MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

To help new iPhone owners transition from an Android device, Apple uses the "Move to iOS" Android app for transferring content like contacts, message history, photos and videos, web bookmarks, mail account information, calendars, DRM-free songs, wallpapers, and more.

apple-move-to-ios.jpg

This app has been around since 2015, but with the release of iOS 15, Apple is improving the Move to iOS experience.

With iOS 15, Apple will also allow Android users to transfer photo albums, files, folders, and Accessibility settings from their Android devices to their iPhones to allow for a more personalized iPhone usage experience right from the start.

Apple is also making it easier to get the Move to iOS app by implementing a QR code that Android users can scan to be taken to the download link in the Google Play Store.

The new transfer options will be available when setting up a new device running iOS 15 from an Android phone, so the transfer process likely won't be available in full until iOS 15 launches to the public this fall. Apple may also need to release a new version of the Move to iOS app, which is not out as of yet.

Article Link: Apple Aims to Lure Android Users to iPhone With Improved 'Move to iOS' Experience in iOS 15

Corsig

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2008
Apple has switch to them and Android has something too. Some people don’t have a brand loyalty as strong as others. For those people this is great

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
I use both platforms and like different things about each one. I prefer Apple, I have bought in neck deep into the platform and integration of all of my devices but do use a new Android device as well and like it.

bgraham

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2015
United Kingdom
Care to elaborate? What makes you think so? Or are you just going for the post count again?
Global mobile OS market share, January 2018-January 2021:
Android: 74.4% to 71.9%
iOS: 19.6% to 27.5%

Apple is winning over Android users. Obviously it's a pretty slow process given the sheer size of Android users, but iOS and the iPhone lineup has improved markedly in the past few years so I'm not surprised.

arlomedia

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2021
I'm surprised Google allows that! I don't think Apple would. Maybe this rule has changed, but I once had an app version rejected because it included the word "Android" in the release notes (referring to a cross-platform feature).

JosephAW

macrumors 601
May 14, 2012
Apple need to roll out iMessage for Android but require the monthly $1/mo iCloud account to create an account and for network costs and storage. ;)

Reactions: AirunJae

lucansmiles

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2014
Vienna, Austria
I had to migrate TWO independent Android phones to iOS after they bought an iPhone and for both phones this software failed all the time. I gave up frustrated in both cases. This software is a flat out piece of garbage and it‘s not a great experience for Android-leavers to make such a bad FIRST experience with Apple and the iPhone. Very unfortunate..

hlfway2anywhere

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2006
There are quite a bit more than those two but mainly there's more freedom on Android. You might own your iPhone but Apple dictates what you can or cannot do on it like no emulators, torrent clients, Kodi, Fortnite, etc.
The fact that you used Fortnite as an example weakens your point here since there WAS fortnite on iOS until Epic threw a childish fit.

mi7chy

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2014
I had to migrate TWO independent Android phones to iOS after they bought an iPhone and for both phones this software failed all the time. I gave up frustrated in both cases. This software is a flat out piece of garbage and it‘s not a great experience for Android-leavers to make such a bad FIRST experience with Apple and the iPhone. Very unfortunate..

Hence the 3/5 star review. Smarter approach is to set up the iPhone as new and use Google cloud services for calendar, contacts, photos, drive/docs, etc. to sync. That way you can use Apple devices without the lock in.

eboakes

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2009
East Coast

To help new iPhone owners transition from an Android device, Apple uses the "Move to iOS" Android app for transferring content like contacts, message history, photos and videos, web bookmarks, mail account information, calendars, DRM-free songs, wallpapers, and more.

apple-move-to-ios.jpg

This app has been around since 2015, but with the release of iOS 15, Apple is improving the Move to iOS experience.

With iOS 15, Apple will also allow Android users to transfer photo albums, files, folders, and Accessibility settings from their Android devices to their iPhones to allow for a more personalized iPhone usage experience right from the start.

Apple is also making it easier to get the Move to iOS app by implementing a QR code that Android users can scan to be taken to the download link in the Google Play Store.

The new transfer options will be available when setting up a new device running iOS 15 from an Android phone, so the transfer process likely won't be available in full until iOS 15 launches to the public this fall. Apple may also need to release a new version of the Move to iOS app, which is not out as of yet.

Article Link: Apple Aims to Lure Android Users to iPhone With Improved 'Move to iOS' Experience in iOS 15
I just wish that Apple would make it easy for long time Apple users to move data from an older iPhone to a new one. For those of us who started in iTunes with a non-email "legacy" Apple ID, and purchased a ton of music using that ID, (about $7,000 worth) we are locked out of transferring data from a current iPhone to a new one using any of Apple's easier methods. The only way for us to copy data is to back up the current device to a computer, then restore the data to the new iPhone. If we try to use any of Apple's faster and simpler methods, we get pestered incessantly for the password of our original non-email iTunes login. And entering the correct password is to no avail! I've even written to Tim Cook about this. Some assistant just gets back to me and tells me that Apple has no intention of ever fixing this. Or they "refer it to engineering" and no one ever gets back to me. Apple is great with new users. But, they're absolutely terrible at taking care of their longest term customers who have been using their accounts and equipment since the days of the first iPod and the earliest iTunes -- when it ran only on a Mac and not on a PC.

Reactions: grahamwright1

mi7chy

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2014
The fact that you used Fortnite as an example weakens your point here since there WAS fortnite on iOS until Epic threw a childish fit.

Smart consumers don't let companies feuding over profit disrupt their game play. That's another advantage of Android where you can still sideload even if it gets removed from app store. You should be pushing Apple to allow sideloading instead of blindly defending. What if Apple removes all the games that you play? You're just going to sit on your hands and wait?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.