Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
you mean the code/password for your carrier?
if so, if you put the phone in your favorites, this process can happen beforehand.

No, it's an Apple Store verification code in the checkout. They send a code to your phone you type it in on the computer or other device (very time consuming).

To summorize: You have a favorite, (which helps). You click that to go to checkout and it asks you for a verification code that they sent to your phone. I'm not sure if you can get around this.

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
No, it's an Apple Store verification code in the checkout. They send a code to your phone you type it in on the computer or other device (very time consuming).

To summorize: You have a favorite, (which helps). You click that to go to checkout and it asks you for a verification code that they sent to your phone. I'm not sure if you can get around this.

use ApplePay on the phone app..

idk, if you have everything set up, you should be able to pre-order the X in about 10 seconds.

(but hey-- maybe i'm saying too much here :D )

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013

idk, if you have everything set up, you should be able to pre-order the X in about 10 seconds.

Thanks, i'm glad I asked. I had never used Apple Pay. It's about time I do. There's the wallet icon on my Touchbar Mac I never use, although I set it up initially (forgot about it).
I'm rather behind the times with that particular gizmo :D

Last edited:

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
It makes me nervous. I couldn’t even secure a matte black 128GB 7 last year on launch day. I was done ordering by 3 minutes after pre orders went live, too! I feel like there’s no way I’ll be able to secure a 10 on launch even with the phone already saved in my favorites.

How long did you end up having to wait for the 7 you wanted?

code-m

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2006
Doesn’t seem to be available in the U.K. for those of us on the upgrade programme.

At least not yet.

- D

To my knowledge the IUP is not available in Canada either. I would love the possibility to take advantage of it as I usually upgrade my iPhone ever 12-18 months. Unlike others I can afford to buy my iOS and Mac hardware outright, though I find with the iPhone specifically, as I prefer something extremely mobile and a good camera for those opportunities while on vacation always helps to have the latest hardware offering.

Had the Dual rear camera tech made its way on the 4.7” iPhone 8, I would have upgraded to that instead. Though FaceID is interesting along with the dual rear camera OIS and the bezel-less OLED display, the price hike has left my present position on the fence if I want to purchase or wait till next year.

Like many I will try my luck on Oct 27 for delivery in the month of Nov, if I do not have it sometime before the December holiday season, I will consider waiting till next year.

Millionaire2K

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2011
Keep telling yourself applying for a loan to buy a phone every year is no different than just paying cash... well cash as in on a credit card which gets me 4% cash back and I pay it off in a week... but yeah... keep telling yourself that.

Can you please point me to this 4% cash back CC?

Thanks.
[doublepost=1508597320][/doublepost]
Think again. One inquiry on your credit report lowers your score... be it 5 points or 20, it lowers it... FACT.

You're right, the 1 inquiry I made a few months ago really tanked my score.

ZwaVtd3.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Zaned303

Renho

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2014
SR, CA
No

No not 10 seconds. I have done many test runs with the 8. I have mine saved to fav and yes use Apple Pay will be faster. But it has a down payment screen, and you have to check 2 boxes for the upgrade and sending back ur old phone stuff. And then there is the picking a time window option that will take more time too. Like 2 extra screens. And clicking next at the very top of the app is a little awkward..

For the record IUP was harder for them which made it better for us. So this Pre approval does screw us even if it doesn’t so called make it faster for them during checkout.
[doublepost=1508597695][/doublepost]
It's still one click though?

Heck no, so much more to do other than choose Phone.. if you buy Out right it will be faster then with a carrierzz
[doublepost=1508597767][/doublepost]
Thanks, i'm glad I asked. I had never used Apple Pay. It's about time I do. There's the wallet icon on my Touchbar Mac I never use, although I set it up initially (forgot about it).
I'm rather behind the times with that particular gizmo :D

I have never used Apple either till last week. It’s so much better and faster in stores. I was just practicing for pre order but am going to use it for everything now..

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
No
No not 10 seconds. I have done many test runs with the 8. I have mine saved to fav and yes use Apple Pay will be faster. But it has a down payment screen, and you have to check 2 boxes for the upgrade and sending back ur old phone stuff. And then there is the picking a time window option that will take more time too. Like 2 extra screens. And clicking next at the very top of the app is a little awkward..
oh.. i'm talking about buying the phone..

not financing/down payments/oldphone/etc.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
If you need a loan to get a phone, maybe you shouldn't be getting it in the first place. I know I sound like an elitist or something, but still....

Costco and target already having deals on 8 and 8 Plus but only if you finance. No reason to pay in full

Millionaire2K

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2011
WTF hahaha

Taking a loan to buy a phone? Hahaha

This is hilarious

Sir, it's not a "loan" in the normal sense. If I have 200k in my bank and Apple says I don't have to give them 1k upfront why would I? Since they are charging me 0% interest I would rather my money make me money.

Reactions: Zaned303

stulaw11

Suspended
Jan 25, 2012
Nonsense. Educate yourself before speaking "porkies".

Taxes + AC+ must be paid on month one to Apple with 1/24th cost of the phone to the Bank. So both Taxes + AC+ are lost if you upgrade after 12 months.

From the T&Cs:
  • First Installment Payment. Your first installment payment under your Installment Loan will be authorized on your credit card at the time of purchase, pick-up, or shipment and will be processed within three days. For purchases made at an Apple Retail Store, all applicable taxes and fees due on the purchase of the Financed iPhone and AppleCare+ are included in your first installment payment to Bank. For purchases made on apple.com, your credit card will be charged with two separate transactions: (1) applicable taxes and fees on the full retail price of the Financed iPhone and AppleCare+ will be paid to Apple; and (2) the first payment of your Installment Loan will be paid to Bank.
There. Off Dr. Google.

You said then: ""Paying only half the price." And you said now: "So either way I'd be spending that money."
I said then, and repeat: "Not really"

Why?

First, not debating your financial standing. Or the use of money which, of curse, is entirely yours to dispense as you see fit. But you were leading the unaware by simplification:
  1. actual loss of 50% of the sales tax payment: If you live in a sales tax state (other than Alaska, Delaware, Montana, New Hampshire, Oregon, in alpha order) then half the taxes, accrued to Apple in month one, are lost.
  2. actual loss of one year of AC+ protection: You paid for a two-year accidental protection to cover two hardware incidents, which if not used in year one the protection will be lost since it does not accrue to your new device.
  3. potential credit downgrade as lenders do not grade kindly the excessive use of borrowing (10% of your credit balance) and/or the number of hard pulls on your credit history (within two year window).
These might be inconsequential to you, but are worth mentioning as caveats to "paying only half the price".
[doublepost=1508571795][/doublepost]

Sorry dude. Can only speak off the Terms and Conditions as published.

• First Installment Payment. Your first installment payment under your Installment Loan will be authorized on your credit card at the time of purchase, pick-up, or shipment and will be processed within three days. For purchases made at an Apple Retail Store, all applicable taxes and fees due on the purchase of the Financed iPhone and AppleCare+ are included in your first installment payment to Bank. For purchases made on apple.com, your credit card will be charged with two separate transactions: (1) applicable taxes and fees on the full retail price of the Financed iPhone and AppleCare+ will be paid to Apple; and (2) the first payment of your Installment Loan will be paid to Bank.
There. Off Dr. Google.

The more times you say it wrong does not make you correct

What you quoted says you pay the TAX on the PHONE and TAX on APPLECARE up front; NOT that you pay the $199 Applecare up front. That's simply not correct. You pay your 0-10% state sales tax on $999 phone and 0-10% state sales tax on $199 Applecare up front. That's it.

Otherwise, why is the 64gb X $41.63/month without Applecare over 24 months and $49.94/month with Applecare over 24 months if you are paying $199 Applecare with your first payment? The monthly payment would be the same if you were paying the $199 up front for Applecare. But that $8.31 extra over 24 months IS your $199 Applecare.

Yes you pay tax on the $199 so you are out a whopping 50% of the sales tax on Applecare, a whole few bucks; but no you do not pay for Applecare for 2 years if you dont keep the phone 2 years.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zaned303 and Ntombi

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
If you need a loan to get a phone, maybe you shouldn't be getting it in the first place. I know I sound like an elitist or something, but still....

I don’t think it’s ‘need’ in all cases. It’s simply how people are used to phone contracts working. $99 down then $40 a month - actually you’re paying the phone off, like a car bought on finance.

Aibocyrus

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2015
Orlando, FL
How long did you end up having to wait for the 7 you wanted?
I ended up waiting like two days, but I was able to find one for in store pickup the Sunday after launch. Wasn’t that bad, but the supply constraints also weren’t as bad with the 7 plus as they will be with the X.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
I ended up waiting like two days, but I was able to find one for in store pickup the Sunday after launch. Wasn’t that bad, but the supply constraints also weren’t as bad with the 7 plus as they will be with the X.

All that's known about the supply restraints for the X are based on rumour and speculation.

Jimpilot

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2014
No
For the record IUP was harder for them which made it better for us. So this Pre approval does screw us even if it doesn’t so called make it faster for them during checkout.
[doublepost=1508597695][/doublepost]..

So it unscrewed (is that a word) us and made it all even, a true first come first serve plan.

Reactions: Ntombi

- rob -

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2012
Oakland, CA
I've been buying and selling my old iPhone and family members' since the 3GS. I'm tired of that game, and craigslist. It does squeeze out more cash, but the cost is time, hassle and lost value because they sit in a drawer and aren't sold immediately.

So this year I'm selling my 7 and hopefully it will be the last of my iPhones I list on Craigslist.

I also do believe that apple will do everything possible to provide the X to IUP members before general sales, because they have every incentive to make this experience great for customers. Much more so than for regular pre-orders.

joueboy

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2008
It's not about that for me. It's about upgrading every year without having to worry about selling the previous device.
I intended to use the upgrade program for many years to come-- so I'm effectively paying only half the price for every phone before the very last one I use while on the program.
You know what they say whatever floats your boat, in this case whatever makes the Apple float.:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.