Apple and Amazon Confirm Amazon Prime Video on tvOS Supports 4K HDR and 'Up Next' in TV App

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 6, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Following the early morning launch of the long-awaited Amazon Prime Video tvOS app, both Apple and Amazon have now posted press releases about the launch, each confirming a few details about Prime Video on Apple TV.

Firstly, Apple's PR officially confirms that Amazon Prime Video does support Apple's centralized TV app. This means that users can use Siri Universal Search to find Amazon Prime Video content, and add it to their "Up Next" queue of shows and movies. Prime Video content will then appear within the TV app and users can immediately jump into their shows without needing to navigate to the Amazon app itself.

[​IMG]

Some MacRumors staff members were able to get this working this morning, but it appears that Siri Universal Search and playback of Amazon shows within the TV app are not entirely rolled out yet, so you may have to wait a little longer to see these features functional on your own Apple TV. In total, Apple said that Prime Video brings the amount of TV episodes and movies that Siri can search on Apple TV to 1.3 million.
    Importantly, Apple also mentioned that Prime Video is integrated into the TV app "where available," so users outside of the United States, Australia, Canada, Norway, and Sweden will still not be able to use the TV app.

[​IMG]

Apple also confirmed that Prime Video for Apple TV "further expands the library of TV shows and movies available in 4K HDR on Apple TV 4K," so owners of the latest Apple TV will gain access to Amazon's 4K content with the new app.
    Apple went on to discuss the newly added Live Sports section of the TV app, as well as further touting the "hundreds of 4K HDR titles" that users can discover on iTunes. Additionally, the company pointed out that tvOS 11.2 now allows Apple TV 4K users to choose between having their video playback converted to the best format their TV can support, or outputting the video in its original frame rate and dynamic range. Check out more information on the tvOS 11.2 update right here.

Article Link: Apple and Amazon Confirm Amazon Prime Video on tvOS Supports 4K HDR and 'Up Next' in TV App

2. GizmoDVD macrumors 65816

I'm just so happy I can watch Unsolved Mysteries.

Aside form that, their "original" shows all suck and they don't have much else.

But I'm glad it's here. Finally.

3. macagain macrumors regular

4. Jakeycov macrumors member

Jakeycov

The TV app is supposed to drop "by the end of the year"... come on!

5. Cory Bauer macrumors 6502a

But no 5.1 surround sound, even though content is marked as such.

6. Xavier macrumors 68020

This is great! As I spend most of my time on Netlifx, HBO, Amazon prime video, and playstation vue, it is great to finally have all of these option on my Apple TV!

7. McTaste macrumors regular

McTaste

where the **** is 4k hdr for the ps4 pro?!

8. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Lack of 5.1 is trash.

Add it to the list of YouTube, Hulu, Apple Trailers, and Apple iTunes Previews. Not sure why Apple API thumbs their noise at audio quality.

9. DotCom2 macrumors 68040

Paired my AirPods with the Apple TV so now I can watch (and listen) to Amazon Prime stuff through the Apple TV instead of the Smart TV app. YAY!

10. TimWillz macrumors regular

TimWillz

I cant believe how long we are having to wait in the UK for the TV App.

11. tzm41 macrumors member

tzm41

Great... Finally...
    I sort of consider prime video as a free icing for my prime membership (although not realistically true), so I am really happy about this.

12. Skyrunner1 macrumors newbie

13. yegon macrumors 68020

Let’s hope these good relations culminate in Amazon updating the blooming Kindle app for iPhone X!

14. ScottButler macrumors regular

ScottButler

So far so good. I was waiting for a catch after this took so long to come out.

EDIT: Ah there it is, no 5.1 is ridiculous if true

15. match14 macrumors newbie

16. Avieshek macrumors 6502a

Avieshek

No Dolby Atmos. No 7.1 Surround. Not even 5.1 Surround Sound.

17. PonyRidingBear macrumors newbie

PonyRidingBear

Just installed the app on my 4K Apple TV. Picture looks great but what the hell is going on with the lack of 5.1 audio? This makes the app useless for me.

18. yegon macrumors 68020

Lots of Apple equipment I like a lot, but got off the Apple TV train years ago. Woefully under featured compared to the opposition. Never having bought video off the iTunes Store made this an easy transition for me admittedly.

19. BruiserB macrumors 65816

20. hybrid_x macrumors regular

hybrid_x

“the number of...”

21. moxxey macrumors regular

22. lparsons21 macrumors 6502

lparsons21

While I’m glad to see this finally come to the AppleTV, it is pretty late and with no 5.1 audio at least, it just means that the ATV will be relegated again to just iTunes stuff.

While waiting for this to finally show up, I switched to cable TV with Tivo, put a Samsung KW950 ATMOS soundbar in place, and added and Xbox One S w/Dolby Experience app which gives me all the streamers I use and all of them either providing ATMOS soundtracks, or being massaged by the DE app to give “ATMOS like” effects.

23. Chris The Bipolarbear macrumors member

24. powaking macrumors 6502

powaking

25. BruiserB macrumors 65816