradition". Same reason why I've moved away from Bank of America.

I doubt the other companies have contracts like this in the first place, they are not going to ship tens of millions of devices in a single weekend around the world like Apple. Apple's likely the only one willing to pay big bucks for this, which would include sat+sun deliveries. Fedex, DHL, and UPS likely already told their fleets to prepare for a weeklong worth of overtimes.

I was lucky the last time I bought my 4S, as it came to me via UPS. I'm hoping the same when I get the new one.

However, the company that would be great to own some share of around this time, is FlightAware. Think of how much revenue they are generating when everyone goes to track the flight their iPhone is on.

BL.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.