Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
That's really no different than buying a house, getting the keys from the original home owner and not changing the locks and continue to use the old keys. Who really is responsible for the security in your house?
That's exactly what I've been trying to say to these people. All I can do is secure my own stuff. If other people don't it's not my problem. Everyone is responsible to secure their own devices and for people who don't do it properly, it's still up to the individual to protect themselves from idiots. Sorry, that's how the world works.

ajfahey

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2001
Moorpark, CA
Apple can try to justify Homekit all they want but the fact is that, currently, the Amazon device is much more versatile. Amazon has developed the Echo to the point where anyone can use it easily and it controls just about everything. Sorry Apple, your blowing it on this one.

As far as security? Sure, it would be nice if Amazon had more emphasis on security but for me, I can care less if someone wants to turn my living room light on and off.
How do you feel about them being able to lock and unlock your doors, control your perimeter security or snoop the video on the cameras inside your house?

Reactions: tracker_oz

tracker_oz

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2002
Competition is good for any industry. Unless the Echo and the platforms it integrates with have a "Note 7 moment" and there are reports that the systems were compromised, I think Apple is going to trail Amazon and others in this space for the foreseeable future.

I was about to agree until I thought of the ramifications of getting security wrong on a platform regarding home security! Whom is responsible for a compromised system that allows someone to unlock my house for instance? It was just this sort of thinking that has led to Android being such a security mess now.

While I believe Apple is actually using this for more reasons than security (e.g. money), they simply cannot afford the black eye a security bungle would cause. Apparently Amazon and Google can get away with it.
[doublepost=1485651294][/doublepost]
Well as far as IOS goes that is incorrect. People enjoy a stable, secure os for their phone.

It may not be the same for Home automation.

I agree. But wait until someone hacks it and the bitching and moaning starts!

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Apple is too late. Seems like every person at work has or got Alexa over Christmas and love it. They missed out big time.

There's no guarantee those people will continue to love Alexa 3 months from now, or that they won't trade up to HomeKit when a better alternative presents itself.

It's not about who does it first, but about who does it best.

newyorkone

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2009
IMHO, I feel like Apple's approach is overkill and a bit excessive, and Amazon's approach is too nonchalant. Apple Homekit's approval process needs to be simpler, while still maintaining the security.

rickyipcw

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2016
HomeKit chip and W1 chip sound like some greedy business trick. Months of certifying process could mean missing a market opportunity.

Kajje

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2012
Asia
What about eve drop for in your toilet bowl (*)

(*) comes with integrated pee-cam where law allows.

EdT

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2007
Omaha, NE
That's really no different than buying a house, getting the keys from the original home owner and not changing the locks and continue to use the old keys. Who really is responsible for the security in your house?
It is no longer just your house that you are endangering. Hackers have broken into IOT devices and used them to attack companies and websites that had no direct connection to the people whose devices were hacked. Not to turn on or off lights, not to open locks, not to steal data from that house but to go after someone else. Or a LOT of someone's. The virus analogy is apt: the more people who have poor security the more the virus can spread and the more damage to the community as a whole. You having good security by yourself, isn't enough. Like a human disease, the more people who aren't adequately protecting themselves still endanger other people. A connected world means just that, for better or worse you also have to live with the consequences that other people's actions or lack of actions make.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
Heck, when many of us here were kids, WE were the TV remote control unit for our Dads :D

With only a voice command given to change channels, we'd scramble to obey and then fine tune the horizontal and vertical controls.

We even changed channels automatically between family favorite shows, and knew to turn down the volume when the room phone rang.

It was like having intelligent assistants. For Dad, anyway.....

1974-Zenith-TV.JPG

Yup, on the carpet in our PJs, about 3 feet in front of the 'huge' 26" Zenith floor console..... until it was bedtime.

Reactions: kdarling

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
How do you feel about them being able to lock and unlock your doors, control your perimeter security or snoop the video on the cameras inside your house?
We've been through this already. Hackers target those with weak passwords on their devices. That's the easy way they get in. They don't bother with stronger hacking methods simply because most hackers don't care enough about looking at you walking through the room naked.

dan110

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2013
'Merica
Apple has ceded the "home" to Amazon. I actually think it's too late for this Apple regime to catch up.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
We've been through this already. Hackers target those with weak passwords on their devices. That's the easy way they get in. They don't bother with stronger hacking methods simply because most hackers don't care enough about looking at you walking through the room naked.
This isn't a "it's not an issue so long as I am not the victim" scenario. Everyone needs good security. To think that you won't be a victim because you are not important enough is lazy and irresponsible.

Or have you forgotten the incident last week where half the internet was brought down by people hacking into IoT devices?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/...-east-coast-netflix-spotify-twitter/92507806/

Hmm, maybe Apple was on to something...

Amazon's lax attitude towards security is a disaster of biblical proportions waiting to happen. And I have no intention of being on the wrong side of history when that occurs.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
but HomeKit has been slow to get off the ground because of the company's strict requirements
That's quite an understatement. Virtual standstill would probably be more accurate.

I'd say Apple needs to rethink how they want to proceed with home automation because the current strategy is a failure.

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
But they are trying to be the do everything company, and that is the problem.

...no, they aren't. Everyone has made a fuss because they are no longer developing displays and routers. And even seem to be focusing on certain Mac models rather than trying to turn around the entire lineup at one event. The iPod looks set to be discontinued.

They are not jumping on new categories like crazy. There is no stripped down fitness band to compete with FitBit, nor a chrome cast-like TV stick, no VR headset, no giant iMac with a touch screen to compete with the surface studio, no convertibles, no Siri speaker...
[doublepost=1485697716][/doublepost]
This is my experience:

Hey Siri, turn off the lights... "I'm sorry, I can't do that".
Hey Siri, turn off the lights... "Okay, turning off the lights."

That sounds like a Siri problem - is HomeKit as unreliable with the Home app?

Last edited:

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
This isn't a "it's not an issue so long as I am not the victim" scenario. Everyone needs good security. To think that you won't be a victim because you are not important enough is lazy and irresponsible.

Or have you forgotten the incident last week where half the internet was brought down by people hacking into IoT devices?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/...-east-coast-netflix-spotify-twitter/92507806/

Hmm, maybe Apple was on to something...

Amazon's lax attitude towards security is a disaster of biblical proportions waiting to happen. And I have no intention of being on the wrong side of history when that occurs.

Blah Blah Blah. I'm glad you are self important enough to think a criminal will come after you and I'm glad you think that others must take care of something that you are personally responsible for. Enjoy your bubble.

TriBruin

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2008
I have friends who have Alexa installed in their homes and give not one thought to the fact that that machine is listening to everything. EVERYTHING.
Amazon and Google have not shown themselves to be good security citizens with other products, so I don't expect them to be different with this tech. That being said, I understand how the convenience is appealing to folks. I love most new tech, but to have a machine listening to everything we say and not have top line security for the device? Nope. I will wait for the more secure solution, thank you very much.

This is NOT the case, stop posting fake news.

Both devices, ARE listening locally. When they interrupt the proper wake work (Alexa, Ok Google), they then pass the rest of the speed to the Amazon/Google servers for interruption. No data is passed along unless the device is triggered.

There is another device that does the same thing your house, the iPhone. They always listen to ever conversation. But they are only triggered by the wake word (Hey Siri).

Apple is doing the exact same thing that you are criticizing Amazon & Google for.

Fenez

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2014
It is no longer just your house that you are endangering. Hackers have broken into IOT devices and used them to attack companies and websites that had no direct connection to the people whose devices were hacked. Not to turn on or off lights, not to open locks, not to steal data from that house but to go after someone else. Or a LOT of someone's. The virus analogy is apt: the more people who have poor security the more the virus can spread and the more damage to the community as a whole. You having good security by yourself, isn't enough. Like a human disease, the more people who aren't adequately protecting themselves still endanger other people. A connected world means just that, for better or worse you also have to live with the consequences that other people's actions or lack of actions make.
Unfortunately you can't control what other people do, it's always a crap shoot. So unless everyone suddenly starts to take cyber security very seriously there is no real solution for the immediate future.

Reactions: AppleFan360

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
This is NOT the case, stop posting fake news.

Both devices, ARE listening locally. When they interrupt the proper wake work (Alexa, Ok Google), they then pass the rest of the speed to the Amazon/Google servers for interruption. No data is passed along unless the device is triggered.

There is another device that does the same thing your house, the iPhone. They always listen to ever conversation. But they are only triggered by the wake word (Hey Siri).

Apple is doing the exact same thing that you are criticizing Amazon & Google for.

Exactly! I don't understand why some here can't see that. The Echo is only "recording" anything when the wake word is used. All other "listening" remains local in the unit itself. I challenge anyone with a data analyzer to prove this wrong.

Reactions: Weaselboy

EdT

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2007
Omaha, NE
Unfortunately you can't control what other people do, it's always a crap shoot. So unless everyone suddenly starts to take cyber security very seriously there is no real solution for the immediate future.
Apple makes you implement a basic level of security out of the box. It's why people on this thread are saying Amazon is easier, because there is a fixed password that can be easily found or hacked, but it means you are up and running in a minute or so instead of first having to set your security and access. Plus, Amazon doesn't vet the actual hardware in the devices. A backdoor could be built into the hardware itself and until found by a 3rd party Amazon wouldn't know.

Apples security isn't perfect and Tim Cook hasn't been leading Apple by pushing the limits on hardware or software lately-vast understatement- but when it comes to security Apple is the only company taking it seriously.

elmaco

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2012
We have both and home kit never gets used.

Apple clearly missed the boat on this. People want convenience and the masses have spoken.Amazon echo and Alexa are a hit.Like Steve Jobs once said "it just works"

Until there are security problems, and Apple products just works.
[doublepost=1485718459][/doublepost]
Yes open will always gain more market share.

Linux has been around for 25 years, but most people still use Windows on their desktop.

skinned66

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2011
Ottawa, Canada
Funny that Amazon has been able to win the war without expanding their deployment outside the US. I can't buy the Alexa here in Canada. As far as I'm concerned, Amazon hasn't even entered the game let alone won.
Considering how long it took for us to get prime video I don't think we should hold our breath for Echo either.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.