Apple and Google Partnership?

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Original poster
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
iTMS Through Google?

Didn't see this posted in the forums...speculation as to Apple's jump in stock price today partly due to rumors of a deal between Apple and Google to offer the iTunes Music Store through Google's site. Not sure what that means, but when two of the most innovative companies out there are talking, good things can certainly happen!

Linky

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
That could be a way to improve the search possibilities in iTMS (which bites right now).

Wonder a bit what they'll do with the different stores in different countries, but Apple and Google should be able to come up with some smooth solutions...

.Andy

macrumors 68030
Jul 18, 2004
The Mergui Archipelago
That would be quite the good. I can imagine when doing a country specific search for a song to have the google adverts providing a linking to that song that is available for purchase. Just like a massive Apple Affiliate :).

I'm actually suprised we haven't seen a little more allegience between Google and Apple. They seem to be a match made in heaven...

zwida

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2001
NYC
Seems like a pretty good way to counter Yahoo's stated music plan. Frankly, I'll be amazed if this is actually announced, but I think it's an awesome idea (and great for the stock price!).

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001

Apple (Nasdaq:AAPL) stock jumped today and appears to have reached a record high.

TheStreet.com attributes the jump to "market chatter" that Apple is set to announce a deal for Google to offer iTunes Music Store purchases through its own site. TheStreet quotes an options strategist at financial site theflyonthewall.com.

The Google rumor has not been confirmed by other sources.

Apple and Google currently have an arrangement whereby iTunes-signed labels receive discounts on Google's Adwords service.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
Other versions of this rumor have Google setting up their own audio service, either a music store of their own or their own take on podcasting.

This may mean nothing, but Apple are still mentioning an advertising discount deal with Google here, but if you click the linky the Google side of it has vanished. It was a one-shot deal, so the promo may have simply run its course.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
It could simply mean that iTMS songs/album links will be put into Google's ad rotation, paid for not by Apple as an advertiser, but by Google taking a cut. An extension of the existing iTMS affiliate program. Possibly with a music-centric page added to Google--but really, Apple doesn't need any help with searching their catalog, iTunes does that very well.

AoWolf

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2003
Daytona Beach
Today google tomorrow the world!!! iTunes and iPod is really becoming the standard today I counted 3 iPods in one class two years ago I was the 1 of like 3 kids in my high school that had one.

ClimbingTheLog

macrumors 6502a
May 21, 2003
Lawsuit in 3...2...1...

To be consistent with their treatment of ThinkSecret Apple will need to be filing suit monday morning against the analyst spilling these particular beans.

autrefois

macrumors 65816
Oct 22, 2003
Somewhere in the USA
Gee, Steve, what are we going to do tonight?

The same thing we do every night. Try and take over the world! :)

Teaming up with a company that has become a verb can only benefit iTunes, in my opinion. Assuming these rumors are true.

I agree that Apple is already doing just fine without Google, but since so many people use Google, a Google tie-in would just bring in even more people. And unlike most big name companies, as far as I know Google doesn't have any of the negative PR baggage that usually comes with big-name corporations.

Analog Kid

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2003
.Andy said:
I'm actually suprised we haven't seen a little more allegience between Google and Apple. They seem to be a match made in heaven...
How so? I actually don't see much reason for them to do business with each other beyond advertising and brand hype...

.Andy

macrumors 68030
Jul 18, 2004
The Mergui Archipelago
Analog Kid said:
How so? I actually don't see much reason for them to do business with each other beyond advertising and brand hype...
I mean to the extent that they both provide innovative user friendly services/products. A match made in heaven for users (me!) as apposed to a business sense for shareholders (not me!)....

sockit2me

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2004
Has anyone thought about where this could go... especially considering this new Google Video idea?

Hmmmmm....

How bout that for a coup? Think about it.

Starts maikng sense with that remote patent, huh?

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
autrefois said:
Teaming up with a company that has become a verb can only benefit iTunes, in my opinion.
"Hey guys, I'm gonna apple me some tunes as soon as they open for business."

(Just trying it out for sound.)

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
dontmatter said:
what does google get out of it?
At a minimum, increased traffic. They want to be the go-to site for absolutely everything, from doing research to finding a place to order your pizza. This could get them more traffic for music shoppers too.

SilvorX

macrumors 68000
May 24, 2002
'Toba, Canada
a google/apple alliance would be really nice to see, if apple has an alliance with google in the music market, apple has a chance of staying the king of the download music market for a very long time

virus1

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2004
LOST
SilvorX said:
a google/apple alliance would be really nice to see, if apple has an alliance with google in the music market, apple has a chance of staying the king of the download music market for a very long time
apple and google aren't enemies. they don't really compete for anything, and you can tell that they don't mind eachother because of... gee, the google search bar in safari. I mean its not like google would compete with apple. IMHO, somthing like the ITMS is way to big a project for google.

virus1

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2004
LOST
Doctor Q said:
At a minimum, increased traffic. They want to be the go-to site for absolutely everything, from doing research to finding a place to order your pizza. This could get them more traffic for music shoppers too.
if i were google, i would be begging wikipedia to merge with me, not wasting my time with apple trying to do somthing so wild and unexpected.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
This is definitely good news for Apple & Goggle. Apple's stock price certainly is showing some results. Go Steve!

d.perel

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2005
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
That could be a way to improve the search possibilities in iTMS (which bites right now).
If this were true, I would search for ITMS songs through google all the time, especially when trying to find audiobooks.