Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JRoDDz

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 2, 2009
NYC
After staying up to 4:30 am in the morning here on the east coast and NOT being able to successfully order anything either on AT&T or Apple's website. I went to sleep.

After sleeping for a total of 3 freaking hours, I got up at 7:30am went on the Apple website and successfully ordered.

So thank you Apple and AT&T for 3 hours sleep last night. I could have went to bed normal time and woke up and just ordered the phone.

EmbraceTheOne

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2011
It worked flawlesly on Verizon for me. Woke up at 315, Was done by 330.

Didn't fall back asleep till 530, though.

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
When the site was brought back up around 2:30 (central), the site was fast and the entire process was flawless (for me).

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
I think there was much more traffic than people predicted. Last year, 5 minutes after advertised time, I had completed order and hit the sack. This year, it took forever to get through and took forever to complete the order (kept dying on me). I got to bed around 4:30ish.

scootaru

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2008
Columbus, OH
I had to be up at 4:30 for work anyway, so I just got up an hour and a half early. Sucks I didn't get my pre-order in until 5:30. That extra sleep would have been nice.

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010
I just went on at 5:30am EST and ordered two and they went right through. AT&T kept my unlimited pland and email me comfirmation in only minutes.

Was really easy this time.

neile45

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2011
I stayed up to 3:45 CST trying to order thru Apple.com and Sprint.com. I finally gave up, and just ordered thru sprint.com.

I lost 3 hours of sleep, also. Won't do that again.

jca24

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2010
DFW
After staying up to 4:30 am in the morning here on the east coast and NOT being able to successfully order anything either on AT&T or Apple's website. I went to sleep.

After sleeping for a total of 3 freaking hours, I got up at 7:30am went on the Apple website and successfully ordered.

So thank you Apple and AT&T for 3 hours sleep last night. I could have went to bed normal time and woke up and just ordered the phone.

wow, what a big baby

Ibolskool

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2010

I can totally relate! A major fail, but I believe it was ATT's fault more than Apple. I basically had the same problems and am on the east coast, but went to bed, woke up at 7 AM, and ordered through the Apple Store App in like 2 minutes.

JRoDDz

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 2, 2009
NYC
I can totally relate! A major fail, but I believe it was ATT's fault more than Apple. I basically had the same problems and am on the east coast, but went to bed, woke up at 7 AM, and ordered through the Apple Store App in like 2 minutes.

Yes it kept timing out on the "checking with AT&T" part of the ordering.

wpotere

Oct 7, 2010

You are blaming Apple and AT&T for your inability to step away and go to bed? Why didn't you just wait until the morning? Not their fault you have no self-control.

JRoDDz

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 2, 2009
NYC
You are blaming Apple and AT&T for your inability to step away and go to bed? Why didn't you just wait until the morning? Not their fault you have no self-control.

No I'm blaming them for saying you can order at a certain time and then not fulfill that claim by not having the necessary server capacity to deal with it. It's not like they didn't have 16 months to plan it right?

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008

And...you could have done that anyway. I don't see how it's either AT&T or Apple's fault that you can't make a decision to go to bed and try again later.

mattwallace24

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2010
Connecticut
I just slept in until 6am ET and placed my order via the apple.com site rather than set an alarm and wake up early. No problems, linked to AT&T's backend systems seamlessly, and shipping for arrival by 10/7.

Cracks me up how hostile some people get when they can't be the first to order the new iPhones or any Apple product for that matter.

h00ligan

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2003
London
You fail. You can still preorder. Most people figured with the extra production time and same casing plus lesser demand there was likely no need to get up first thing. Anyway

definitive

macrumors 68020
Aug 4, 2008
no one forced you to stay up so late. you give regular apple customers a bad name, "fanboy."

wpotere

Oct 7, 2010
No I'm blaming them for saying you can order at a certain time and then not fulfill that claim by not having the necessary server capacity to deal with it. It's not like they didn't have 16 months to plan it right?

Yeah, and that doesn't happen every new release? :rolleyes: They can only guess on the server capacity and server hiccups happen. You should have simply gone to bed and ordered in the morning. :rolleyes:

DiamondMac

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2006
Washington, D.C.
I go back and forth. I understand the sheer VOLUME of users going to one site...I really do

With that said, I still refuse to believe that either Apple nor AT&T could put up some sort of ridiculous server for 1 night that would handle or even REMOTELY handle the influx

I knew things would go wrong last night but the amount of issues I had until I finally just went to AT&T was...surprising

Qoo

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2010
MI
if you think deep before taking any action you will sleep well last night.

when the iphone 4 pre-order started only AT&T carry it, this time the iphone 4S don't seem much people upgrading due to not the redesign iphone, plus AT&T, Apple, Sprint, Verizon almost all of the US carriers picking up this iphone 4S except T-Mobile. So still need to wait so late for the pre-ordered. I went to bed around 11:00PM last night and woke up at 7:00AM this morning and used my iphone 4 to check see how busy the server is for pre-order the iphone 4S, it was smooth like you don't believe. But i didn't order the 4S, don't want to extend my contract for just to upgrade to the 4S

JRoDDz

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 2, 2009
NYC
I go back and forth. I understand the sheer VOLUME of users going to one site...I really do

With that said, I still refuse to believe that either Apple nor AT&T could put up some sort of ridiculous server for 1 night that would handle or even REMOTELY handle the influx

I knew things would go wrong last night but the amount of issues I had until I finally just went to AT&T was...surprising

I hope this isn't any indication on how their iCloud service is going to work.

fjrabon

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2010
Since this had nothing to do with Apple there's no foreshadowing of iCloud performance.

That's just not true. It annoys me to no end when people says things of that nature, blaming any minor fail on anybody involved in the process BUT apple. Apple didn't even have the apple store up until around 1AM pac time. How did the carriers have anything to do with that? Also, there were lots of people who could buy from their carriers but not the apple store.

Now, I agree that this has no indication of how the iCloud servers will work, but that's not because this had nothing to do with apple, but because the iCloud servers have nothing to do with ordering an apple product.

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
Meh, when you work in the tech industry you start to have a little more understanding of these types of situations. They probably had a last-minute issue that caused a fire drill in Cupertino.

You just have to assume that they are doing everything they can to right the ship. It isn't like they were sitting around twiddling their thumbs while thousands of sales were going over to carrier sites.

Murphy's Law. Works every time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.