Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple Agrees to Replace Overheating First-Generation iPod Nanos in Japan

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Bloomberg reports that Apple has agreed to entirely replace any first-generation iPod nanos for customers in Japan whose devices have exhibited symptoms of overheating.
Apple Inc. said it will offer replacements of iPad Nano music players in Japan that overheat, following calls by the government to take measures to prevent the devices from catching fire.

Apple, based in Cupertino, California, had previously only offered to replace the device's battery and updated its Japan website yesterday by saying it will replace the entire unit.
The Japanese government first expressed concern over the devices nearly two years ago, issuing a warning to consumers regarding potential fire risk. Continued reports of problems led the government to step up its investigation several weeks ago, pressing Apple to explain the cause of the issue.

Late last week, after Apple disclosed problems with a single battery supplier for the device, the Japanese government ordered Apple to make support information on the overheating issue more publicly accessible.

Apple states that it offered the first-generation iPod nano for sale between September 2005 and December 2006. While Apple has not disclosed what it will be replacing affected consumers' devices with, it is unlikely that Apple has a significant number of the devices or batteries remaining in its inventory. Consequently, it seems likely that customers may receive newer-generation iPod nano models as replacements.

Article Link: Apple Agrees to Replace Overheating First-Generation iPod Nanos in Japan

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2008
Does anybody else think that this is a bit late to replace products, 5 years later? Most of the people who bought 1st gen nanos would have upgraded by now. It'd probably be better to just offer them a discount on future Apple purchases...

nickane

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2005
If memory serves, the nanos took over from the minis about 5 years ago. Quite an odd time to offer a freebie...

junior

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2003
Ha. I'm going to go home today and search my cabinet for my first gen nano.
This'll be nice!

aarond12

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2002
Dallas, TX USA
I'm still using my first-gen iPod Nano in my car... although its battery is completely wasted, I haven't noticed any swelling or overheating.

-Aaron-

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2008
It'd be nice if this extended beyond Japan, I've got a 1st gen nano sitting around , too =P

Not in very good condition, but if it wins me a free iPod I'd happily trade it in, haha!

Mr.Berna

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2009
Apple can make new ones

AppleCare replaced my 1st generation iPod nano due to a defect after Apple stopped selling that version. It was engraved. So Apple made a new one shipped directly to me from the plant in China.

I'm sure Apple still has the complete specs for the 1st generation iPod nano, and can manufacture brand new ones to the exact specifications for replacements. The only reason Apple will not replace these nanos with the exact same design, is if a newer nano would cost less to make right now.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
If you trade in a country you must follow its laws - even if it relates to a 5 year old product.

It would be good if Apple replaced these units with newer Nanos!

aughsum

May 6, 2010
what the ****...

i have a 2003 bmw z4 that i just replaced the brakes on... should have just had bmw give me a 2011.

lamadude

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2006
Brussels, BE
It's kind of sad how products that are only a couple of years old are considered completely useless and laughable by everyone... what a waste
(Don't get me wrong, I update my products all the time as well, but sometimes I think I shouldn't)

Ttruvjr

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2010
Houston
Returns?

Will apple also replace 1st gen nanos in the US? I don't see any info on their website about the battery issue. Though it is a bit cliche... Maybe they were just holding it wrong?

kernkraft

macrumors 68020
Jun 25, 2009
Seriously, how old are these models?

Apple must have these overstocked.
If memory serves, the nanos took over from the minis about 5 years ago. Quite an odd time to offer a freebie...

Ha. I'm going to go home today and search my cabinet for my first gen nano.
This'll be nice!

You didn't read the article, just the headline, did you?

what the ****...

i have a 2003 bmw z4 that i just replaced the brakes on... should have just had bmw give me a 2011.

As you would say "what the ****..."

Did your car overheat and was swollen, so the government had to step in to protect your consumer rights? These defects first appeared years ago, it only took this long to act.

By the way, the replacement program doesn't involve replacing worn earbuds. You should get your own brakes too.

yg17

macrumors G5
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
I'm anxiously waiting for a couple frequent posters to defend Apple and Uncle Steve and explain why the Japanese government is just horrible for doing this.

aaaaaaron

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2010
i still rock a nano, maybe i can get it replaced? i know it's only for japan, but i could try :)

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
Will apple also replace 1st gen nanos in the US? I don't see any info on their website about the battery issue. Though it is a bit cliche... Maybe they were just holding it wrong?

I was just thinking that too, what if you took your 1st gen nano into an Apple store, and stated clearly that Apple has recognized that this iPod can cause a fire hazard, and is replacing them, can they replace yours too, as you are concerned about the potential fire hazard. ;)

aaaaaaron

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2010
I was just thinking that too, what if you took your 1st gen nano into an Apple store, and stated clearly that Apple has recognized that this iPod can cause a fire hazard, and is replacing them, can they replace yours too, as you are concerned about the potential fire hazard. ;)

+1 if i have some time i'll try it today, haha

aarond12

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2002
Dallas, TX USA
It's kind of sad how products that are only a couple of years old are considered completely useless and laughable by everyone... what a waste
(Don't get me wrong, I update my products all the time as well, but sometimes I think I shouldn't)
I was the same way, until I started using Apple products. One of my cars has the iPod Nano 4GB first-gen and the other has a second-gen iPod 40GB. Apple's products last a long time so I haven't had to upgrade. That's not to say I haven't upgraded some things -- I have a iPod Classic 80GB too, but it's not relegated to car duty.

-Aaron-

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.