Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Riversen

macrumors member
May 31, 2009
Waco, TX
Well, they should just have licensed the patents!

I am glad that this happened and that justice was somewhat served. I know imitation is greatest form of flattery, but this is outright copying and insane. Patents are there for a reason and Korea simply protected a local interest... self-serving and sad. At least they lost in the USA and now we get an injunction and shut down the Samsung phones... :D

Just pay the patents and use the technology legally. This is a digital age and there has to be protection.

Blakjack

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2009
I love Apple

but as a self-interested consumer

I think we benefit from this stealing, copying etc.
Instead, the lawyers are the big winners.

Apple could still dominate and crush samsung without winning the court battle
Put those time, dollars, and values into defeating everyone even further

^Spoken as a selfish new iphone buyer Sept 21 (expected)

How do we benefit when all companies do is copy each other. That's not innovation.

The court today said, "Yo, hey...you, Samsung......Think Different"

As a consumer, I appreciate that.

darkplanets

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2009
Am I the only one that thinks that this is a GOOD thing? It'll force Samsung to be creative -- why is that BAD?. That in turn will drive innovation which will drive competition. Blatant copying means everyone gets the exact same thing everywhere for all time. Where's the incentive to deviate then? Things like the Palm Pre were GOOD -- Palm was just run by a bunch of idiots.

racer1441

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2009
Cant wait to see what Microsoft will come up with...what? wait? their not in this fight?

No, they did what you needed to do, license the patents. They are in the clear, and will be the big winner if a injunction is issued.

dscuber9000

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2007
Indiana, US
"Our lawsuit is saying 'Google, you ----ing ripped off the iPhone, wholesale ripped us off.' Grand theft. I will spend my last dying breath if I need to, and I will spend every penny of Apple's $40 billion in the bank to right this wrong. I'm going to destroy Android because it's a stolen product. I'm willing to go thermonuclear war on this. They are scared to death because they know they are guilty. Outside of Search, Google's products are ----."
- Steve Jobs

And so it begins. This sets a HUGE precedent.

dmelgar

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
I love Apple

but as a self-interested consumer

I think we benefit from this stealing, copying etc.
Instead, the lawyers are the big winners.

Apple could still dominate and crush samsung without winning the court battle
Put those time, dollars, and values into defeating everyone even further

^Spoken as a selfish new iphone buyer Sept 21 (expected)

I don't understand the mindset that says making a counterfeit copy of a product is somehow good for consumers. Maybe folks don't realize how much Samsung flagrantly copied what Apple has done.

Its especially upsetting when 5 years after the fact, people confuse the counterfeit with the original and claim, "how else could you do it".

Last edited:

Prohapps

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2010
Vancouver, BC, Canada
I like both companies, although I am glad Apple won.
Sony, LG, HTC, Acer, Nokia, etc they all managed to come up with devices that you could still associate with each other's respective branding.

The Samsung Galaxy Note and the Galaxy S3 are closer to the general Samsung look and feel than the iPhone mimics they created previously... And they should've understood that from the get go...

dsass600

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2011
Thank you apple for nothing. Let me choose my own devices instead of monopolizing. Not about money? A billion dollars...yeah right.

Yesss! I agree. Plus to all those people who think android phones are just imitation I phones, why not pick up an effing android phone for once and then talk! Otherwise ****

CindyRed

macrumors member
May 26, 2011
Naive?

I know this will sound rather naive, and to be honest, I've never been a fan of patent wars, but doesn't Samsung's statement show that they misunderstand the spirit of innovation? I mean, if someone else invents the rectangle, shouldn't they invent the circle instead of making a thinner rectangle?

Menopause

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2011
Today’s verdict should not be viewed as a win for Apple, but as a loss for the American consumer. It will lead to fewer choices, less innovation, and potentially higher prices. It is unfortunate that patent law can be manipulated to give one company a monopoly over rectangles with rounded corners, or technology that is being improved every day by Samsung and other companies. Consumers have the right to choices, and they know what they are buying when they purchase Samsung products. This is not the final word in this case or in battles being waged in courts and tribunals around the world, some of which have already rejected many of Apple’s claims. Samsung will continue to innovate and offer choices for the consumer.

Bulldroppings!

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
You honestly think Samsung cares about the consumer? They are in it for the money, just like apple. They just chose to go about it the wrong way and opted to copy instead of innovating.

This is sour grapes at its worst. If Samsung had any integrity left in them, they would finally admit to copying and promise to repent.

bkushner

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2011
Al Sabawi, a former I.B.M. executive and founder of Quantopix, a software company, said Samsung deserved to lose:

To all the lazy copycats out there who think cutting and pasting is an intellectual achievement, that hard work, sweat and tears don't matter, that ideas, designs, and innovations can be stolen willy-nilly with no consequences: This is to you

applebook

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2009
This doesn't make sense to me. Because companies like Samsung and Google cannot use these patents, will it not lead to more innovation, and more choices?

Will this not force these companies to find different ways of implementing the general concepts that Apple's specific patents cover?

[Edit] FrogsterDude says it well:

Fosterdude, quoted for truth! :cool:

Patent law seriously needs massive, massive, mega reforms though. This is just ridiculous!

koban4max

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2011
According to LA Times (you can look it up yourself), it's not over yet. Court is considering overturning 2 issues.

cankster

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2003
this further solidifies why i'll be purchasing a samsung galaxy nexus as my next mobile device of choice.

Copyright law needs to be radically changed to favor the consumer, otherwise we'll be subject to a complete lack of innovation and a technological regression for all society.

roflmfao.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Am I the only one that thinks that this is a GOOD thing? It'll force Samsung to be creative -- why is that BAD?. That in turn will drive innovation which will drive competition. Blatant copying means everyone gets the exact same thing everywhere for all time. Where's the incentive to deviate then? Things like the Palm Pre were GOOD -- Palm was just run by a bunch of idiots.

It's bad because some apparently want the benefits of an iphone, but don't want to pay for it, so they assume that if Samsung (or any other company) copies its features, the cost savings in R&D will somehow be passed on to them in the form of lower prices.

In other words, they are cheapskates. They want good stuff, but are unwilling to pay for quality. So they support piracy because it gets them what they want, regardless of who suffers in the end. :)

Sasha-1

Contributor
Aug 11, 2001
Been a member here for more than a decade. I strongly disagree with this jury, the trade dress and some of these patents, not all.

I have bought my last Apple product. I will not support Apple again. I'm sure they will continue to make huge profits. I just won't contribute to them.

Apple, next time you're down in the dumps like you were in 96, I won't be the loyal customer I was. Your trade dress is simply ridiculous. I frankly can't believe it was upheld.

Oppressed

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2010
For those claiming that this will prevent consumer choice I ask if you think it though and consider now that Samsung is not copying ideas that they might create new ideas for themselves. Thus force them to take the risks that Apple did to create the iPhone in the first place? Which might end up creating more choices in the long run?

If you really believed that all this did was reduce consumer choice then that actually tells a lot about what you think of Samsung. That they are unable to create products on their own.

Also pretend that you took years to create a great series of paintings. You were selling these paintings and people liked your work. Then someone came along and took pictures of your painting and started selling the prints without your approval. Would you just say to yourself "that's okay! I'm just glad the buyers have a choice!"? You are lying if you would.

noupf

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2008
Thank you apple for nothing. Let me choose my own devices instead of monopolizing. Not about money? A billion dollars...yeah right.

It amazes me how mis-informed people like you are. Let me paint you a simple picture.......

You own a small business and one day you have a brilliant idea for a new product that nobody else has.......

1) You design the new product and have it patented ( to protect your new idea ).

2) You sell this new product and make billions of dollars

3) Another company comes along and steals your design by almost copying it identically. Ultimately costing your company billions of dollars in lost sales

4) You take this company to court to defend your product, patent and billions in lost sales.

5) You win becuase the patents of said product belongs to YOU.

ITS ILLEGAL TO COPY PATENTED PRODUCTS OR DESIGNS !!!!!!!!!!!

Get it now?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.