Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Four oF NINE

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2011
Hell's Kitchen
I think it's time to become an employee of FedEx.

Being an employee of non-union FedEx really sucks according to FedEx employees.

----------

I'd just like to remind everyone the pilots HATE flying these things over. Imagine the risk of fire with 200,000 iphones packed with hazardous lithium batteries!

You realize they're all individually wrapped and separated, right? It's not an atomic pile.

SakuraSuki

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2013
A ****** company using this ****** way to curb competiton away... That is a shame... iPhone 6 will just as **** as iPhone 5S...no innovation, just spec upgrade... Gonna wait Note 4...this is real good phone, not like some wanna be phablet from a Apple.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
3320afa91e6d6f4fdd6f653bbd7f799f-getty-105132471bg247_atp_world_to.jpg

FedEx on FedEx.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
A ****** company using this ****** way to curb competiton away... That is a shame... iPhone 6 will just as **** as iPhone 5S...no innovation, just spec upgrade... Gonna wait Note 4...this is real good phone, not like some wanna be phablet from a Apple.

Why are you even here. :(

----------

The hard part isn't shipping the stuff. The hard part is getting everything to your assembly line. That includes flashing your OS onto your motherboard. Flashing the OS is the only part I don't understand; I suppose they have a huge mobo flashing station somewhere upstream of assembly, because they can't flash at the end of the line, can they? Do they flash after device assembly but before it goes in the box? That makes no sense either, because that'll open the chance of scratch/dent - plus that would be a tremendous amount of cables.

The firmware will be on the phone before it gets assembled, iOS will most likely be loaded onto the iPhone before packaging.

neuropsychguy

macrumors 68020
Sep 29, 2008
Smart move by Apple. I think that demand is going to be huge. Tuesday could very well be a defining day for Apple, as far as retaining customers and gaining new ones from the Android market.

I'm switching to Apple from Android ASAP. I like my Nexus 4 and there are lots of exciting things about Android but I also have a lot more invested in the Apple ecosystem with my iPad and other Apple products.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Unless the shipping company is breaking a contract of shipping services, they have no legal ground to sue. There is a legal gray zone of "conspiring anti-competitive practice" but that is very tough to prove. Knowing Apple, they dropped a big dime for this. All the competitor has to do is outbid Apple to get shipping time.

That's just it. Who can outbid Apple's billions and ability to pre-pay everything?

brendu

Cancelled
Apr 23, 2009
this will be the first time that i will be pre-ordered an iPhone and i'm definitely looking forward to the near all-nighter staying up until 3am'ish for the website to start accepting orders.

I'm gonna do the same thing I did for the iPhone 5 and wake up at 2:45 to preorder. Worked out last time, I got in the first batch of orders.

Col4bin

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2011
El Segundo
Apple doing it big per usual. Like a boss!

Tell those other companies to go big or go home. Can't wait for Tuesday.

brendu

Cancelled
Apr 23, 2009

Wanting to endure demand is met for your own products isn't in any way an attempt to curb competition. The fact that they are overflowing the shipping channels is simply due to the fact that apple knows they are going to sell MILLIONS of these things in the first few weeks. Sorry if that upsets you. Also, please check out any number of android forums if you hate apple and their products as you seem to be in the wrong place.

----------

Apple doing it big per usual. Like a boss!

Tell those other companies to go big or go home. Can't wait for Tuesday.

Most of them simply can't go big. But that isn't apples problem.

Col4bin

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2011
El Segundo
I'm switching to Apple from Android ASAP. I like my Nexus 4 and there are lots of exciting things about Android but I also have a lot more invested in the Apple ecosystem with my iPad and other Apple products.

After 5 years of iPhone use, I too am pretty heavily vested in Apple's ecosystem. While I don't plan to ever move away from iPad, I would perhaps be willing to explore an Android phone such as the upcoming Nexus Phone 6. At least I can still run all my apps on the iPad, and not feel a total loss.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
I'm sorry, I really cannot understand this thread at all.

People are posting here as if Apple comes along to carriers, they cancel all their pre-booked work for other companies, cast them aside as they are in some way unimportant, and take Apples work instead.

Are we in kindergarten mentality in this thread?

Samsung could pre book a lot of space on a carrier, so could Microsoft, So could Sony, so could "I" to ferry my collection of back yard dust around.

This is a very odd thread.

Its not as if, a car hire firm had cars booked for 1000's of normal people, the US government came along and said cancel the pro-booking for the normal scum US residents, they can wait, we want all the cars for our high class people.

Apple, or anyone else has booked shipping in advance to move the stock it needs to now, and due to this pre booking there may be less space at the moment due to this.

What is the amazing big deal over it?

Really, many adults here are acting like a my dad is bigger than your dad contest at school.

62tele

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2010

People are posting here as if Apple comes along to carriers, they cancel all their pre-booked work for other companies, cast them aside as they are in some way unimportant, and take Apples work instead.

Samsung could pre book a lot of space on a carrier, so could Microsoft, So could Sony, so could "I" to ferry my collection of back yard dust around.

Its not as if, a car hire firm had cars booked for 1000's of normal people, the US government came along and said cancel the pro-booking for the normal scum US residents, they can wait, we want all the cars for our high class people.

Apple, or anyone else has booked shipping in advance to move the stock it needs to now, and due to this pre booking there may be less space at the moment due to this.

Really, many adults here are acting like a my dad is bigger than your dad contest at school.

Why do you frequent a Mac forum when you are obviously incredibly biased and overtly caustic towards Apple?
I think there is a certain awe to the fact that Apple managed it's supply chain and distribution so well. Let's face it, are Samsung or Microsoft so confident in their ability to move such a large volume of product at launch? Apple commands a huge amount of shipping capacity because it's products will sell. This occurs when the Tech Media at large, Android and MS communities deride Apple and swear that, with the loss of Jobs, Apple is no longer innovative and on the brink of meltdown.
By the way, my dog's better than your dog! So there!

brendu

Cancelled
Apr 23, 2009
google, samsung and everyone else can always buy their own aircraft and pay fedex/UPS to operate them only for their shipments

None of the above could outbid apple if apple really wanted to win. But that isn't what any of this is really about.

Edit: sorry, misread your post.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Why do you frequent a Mac forum when you are obviously incredibly biased and overtly caustic towards Apple?
I think there is a certain awe to the fact that Apple managed it's supply chain and distribution so well. Let's face it, are Samsung or Microsoft so confident in their ability to move such a large volume of product at launch? Apple commands a huge amount of shipping capacity because it's products will sell. This occurs when the Tech Media at large, Android and MS communities deride Apple and swear that, with the loss of Jobs, Apple is no longer innovative and on the brink of meltdown.

It's nothing to do with being biased, it's just about not being an idiot, or acting like you are about 3 years old.

News. A large company that decides to launch a lot of it's new products at one point in time, as opposed to spread out over the year as most other companies, do.
Due to this choice, they need to pre book a lot of shipping in a narrow window to move a lot of stock quickly, as I said, they decide to pack it into a small window of the year.
So, they pre book a lot of shipping space.
Now the shipping is taking place, there is Now not so much shipping space for others to use during this narrow window.

And?

That's not anti anything. I just fail to see the "amazement and awe" as this, as what else would you expect any company to do that needs and decides to ship a large amount of stock in a very short timeframe?

You pre book. So ?

Jazper

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
It amazes me how one company can literally bring multiple very large international third-party companies to its knees with demand (ie UPS/FedEx).

I bet FedEx flew out US and other country-based aircraft to China to help distribute supplies. I wouldn't doubt if 1 FedEx plane takes off every 15 minutes just for Apple.

No doubt the costs of this are being directly added to the price of the iPhone.

But yeah, it's pretty ridiculous, FedEx just wants to stay in Apple's good books since they do a lot of their deliveries.

----------

Er, Steve Jobs didn't personally invent all Apple products, I think you'll find he had less impact that you suspect. I guess we'll find out just how good Apple is without Steve Jobs with this next iPhone as it's the first one that he hasn't had a say in.

Wow, I can't wait. My iPhone 6 might be departing China right now!

I heard yours was one that had fallen off the delivery lanes, never to be seen again! :p

Apple Corps

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2003
California
It's a great time for AAPL share holders.

Time will tell. AAPL is currently trading almost exactly where it was two years ago - horrible "dead money" investment performance for the past two years.

There have been plenty of short term trade opportunities during that time for sure, but the long term investor has not been rewarded. And no, a 2% dividend is nothing to be all that pleased over.

So, if you believe the "Buy on the rumors, Sell on the news" investing adage......

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC

Yes several other companies do have the financial clout to book shipments the same way Apple has done here. The big deal is the fact that Apple is the only one confident enough in their ability to move such a massive amount of units during their initial launch. Hence the reason none of those other companies have chosen to do this. No sense in shipping tons of units to sit unsold on store shelves.

So yes the potentially record breaking number of units Apple will sell at launch is very newsworthy. That's pretty much the point of the article to give a glimpse of just how large a launch it could be. Seems like you missed it.

MentalFloss

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2012
You should be complaining about the article, not the thread, as it is the article which suggests exactly that. I have a feeling like you didn't actually read the article.

And yes, when Apple calls, there are indeed many companies that "cancel all their pre-booked work for other companies" to "take up Apple's work instead". Believe it or not, it actually happens.

Southern Dad

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
Shady Dale, Georgia
i remember how hard it was to get an iPhone 4 a month after launch at a store - they basically were taking names and would put you on the list. the average lead time seemed to be ~ 2 weeks.

then when we thought it would get better with the iPhone 4S...it was even worse. i remember i ordered an iPhone 4S 32GB and had to wait 1 1/2 months

When I bought my first iPad, we had to wait for the AT&T models to come out, I asked the FedEx guy what time he got to the Apple Store each day, then made a quick trip or call over right after that time. Took a week to get one.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
Most of my friends are using the iPhone 5. I know the 5s sold more, but still most people that I know seem to be on the 5. I can think of only two people that I know have the 5s.

So Apple may be right that a serious upgrade driven boost is going to help the i6.

MentalFloss

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2012
I'd just like to remind everyone the pilots HATE flying these things over. Imagine the risk of fire with 200,000 iphones packed with hazardous lithium batteries!

Do you have a source for that? I'd be slightly shocked if pilots didn't know that an extensive fire in a cargo hold is close to impossible, seeing how the cargo holds are sealed, and the oxygen would be exhausted very quickly.

In any case, there is much more hazardous material than iPhone batteries which pilots fly every day.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.