MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The latest numbers from research firm IDC show that Samsung and Apple continue to lead the worldwide smartphone market, but Chinese handset maker Huawei is placing increasing pressure on the industry giants after experiencing strong 60.9% growth compared to the year-ago quarter.

Huawei-iPhone-6s.jpg

IDC's Worldwide Quarterly Mobile Phone Tracker reveals that Samsung continues to be the top smartphone vendor with 23.8% market share, shipping an estimated 84.5 million smartphones in the third quarter of the calendar year, compared to 23.9% market share and 79.6 million smartphones shipped in the year-ago quarter.

IDC-Q3-15-Apple-Samsung.png

Apple trailed in second with 13.5% market share after shipping 48 million smartphones in the calendar third quarter, compared to 11.8% market share and 39.3 million smartphones shipped in the year-ago quarter -- a 22.2% year-over-year increase, which cut away at Samsung's market lead.

Apple's growth can be attributed to strong iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus sales, which Apple says has led to the highest rate of Android switchers it has ever measured. The new smartphones set a record with 13 million sales over their September launch weekend. Apple released its complete FY Q4 financial results yesterday.

Huawei also closed the gap on Samsung and Apple due to strong growth in China and Europe. The Shenzhen-based company was the third-largest smartphone vendor, a position that previously belonged to Chinese rival Xiaomi, with 7.5% market share and 26.5 million smartphones shipped in the third quarter.

Lenovo and Xiaomi rounded off the top five largest smartphone vendors with nearly equal 5.3% and 5.2% market share respectively. Lenovo shipped an estimated 18.8 million smartphones, while Xiaomi shipped an estimated 18.3 million smartphones. All other vendors combined to ship an estimated 159.1 million smartphones.

Overall smartphone shipments totaled 355.2 million worldwide in the third quarter, up 6.8% from the 332.6 million units shipped in the year-ago quarter, marking the second highest level of smartphone shipments for a single quarter ever. The growth was driven by new flagship devices such as the iPhone 6s, Galaxy S6 edge+ and Galaxy Note5.

Article Link: Apple and Huawei Close Gap on Samsung in Global Smartphone Market

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Once again, this appears to be about shipments, not purchases. I'll wait till actual sales figures come out before rushing to judgement.

If Samsung and others phones weren't being sold, retailers wouldn't stock them. So.. we can assume a very large percentage of these phones are being sold, and a very small number being returned to the manufacturer.

Comment

mk_in_mke

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2003
Milwaukee, WI
... Still thinking about Steve Jobs in 2007, during iPhone keynote when he said he only wanted 1% of the Market Share... Almost 9 years after, Apple represents 14% of the market share and 60% of the global smartphone profits (if not more...)

Like Jony Ives would say "Not too shaby..."

Comment

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
Once again, this appears to be about shipments, not purchases. I'll wait till actual sales figures come out before rushing to judgement.
Once again, and again, and again, if a vendor actually reports their sales figures they are primarily reporting shipments to their channel. This includes Apple. Always have, and probably always will. Sales vs shipped needs to stop. It's the same thing.

More importantly, these are analyst estimates, not vendor supplied information. AFAIK, most of them don't report numbers. Grain of salt.

Comment

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
Again, Samsung is too focused on the wrong competitor. Huawei/Xiaomi are eating their lunch.

Reactions: citysnaps
Comment

timber

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2006
Lisbon
Why in the hell would I buy a Huawei phone?
Because you may want a smartphone with good hardware and affordable price that does everything anyone usually needs the same way as all the other non Apple smartphones as it runs the same Android version as all the others.

I know several people who have the Huawei P8 lite, excellent device.

Reactions: AleXXXa
Comment

winston1236

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
I've grown so spoiled being able to fully charge from around 10% battery in 40 min with the Moto Turbocharger on my work phone I don't think I'll be able to switch until other companies introduce something similar.

Reactions: AleXXXa
Comment

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2010
here and there but not over there
it always amazes me how a company (Samsung) can have such a big lead and loose lots of money while the second placer with a much smaller share makes tons of money. (This is all with respect to the mobile devision of samsung).
Guess they spend too money on marketing and don't charge enough for their devices (especially the lower end ones, that give market share but don't make any money)

Reactions: StoneJack
Comment

MasterRyu2011

macrumors 65816
Aug 22, 2014
I've grown so spoiled being able to fully charge from around 10% battery in 40 min with the Moto Turbocharger on my work phone I don't think I'll be able to switch until other companies introduce something similar.

Isn't that just using Qualcomm's Quick Charge 2.0? I think many Android phones have it now. The key of course is to buy a charger that supports it. Many companies still ship only the standard charger with the device even if their phone supports Quick Charge -- just bizarre.

Comment

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
Slightly off topic. Am I the only one who thinks that spreadsheet/chart was put together bass ackwards? It seems to read right to left except for the change column.

Comment
If Samsung and others phones weren't being sold, retailers wouldn't stock them. So.. we can assume a very large percentage of these phones are being sold, and a very small number being returned to the manufacturer.

That's right. While the old "shipped quantity" play does offer some opportunity for Marketing spin inflation, they can't just ship and ship and ship because the stores receiving all those shipments would stop receiving them if they couldn't actually move them. Retailers don't have to accept all of anything that any company can ship them. They can opt to refuse shipments if they don't want more stock.

We're just mad that Apple is not #1 on every list and thus need to start spinning anything and everything we can to rationalize the trickery that must be going on to explain it. :rolleyes:

Reactions: pezkiln and Stella
Comment

Markoth

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2015
Behind You
Slightly off topic. Am I the only one who thinks that spreadsheet/chart was put together bass ackwards? It seems to read right to left except for the change column.
They often use that strange chart format. I don't for the life of me know why. Apparently, they don't see this chart as annoying to read as I do.

Maybe it was designed by those "read the end of the book first" types.

Last edited:
Comment
Again, Samsung is too focused on the wrong competitor. Huawei/Xiaomi are eating their lunch.

Beware, because Huawei/Xiaomi is not only chasing Samsung. Premium pricing begs for consistently premium experiences that easily differentiate from cheap clones. But cheap clone makers keep on trying, copying premium features and incorporating them into their cheaper-to-much-cheaper offerings. Eventually, there's so many premium features in the cheap clones that it becomes hard to rationalize continuing to pay the premium.

See the IBM PC story: a premium computer in its day made by a well-respected, premium company who then suffered an "attack of the clones." What happened there?

Comment

neuropsychguy

macrumors 65832
Sep 29, 2008
Because you may want a smartphone with good hardware and affordable price that does everything anyone usually needs the same way as all the other non Apple smartphones as it runs the same Android version as all the others.

If you don't mind a phone made by a company with a large number of bad business practices, IP theft, and ties to the Chinese government with allegations of espionage. Sure, some of this isn't publicly substantiated but there are enough other companies producing good products that there is no need to encourage growth by these two particular companies. For all its faults as a company, I'd take a Samsung phone over a Huawei or Xiaomi one any day even if it was inferior to products from the other companies.

Reactions: thasan
Comment

AppStoreNerd

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2015
it always amazes me how a company (Samsung) can have such a big lead and loose lots of money while the second placer with a much smaller share makes tons of money. (This is all with respect to the mobile devision of samsung).
Guess they spend too money on marketing and don't charge enough for their devices (especially the lower end ones, that give market share but don't make any money)
Yaaaaayyyy we are getting ripped off by Apple.

Comment

timber

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2006
Lisbon
If you don't mind a phone made by a company with a large number of bad business practices, IP theft, and ties to the Chinese government with allegations of espionage. Sure, some of this isn't publicly substantiated but there are enough other companies producing good products that there is no need to encourage growth by these two particular companies. For all its faults as a company, I'd take a Samsung phone over a Huawei or Xiaomi one any day even if it was inferior to products from the other companies.
Well as you may notice I'm European so I'm not really sure which of the world powers spies the most at me. But indeed I do care about those things.
I don't own a Huawei smartphone but I would prefer one to a Samsung. That is how much I love Touchwiz.
The only Huawei device I have is a FTTH AIO and that is something I haven't got any saying.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.