Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple and Magazine Publishers Yet to Agree on Subscription Terms

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

All Things D reports that Apple and major magazine publishers have yet to reach agreements on plans for digital magazine subscriptions, with the two sides engaged in a stalemate over revenue sharing and subscriber information. The report reiterates earlier details of Apple's position, but notes that no major publishers have accepted the company's terms in the face of Apple's firm stand.
Publishers want the ability to sell the subscriptions themselves, or at least the opportunity to hang on to subscribers' personal data. And Steve Jobs won't let them.

Here's what Apple is offering publishers, according to publishing sources:

- The ability to sell app subscriptions through iTunes.
- 70 percent of the revenue from each sale.
- The ability to offer an opt-in form for subscribers, which would ask them for a limited amount of information: Name, address, e-mail address.

That offer has been on the table for a "couple months", I'm told, and so far none of the big publishers has gone for it.
As long ago as February, publishers were expressing the same concerns over Apple's proposals: an unwillingness to send 30% of revenue to Apple and a desire to have access to subscriber information for marketing and editorial purposes. Despite the fact that Amazon last month announced similar terms to Apple's proposal for magazine and newspaper publishers, it appears that the publishers have yet to come around to Apple's offer.

Apple has been rumored to be building support for periodical subscriptions and automatic content delivery into iOS 4.3, with a new digital news magazine from News Corp known as The Daily reportedly set to debut using the model either later this month or early next year.

Article Link: Apple and Magazine Publishers Yet to Agree on Subscription Terms

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
how quaint, waiting days or weeks to read news that came out already

when i show my 3 year old something obsolete i always tell him not to worry remembering what it is. like newspapers, only crazy people will read paper newspapers in the future

Comment

Andronicus

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2008
Don't take no guff from these swine.

Hang tough Apple. All you need is one deal And the rest will follow when they see how successful this could be.

Comment

Andronicus

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2008

when i show my 3 year old something obsolete i always tell him not to worry remembering what it is. like newspapers, only crazy people will read paper newspapers in the future

What is obsolete?

Comment

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada

Paper newspaper aren't obsolete, but slowly dying.

People won't be reading paper newspaper in the future because of technology - just like people won't be driving petrol based cars in the future.

It will get there, Apple or no Apple.

Now we know the real reason for the Daily - because no publishers want to sign up, so Apple are doing it in partership with a crazed Tory Australian!

Comment

Poll Smoker

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2007

What's obsolete? Punctuation, or being able to express a coherent thought?

Comment

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
the whole idea of waiting a day, week or a month for an "issue" of media to come out to read something is obsolete. people want to read something today if it came out today.

i remember in the 1990's how i would read computer shopper and they would cover things 3 months after they happened. these days anything older than a week is in the archives section.

Comment

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

They obviously did not see how iTunes helped the music industry.

Comment

paradox00

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2009
There's a way around this. You're absolutely free to manage your own subscriptions if you have an existing digital business. (See netflix, hulu plus, kindle, B&N, etc.) Apple's only requesting the 70/30 split and offering limited subscriber information if the iPad app is their only digital magazine. The magazines want to get rich quick without putting any effort into less profitable platforms such as the PC and Android. I can't really feel sorry for the magazines when they are just trying to milk the cash cow of the app store with as little work as possible.

Comment

SockRolid

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2010
Almost Rock Solid
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

They obviously did not see how iTunes helped the music industry.

Agree. Print media is in even worse shape than the music industry was, especially the news segment. Anybody can blog or tweet, sometimes live on scene. And although individual reports might be biased or inaccurate, the aggregate gives a good indication of what's really happening. Live.

The post-election unrest in Iran last year is a good example. That was Twitter's equivalent of "the CNN effect" that helped boost CNN's popularity and influence during the first Gulf War. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CNN_effect)

I think once the "real 4G" is rolled out in 2013 or 2014, TV news will start to feel pressure too. People can already upload phone videos to YouTube, and with 100Mb speeds we'll be able to stream live video from our phones where the news is happening. Why wait for the 6 o'clock news when you can watch it live? Why wait for the CNN truck to roll up and for the reporter to set up?

Last edited:
Comment

NinjaMonkey

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2003
Maryland
I just hope all the subscriptions are handled through a single app instead of an app for every magazine.

I also can't stand that every magazine on the iPad has a different way of browsing.

And do something about the file sizes. Wired is just ridiculous.

Comment

aaronsullivan

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2003
Rochester, NY

It takes time to research information. I miss stories that have substance and attempt objectivity. There's a place for that if someone could find a way to offer it in this day and age.

The Internet and TV news that you seem to desire is just regurgitated information chosen for it's ability to entertain or move an audience emotionally. It echoes around for a few hours and is pushed aside for the next titillation. It serves little to no use except for people who want to move the fickle opinions of the masses around.

For most, being informed is less desirable than being entertained, I guess. A nice lesson to propagate to children. :rolleyes:

It's ironic to me that in this dawn of the internet information explosion and worldwide communication that people care less than ever about what is actually happening around them.

:p

Comment

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
being close to 40 i have more wisdom than in my 20's. most magazine articles are crap that are either pushed by publicity agencies or advertisers. once in a while my wife will read some children's magazine and say how some toy is good because it won some award. i always tell her the the awards are BS. same thing with financial magazines and pretty much everything else.

only difference between blogs and magazines are that the latter use more words to say the same thing

Comment

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Paper newspaper aren't obsolete, but slowly dying.

People won't be reading paper newspaper in the future because of technology - just like people won't be driving petrol based cars in the future.

It will get there, Apple or no Apple.

Now we know the real reason for the Daily - because no publishers want to sign up, so Apple are doing it in partership with a crazed Tory Australian!

Amen brother, amen. It's all about money. I find it amusing that Fox Entertainment is such a diverse spin off with shows like "Glee" and "Fringe" and yet Fox News is such an extreme right leaning conservative division from the same company. Fact is, it's all about money.

Comment

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
the whole idea of waiting a day, week or a month for an "issue" of media to come out to read something is obsolete. people want to read something today if it came out today.

i remember in the 1990's how i would read computer shopper and they would cover things 3 months after they happened. these days anything older than a week is in the archives section.

You know... when you think about it, why would the modern magazine wait and publish a once a month e-magazine?

The only reasons Magazines came out once a month was for Printing purposes... but now with instant delivery, i think if I had a subscription to something like "Road and Track" I would want daily content or articles to come up. More current info and also editorial does not have to schedule everything to come at once.

Anyway... just thinking out loud. :)

Comment

Alx9876

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2008
NorCal
70% of the profit is insane. That is taking a way huge advantage of the situation.

Not worth it. Apple should be taking no more than 40% tops if they really believe in what they say to App Developers.

Apple please don't be like Microsoft about $$.

Comment

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
Agree. Print media is in even worse shape than the music industry was, especially the news segment. Anybody can blog or tweet, sometimes live on scene. And although individual reports might be biased or inaccurate, the aggregate gives a good indication of what's really happening. Live.
Who is going to do the aggregation? How about in depth analysis? Historical background? Fact checking?

Not worth it. Apple should be taking no more than 40% tops if they really believe in what they say to App Developers.
Your wish is granted. Apple is only taking 30%.

Reading is a lost art. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Comment

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
I have zero desire to buy any magazine app for my iPad or iPhone. Magazines haven't been a part of my life for 5 or so years now.

Comment

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
70% of the profit is insane. That is taking a way huge advantage of the situation.

Apple please don't be like Microsoft about $$.

Apple take 30%.. leaving the other 70% to the publisher / developer.

Comment

djalice

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2004
UK
New tricks

Admittedly, I'm no expert Journalism, but this looks like a reasonable deal that Apple have on the table.

Surely, they get far less than 70% from a paper magazine etc. No?

They will have next to zero distribution costs.

OK, they will probably sell their eMags for less than the paper versions, but I'm sure they will come out better off than they were.

With, a paper version they don't get reader details unless they subscribe so I don't see much of a difference.

Journalism in paper form is dying so they need to change their attitude an roll with the new media, embrace it and exploit it. They have to learn new tricks are they will not survive.

Comment

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
Ahhh... I see...

Reading this a little closer, I see the reason the publishers are not going for it... it's not the revenue... it the user list!

The customer list is VERY valuable to publishers. It's a source of additional ad revenue for Publishers as they sell these lists to others for marketing purposes. Especially in the terms of vertical market B2B publications.

It's not the revenue share... it's the customer.

Comment

Mattie Num Nums

macrumors 68030
Mar 5, 2009
USA
Amen brother, amen. It's all about money. I find it amusing that Fox Entertainment is such a diverse spin off with shows like "Glee" and "Fringe" and yet Fox News is such an extreme right leaning conservative division from the same company. Fact is, it's all about money.

Fox Entertainment i doesn't release Glee and Fringe. The problem with Fox is the company itself is extremely diverse. Each individual company is operated completely different. Fox Networks Group (Fox Broadcast Company) is responsible for TV as well as Sports and has nothing to do with Fox News.

Comment

ten-oak-druid

macrumors 68000
Jan 11, 2010
Don't allow them access to data Apple.

Have you ever read about the magazine scams? Companies like TWZ that get you subscribed and then fail to send you the reminder that you need to choose to cancel. I know one person who showed me her bank statement with the charge on it for TWZ. The phone number was missing the last digit on the statement. Luckily she had the original information to contact them. And if you don't know to keep pushing zero on the menus, you will spend a day in automated hell.

Then don't forget about the Publisher's clearing house scam. Remember when it was revealed that everyone who sent in to enter but not subscribe had their contest entries trashed?

The actual publishers may be less shady but once the door is opened, these third party entities will get involved. It is best to keep user data out of their hands.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.