Apple Again Tops Holiday Sales With 44% of All New Mobile Device Activations

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 27, 2017.

1. chucker23n1 macrumors 68000

chucker23n1

It's a relevant question. AIUI, the CPU frequency isn't actually available through an API, so this "CPU Dasher64" app may just extrapolate it from other information. Which would make it a guesstimate, not real data.

2. kafka27 macrumors newbie

kafka27

IT IS THE DATA in REAL TIME.

3. chucker23n1 macrumors 68000

chucker23n1

One might think that chart shows: given all activations that occurred over the Christmas Weekend, how many fell to a certain device?

That's not at all what it shows, though. Rather:

In other words, it doesn't say 38.61% of activated phones were the Pixel 2. It says the Pixel 2 was activated 38.61% more during the Christmas weekend than it was activated the prior three weekends. Relative to itself, not to other devices.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 28, 2017 ---
    Not the data it purports to be. It doesn't show the CPU frequency, because iOS doesn't tell it that data. Rather, it estimates it.

4. Wowereit macrumors 6502a

Like most analysts they poll pull data directly out of their rear end

5. kafka27 macrumors newbie

kafka27

Well.. this app.. CPU Dasherx it visualize the CPU frequency in real time... Every time I use an app in the background, the CPU frequency gets changed.

6. justperry macrumors G3

justperry

Well, that may be but if the estimate is fairly accurate it still shows the CPU is throttling.

7. kafka27 macrumors newbie

kafka27

And that link you posted.. it's dated Nov 16 '11...-six years ago.

8. chucker23n1 macrumors 68000

chucker23n1

It's possible that Apple has since re-added an API to get the real CPU frequency, but it's unlikely (on iOS, Apple tends to remove such internals quite aggressively).

Here's a source from 2016, namely from the Geekbench developer:

Please do provide a newer source that says otherwise.

Based on what?

Sorry, but this is circular reasoning.

Does your Settings → Battery screen show a warning? Does a benchmark show a significant deviation from most iPhone 6S benchmarks?

9. pika2000 macrumors 68040

In emerging markets, Apple is selling a 32GB iPhone 6 as an entry level iPhone.

10. DNichter macrumors 604

DNichter

Not consistently and definitely not every phone. Just those with battery issues. I'd rather this than have my phone shut down. I don't keep phones for more than a year so it's kind of a moot point for me.

11. justperry macrumors G3

justperry

I said if, I and you don't know if it's accurate but if it is it shows it's throttling.

My 6S is actually working fine, I am ok with the throttling, I just pointed out that my 6S CPU might be throttling.

12. belvdr macrumors 603

The top graph is titled "Apple Device Activations", which should include any iPads, but shows no data for those. The bottom graph definitely shows iPad activations.

I didn't read the linked article, but these two graphs make me question their data (or their reporting of it).

13. MacBH928 macrumors 68030

MacBH928

14. deanthedev Suspended

deanthedev

As has been pointed out already (since you apparently missed it), that’s not total sales - it’s the INCREASE in sales from the previous weeks.

If the Pixel sold 10,000 units the weekend before, and 15,000 units over the Christmas weekend, that’s an increase of 50%.

If the iPhone X sold 2 million the previous week, and 2.5 million Christmas weekend, it’s only an increase of 25%.

50% seems better than 25%, doesn’t it? Except it’s not.

15. vladi macrumors 6502

With some published numbers I hope some people can finally see how SE is the megaflop instead of being one of the best selling products in portfolio. I don't mind it, I still think it's the best looking phone they have on sale but they either need to turn it into something they don't have like iPod successor but genuine Walkman competitor or drop the price to at least $269 or so.

16. applejpvq macrumors newbie

You have to take that data with caution, remember now phone manufacturers sell phones for as little as $4 in undevelpoed contries, if you go to a country on Africa, Central America, South America (Except Chile, Uruguay and maybe Argentina) the poor side of Asia, The Southest Asia, Russia, East Europe and maybe Mexico, and obviously India, you'll see a lot of Androids, maybe some with Symbian and in rare opportunities iPhones.

17. TallManNY macrumors 601

TallManNY

Face ID and OLED arguably means it outclasses the 8+. But really it is hard to compare a plus size to it. I just can't comfortably fit the Plus size (with a slim case) into my jeans pockets. So that alone makes it a no go for me. So you really have to compare the X to the 8 and then the camera is another nice improvement.

Anyway, they are both are very good phones. I'm going to buy my Mom the 8 instead of the X soon because she knows how to use the home button and hasn't had a chance to learn how to use the swipe gestures of the X.

The really interesting question is if Apple can sell 30 million or so of the X, could it release an even better and more expensive phone? If other manufacturers can't follow Apple into the $999 price level, then they certain can't follow Apple into a higher price. So basically the high end of the smartphone market is going to be not just dominated by Apple but may be solely Apple's.

18. chucker23n1 macrumors 68000

chucker23n1

Sorry, misread that. You're right, of course — assuming that the estimate is roughly accurate, the device appears to be throttled.

19. zipster macrumors 6502

Yes every phone (at least after whatever software update had the 'patch') -- it's literally written into the software to do so.

And plenty of people keep their phone for several years -- so not sure what your personal tech usage has to do with it. Facts are facts.

20. chriscrowlee macrumors 65816

chriscrowlee

I think you have a very skewed version of reality. For $4 you're not getting an Android phone, you're getting a basic phone. For about $30 USD you can get a basic Android phone in most of the developing countries you've mentioned. But in most countries you mentioned, people don't buy data, they use SMS still, so having the feature phones aren't as important. I've spent extensive time in SouthEast Asia and am very familiar with the cellular markets. They're the same as the US... those with more money have iPhones and Android feature phones, those without have dumb phones or cheap smartphones. It's the US that's an anomaly because the markets allow people who can't afford a phone to buy one they shouldn't be buying. Next time you go to a grocery store, look at the shopper ahead of you... sitting there pecking on their iPhone 8, then when it comes time to pay pulls out their food stamps\wic vouchers to pay. Welcome to America, where everyone feels entitled to have the latest phone even if it's at taxpayers' expense.

21. applejpvq macrumors newbie

Yeah, even if you don't believe it, you can get an Android Phone for $4
    www.androidcentral.com/indias-36-smartphone-now-official-4-inch-qhd-display-1gb-ram-and-android-51%3famp
    And, in the countries I mentioned, they don't use SMS, cause it's expensive and most of the people is prepaid, instead, they send a Whatsapp via Wi-Fi or the fortunate ones can use their data plans. Maybe in the US having an iPhone for some people is a must, but in other countries an iPhone is a luxury item, and in some countries, the same $650 iPhone is $1000 or more
    bgr.com/2017/05/04/iphone-price-cheapest-countries-most-expensive/amp/

22. chriscrowlee macrumors 65816

chriscrowlee

A dead link and misinformation. Most developing nations pay fractions of a cent for texts. Which is far less than voice calls. That’s why they use sms more than anything get else. But whatever you believe.

23. toke lahti macrumors 68020

https://flic.kr/p/HYTz12
    I'm still amazed.
    Totally different story on all media/news about this.
    At the end of 2017, more iP6 & iP7 were sold than iPX!

24. JackieInCo macrumors 603

I bought an iPhone 7+ in November because I thought it was the better upgrade then the 8 and X. I got a red 256GB 7+ for $200 less then the 8+ cost.

25. Michael Scrip macrumors 603

It actually lines up with this commonly-said phrase:

"No one will pay $1,000 for an iPhone"

Well... apparently 14% of buyers would pay $1,000 for an iPhone. :p

Also... I think the iPhone 6 is selling well overseas. It's not for sale at Verizon or AT&T... though it might still be available at smaller US carriers. I think India has a lot to do with the large iPhone 6 volume.

You're right... the iPhone 7 was the best-selling iPhone in December. But why is that bad? It's still a great phone. People might want to save some money while still getting a big upgrade over their 5S or 6

This data is a couple months old... didn't we know this already? It's almost March and you're talking about Holiday sales... ;)