Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

underdog1234

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2014
Has any one in the UK had any joy buying an iphone from Currys or Argos on pre order day? I want to get it from there as i get 8% off through my work but will just pay full price if i have no chance of getting one.

mgauss7

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2009
Miami
If you need a loan to get a phone, maybe you shouldn't be getting it in the first place. I know I sound like an elitist or something, but still....
too late, people will sell their shoes and t shirts in order to get a X
even my non apple friends are gonna get the X

Last edited by a moderator:

wigby

macrumors 68030
Jun 7, 2007
They do exist, and some of us have them. Look into a smaller bank or a credit union, you might be surprised at what’s available.
I have. I'm not surprised. All pathetic rates.
[doublepost=1508608263][/doublepost]
Or the stock market, 23% return so far this year.
50% return on my AAPL a few years back but current market is a bubble about to burst so I'm looking for something between the market rates and the insulting rates of CDs, credit unions and banks.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
Unfortunately, customers new to IUP are not elegible for preapproval. They’ll have to apply in the moment, wait the couple of minutes for approval, and then continue the preorder process.

That is the only reason I’m not switching to IUP this year. It’s a good deal otherwise.
I was thinking I can save a nickel and just do the IUP but it won't happen this year. Ill just buy the phone outright. Next year ill go through IUP. I too think its a pretty sweet deal especially since I'm not going back and forth between iPhone an Android.

Apple can guarantee a certain amount of phones will be sold every year. This is good for investors. Additionally, people will be sure they can get the updated phone and don't have to break the bank to do it. I wonder how long this can last though? It is a good way to keep people locked into Apples ecosystem. Its low-key brilliant.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ntombi

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Yes, it's just putting iPhone Upgrade Program customers on par with regular customers. I'm sure someone who pre-ordered iPhone 8 using this pre-approval process can confirm.

That is exactly what it does. I did this for 1UP with my iPhone 8. You fill out all the loan info and your carrier information and click... then you get an email that everything is approved and you are ready to order on the announced order date. Then when the orders open up, you just go to your cart and with one click you are done.

Taxes + AC+ must be paid on month one to Apple with 1/24th cost of the phone to the Bank. So both Taxes + AC+ are lost if you upgrade after 12 months.

From the T&Cs:
  • First Installment Payment. Your first installment payment under your Installment Loan will be authorized on your credit card at the time of purchase, pick-up, or shipment and will be processed within three days. For purchases made at an Apple Retail Store, all applicable taxes and fees due on the purchase of the Financed iPhone and AppleCare+ are included in your first installment payment to Bank. For purchases made on apple.com, your credit card will be charged with two separate transactions: (1) applicable taxes and fees on the full retail price of the Financed iPhone and AppleCare+ will be paid to Apple; and (2) the first payment of your Installment Loan will be paid to Bank.

You are misunderstanding what happens. You pay only the TAX on the device and AppleCare+, not the whole AC+ fee up front. The AC+ charge is spread out across the 24 payments, so if you 1UP next year, you only paid for twelve months of AC+.

You can see the charges here from my 8 this year and 7 last year.

So all you "lose" in a sense is half the tax you paid on AC+.

Screen Shot 2017-10-21 at 11.11.19 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-10-21 at 11.10.55 AM.png

Last edited:

Fthree

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2014
Keep telling yourself applying for a loan to buy a phone every year is no different than just paying cash... well cash as in on a credit card which gets me 4% cash back and I pay it off in a week... but yeah... keep telling yourself that.

what about the people who have paid off houses and cars and don't use credit other than the savvy 0% interest loan to get a phone? ESPECIALLY if they are frequent upgraders and do not want to go through the hassle of selling through CL, eBay, etc. Ive thought about it a million times before doing the program (as i always paid cash for most of my past phones) and the same basic conclusions come up:

A. I like getting the new phones nearly every year
B. I don't trust selling it myself to anyone.

If your not a frequent upgrader it is still smarter to purchase on the 0% interest loan to keep your money accruing more interest though investments. (.01% is still better than 0%)

ALSO some people do need these types of programs to even get a phone. They also know what they are getting into but will hopefully do right. I guess you should just be thankful you are able to look down on them. (that is a sad joke btw)--- they may even be doing better by getting the loan if it affords them to invest and collect more than the 0%.

Reactions: Zaned303

Tapiture

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2016
If you need a loan to get a phone, maybe you shouldn't be getting it in the first place. I know I sound like an elitist or something, but still....
I don’t think you sound elitist I think you sound reasonable. I think a lot of people find it hard to spend 1000 bucks on something that you use to text and read whilst your sitting on the toilet. Especially those in lower income brackets.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Some are stating this locks in a phone. If that is the case I think Apple just released another perk of the upgrade program. Still not keen on the forced Apple care, myself. Edit: seems that’s not actually the case. Oh well. The program definitely isn’t for me then lol.

stulaw11

Suspended
Jan 25, 2012
That is exactly what it does. I did this for 1UP with my iPhone 8. You fill out all the loan info and your carrier information and click... then you get an email that everything is approved and you are ready to order on the announced order date. Then when the orders open up, you just go to your cart and with one click you are done.

You are misunderstanding what happens. You pay only the TAX on the device and AppleCare+, not the whole AC+ fee up front. The AC+ charge is spread out across the 24 payments, so if you 1UP next year, you only paid for twelve months of AC+.

You can see the charges here from my 8 this tear and 7 last year.

So all you "lose" in a sense is half the tax you paid on AC+.

View attachment 726553 View attachment 726554

Another tip is that even if you have a carrier payment plan you can still kind of do this.

You have to pay the $199 up front plus sales tax, but Applecare+ lets you cancel at any time and they prorate it.

So if you trade up after 12 months you paid half of Applecare+ like IUP and then receive $99.50 back from Apple; minus the lesser of 10% or $25 of that as a cancellation fee. So you would get $89.55 back.

Basically a $9.95 difference if you dont have IUP, but you can still do Applecare for only 1 year if you trade up devices.

https://www.apple.com/legal/sales-support/applecare/applecareplus/docs/applecareplusnaen.html
8.1 Single Pay Plans

You may cancel this Plan at any time for any reason. If you decide to cancel this Plan, you may call Apple, or you may send or fax written notice with your Plan Agreement Number to AppleCare Administration, P.O. Box 149125, Austin, TX 78714-9125, U.S. (fax number 916-405-3973). You must send a copy of the Plan’s original proof of purchase with your notice. Unless local law provides otherwise, cancellation refunds will be provided as follows:

(a) If you cancel within thirty (30) days of your Plan’s purchase, or receipt of this Plan, whichever occurs later, you will receive a full refund less the value of any benefits provided to you under the Plan.

(b) If you cancel more than thirty (30) days after your receipt of this Plan, you will receive a pro rata refund of the original purchase price. The pro rata refund is based on the percentage of unexpired Plan Term from the Plan’s date of purchase, less (a) a cancellation fee of twenty-five ($25) dollars or ten percent (10%) of the pro-rata amount, whichever is less, and (b) the value of any benefits provided to you under the Plan."

Im still on the fence having never broken an iphone owning since the 3GS. $99.50 plus $29 deductible is a big amount to pay in for the gamble of something not happening in 12 months; even if the screen replacement on the X is $199 (the plus is $169 now).

If you break the screen you're talking all of $70.50 difference in the grand scheme of a $1,000 phone; again assuming a $199 repair (wish theyd announce this cost soon here)

If it's a $249 repair that becomes a totally different discussion at an over $125 difference.

Last edited:
Reactions: Luba and Weaselboy

Pez555

macrumors 68020
Apr 18, 2010
For those in the UK, this is the furthest screen I can get to...I assume we just need to wait for the option to reserve the X via online (not store).

Attachments

• A1C9E1BF-2DAF-47F1-892F-5C651E4EBEEF.jpeg
    A1C9E1BF-2DAF-47F1-892F-5C651E4EBEEF.jpeg
    252.8 KB · Views: 119

Penn Jennings

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2010
Michigan

.. That would be putting it lightly...

"hey, if you don't have about $1,400 in your pocket right now for a phone then you should kick rocks ..."

That sounds like something that any decent person would say (not). Thinking it wasn't the sad part, saying it out loud was.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
That assumes people actually invest that money rather than spend it on something else equally as frivolous as a $1000 phone.

Considering how much debt and how little savings the average person has, that is not a safe assumption.
If it's in a bank then the likely hood isn't bad. A >0 chance is still better than 0.

zejjez

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2017
This is not leasing, it would be more akin to financing. And financing at 0%

Paying cash is no different or makes you no more affluent.

Id rather have the $999 in my pocket now and pay it off over time and in 12 months get the next newest phone only having invested in 50% of that $999; not what I can sell it sell for, dealing with Paypal, shipping, buyer scams, etc.
Ok, so here is what I am not understanding about this "upgrade" program. And the cellular company upgrade program as well...

I buy the phone for $1000 on an installment plan.
After 1 year I have paid $500 of it because it was a 2 year installment plan. So, $500 is gone from my pocket at this point.
The new phone comes out and I trade my current phone in having paid for half of it...$500 spent.
The new phone I buy is also bought with a 2 year installment plan.

Aren't I essentially losing that initial $500 when the day arrives that I don't upgrade? I will need to pay the full balance of the phone I currently have which is $1000. So, I am out $1500 at that point.

Maybe I am misunderstanding how the trade in option works.

Luba

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2009
Ok, so here is what I am not understanding about this "upgrade" program. And the cellular company upgrade program as well...

After 1 year I have paid $500 of it because it was a 2 year installment plan. So, $500 is gone from my pocket at this point.
The new phone comes out and I trade my current phone in having paid for half of it...$500 spent.

Aren't I essentially losing that initial $500 when the day arrives that I don't upgrade? I will need to pay the full balance of the phone I currently have which is $1000. So, I am out $1500 at that point.

I think the key thing is the resale value. Under the program you pay 50% to use the phone for the first year, and you give back the phone (trade-in) to do it all over again. You could pay it off completely if you thought if you could sell the old phone yourself for more than 50%. If the resale value is close to 50%, then the program would be convenient for you as you wouldn't have to go through the work of selling it yourself. Hope that helps.

preetb

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2013
Mars
I think the key thing is the resale value. Under the program you pay 50% to use the phone for the first year, and you give back the phone (trade-in) to do it all over again. You could pay it off completely if you thought if you could sell the old phone yourself for more than 50%. If the resale value is close to 50%, then the program would be convenient for you as you wouldn't have to go through the work of selling it yourself. Hope that helps.

Reactions: Daveydawg

heartlegs

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2014

What? Its a 0% loan of 1k. Only disadvantage is a hard pull on your credit, which doesn't matter unless you're planning to buy a house that year. So if you dont know when to take 0% loan then.. well, get better with your finances.

preetb

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2013
Mars
Much ado about nothing. The X isn't worlds better than its predecessors. iPhones are now basically commodity items along with the rest of the smart phones. It may be news to you, but it won't make you smarter, richer or more attractive. But it will help wreck the environment, damage the health of assembly workers, and make Tim and his mafia even richer.

ke-iron

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2014
Well I’m buying mine outright so I guess I’m behind

No. This is only the credit check part of the loyalty program being done in advance. They still have to log on the 27th like everyone else to purchase the phone. First come first serve. I’m buying outright so it should be faster for me, I will have the silver back!

Reactions: iapplelove

stulaw11

Suspended
Jan 25, 2012

Of course you arent getting to use the phone for free. You are paying the your usage and the depreciation. That $999 X will be worth $500-600 (whatever it is) in a year when the new model comes out, not $999 still.

You have the option to buy out the other 50% of the payments; BUT unless you can go sell it for more than that buyout price then why would you want to lose money? Or you can buy it out and use it forever or give it to family etc. You own the phone after you make all 24 payments.

iphones do hold their value so it is typically worth more than 50% after a year where you could buy out the 50% remaining and sell the phone privately, but not a ton of profit. It depends if you want to deal with selling it and all the scammers out there to make $50 or $75.

The problem this year is the 8 is already out so 7/7 Plus average selling prices already took a crap. It's not like prior years where all new devices were out same day and anyone wanting to save money would buy the old that would result in profit selling it the day after getting your new device.

For example, if you had a 7 plus 128gb then after 12 months you still owe about $435. Theyre only selling in the $525 to $540 range on the website Swappa before Paypal fees and shipping (seller pays it from that price). Swappa takes $20 for anything over $500, paypal takes 2.9% plus $.30 (or $16 on $540) and shipping with tracking will run you say $10. That $540 quickly becomes $495, you owe $435. And once people get their Xs the market will be flooded with even more 7 series driving prices down even more.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.