Apple Among 53 Companies Supporting Transgender Student in Supreme Court Case

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MacRumors, Mar 2, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple and 52 other major companies have signed a Supreme Court brief in support of seventeen-year-old Gavin Grimm, a young transgender man who's fighting with his local school district for the right to use the bathroom of his corresponding gender identity (via The New York Times).

Other than Apple, the tech companies include Amazon, Microsoft, PayPal, Twitter, Tumblr, Yelp, eBay, Airbnb, and more. There are also a few companies not in the tech field that have signed the brief, among them including GAP, Warby Parker, Williams-Sonoma, and MAC Cosmetics.

[​IMG]

All of the companies signed a brief that will be filed today by gay rights organization the Human Rights Campaign, who is urging the Supreme Court to rule in Grimm's favor. Grimm is represented by the American Civil Liberties Union in his fight against the Gloucester County School Board in his home state of Virginia. The case dates back to 2015 and the Supreme Court agreed to rule on it back in October of 2016.
    Grimm's case is heating up in the face of President Donald Trump's decision to remove guidelines put in place by the Obama administration, specifically covering the use of public bathrooms, showers, and locker rooms by transgender students. The previous rules allowed transgender individuals to use the bathroom of their corresponding gender identity, but now it's up to the states to decide whether or not to support the guidelines or put in place a more restrictive system.

Last week, when Trump's decision was announced, Apple spoke out against the move and reiterated on its belief that "everyone deserves a chance to thrive in an environment free from stigma and discrimination." The Cupertino company also vocally disagreed with Trump's immigration executive order, joining another legal brief supported by nearly 100 U.S. companies in opposition to that immigration policy.

Apple has long supported and fought for the rights of LGBTQ individuals, marching in the annual San Francisco pride parade each summer and condemning legislation that would freely allow businesses to turn away gay and lesbian customers -- which was signed into law by Mike Pence in Indiana two years ago. A subsequent amendment to the religious freedom legislation was passed in the weeks after the initial law was signed, granting more protection to LGBTQ customers in the state of Indiana.

For the new case regarding Gavin Grimm, the Supreme Court is set to hear oral arguments from both sides at the end of March.

Note: Due to the political nature of the discussion regarding this topic, the discussion thread is located in our Politics, Religion, Social Issues forum. All forum members and site visitors are welcome to read and follow the thread, but posting is limited to forum members with at least 100 posts.

Article Link: Apple Among 53 Companies Supporting Transgender Student in Supreme Court Case

2. 1080p macrumors 68020

1080p

Why not remove all gender signs from doors and make all restrooms co-ed?

3. JGRE macrumors 6502a

JGRE

Trump is an idiot an a poor excuse of a president.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 2, 2017 ---
    Actually, at the technical University of Twente (the Netherlands) they have this already for more then 20 years.

4. patseguin macrumors 65816

patseguin

I am really, really, sick of reading all this transgender/bathroom/etc. crap. The human species is male and female. If someone makes a CHOICE to live a deviant lifestyle, I don't see why they should get special attention and privileges.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 2, 2017 ---
    Don't be another liberal robot spouting what hear other people saying. Trump did not take away anyone's rights. His decision was to leave these policies to the state level.

5. newdeal macrumors 68020

Time to get rid of gender bathrooms then or people are impinging on my right as a straight man to use whatever bathroom I want when other men can use it no problem. Who is to say that I don't feel like a woman but chose to dress as a man? Trust me when a bunch of dudes start going into the womens bathroom and dropping big smelly dumps they won't be a fan, and when all the women start taking up the stalls in the mens bathroom because their line is too long the men won't be a fan either

6. Paul Dawkins Suspended

Paul Dawkins

What the **** Apple? I didn't know Apple is that stupid.

7. Jsameds macrumors 68030

8. gnasher729, Mar 2, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2017

gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

If the transgender male is the slightly overweight person with the blue "ACLU" then I as a male have no objection for him using the male toilet, and I think many females would be surprised / worried / weirded out if he followed Trump's instructions and used the female toilets.

That's a deeply un-christian attitude. There's no deviant life style. God in his infinite wisdom gives some people the wrong body, and many affected fix their problem. Even in Iran, the religious leaders accept transgender people and _encourage_ them to make changes to live in the right body. Do you really want to show yourself as being more backward than these people?

What you say is like saying "members of the human species have two arms and two legs". Well, some don't. That doesn't make them deviant.

9. bigandtasty macrumors 6502

bigandtasty

10. samcraig macrumors P6

Trump didn't make any statement on this matter. So is your support merely blind?

11. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

Dont spout the conservative drivel. All people should be treated equally. Civil rights are a federal matter.

12. jcmeyer5 macrumors 6502

13. iMi macrumors 6502a

iMi

The fact that you think it's a choice shows just how poorly informed and ignorant you are. Have some tolerance and compassion. Besides, how does this impact you in the first place? Why do you care? Trump is a con artist and a criminal with deep ties to Russia, white supremacy and troublesome special interests. He is a disgrace.

14. Jsameds macrumors 68030

The Trump administration rescinded the guidance that the Obama administration put in place.

I support Trump on this matter.

15. samcraig macrumors P6

The question is - do you support the school district, not Trump.

16. alexgowers macrumors 65816

More congressmen have been arrested for crimes in bathrooms than trans people. There is no case and in fact on the logic of this we should ban all government workers from using the bathroom. Also we need to get religion out of schools and politics and eradicate such backward opinions.

17. dannyyankou macrumors 603

dannyyankou

Did he change his gender to male on his birth certificate? He should be able to use the bathroom if so.

Edit: Just looked into it, he did have his gender changed. He should absolutely be able to use the men's bathroom.

18. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

The difference is: One is a transgender person who goes where he or she belongs, which just doesn't agree with his or her birth certificate. The other group you are talking about are a bunch of perverted *******s. If a "dude" goes to the women's bathroom then I'm quite sure there will be a lot of volunteers to drag him out. By his ears if he is lucky.

19. bigandtasty macrumors 6502

bigandtasty

Reminds me of the whole bathroom stall foot tapping Larry Craig debacle in Minneapolis bathroom 10 years back

20. niploteksi macrumors regular

Will this make people boycott Apple products?

21. Paul Dawkins Suspended

Paul Dawkins

God didn't give him or them anything, evolution did.

22. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

I would want to see Trump's birth certificate.

23. Jsameds macrumors 68030

24. mytdave macrumors 6502

If people are wondering why "Apple's corporate reputation [is] in slow decline", support for this kind of nonsense is one of the reasons why. That, plus neglecting the Mac for so long.

25. Boston007 macrumors 6502

Boston007

WELL SAID