Apple and Tim Cook Honor Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MacRumors, Jan 16, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today has honored Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. with a full-page tribute on its website. A photo of Dr. King is accompanied by a quote of his: "Commit yourself to the noble struggle for equal rights. You will make a greater person of yourself, a greater nation of your country, and a finer world to live in."

[​IMG]

Apple CEO Tim Cook also tweeted a photo of Dr. King and said "we honor [him] by working to help achieve justice and equality."
    Today is Martin Luther King Jr. Day in the United States to commemorate Dr. King around his birthday. The iconic Civil Rights Movement leader would have turned 88 years old on Sunday.

Note: Due to the political nature of the discussion regarding this topic, the discussion thread is located in our Politics, Religion, Social Issues forum. All forum members and site visitors are welcome to read and follow the thread, but posting is limited to forum members with at least 100 posts.

Article Link: Apple and Tim Cook Honor Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

2. Bane-Thunder macrumors 6502

MLK was the man, great men like him, Malcolm X and Mohammed Ali, need to be remembered fight against racism.

3. Toutou macrumors 6502a

Toutou

I wish Apple had no political agenda and social justice goals to pursue.

4. apolloa, Jan 16, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2017

apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

Apart from self advertising and getting people to view Apples products, I'm struggling to see the connection here between a giant American consumer electronics corporation and Mr King Jnr's death?

5. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

This is what I love about Apple and I have the strong believe and feeling this is not pure marketing but what the people leading this company stand for and believe in.

6. Nikhil72 macrumors 6502a

All corporations should have political agendas and social justice goals. Without them, they're robotic cash machines and nothing more. The best companies have actual humans with beliefs, and they have every right to voice them. If you don't agree with them, there are less politically vocal companies you could support, but they're still participating in social justice and politics. Perhaps less vocally, but they all do it, and it helps to make this country a better place and push individuals fighting the social justice fight by lending a bigger support in the corner

7. 69Mustang macrumors 601

69Mustang

Normally, I count myself among the most cynical of individuals. In this case, I really can't find a reason to doubt Cook's sincerity. Love him or hate him, Cook's pretty transparent about his social justice stance. Honoring Dr. King fits that profile.

8. d0minick macrumors 6502

Meh. and nothing changes.

A picture on a website with a silly quote.

All that money overseas could have been spent backing a candidate whom wanted more equal rights. Its all smoke and mirrors.

Lets stick to the computers and stuff Tim.

9. BruceEBonus macrumors 65816

BruceEBonus

A very touching, sincere and moving tribute to a great man who stood for freedom and justi .... wait a minute ...

TIm! Where are the new products lines again? No. Not the Bluetooth headphones and the electronic pen thingy. You know. The proper market leading stuff ... dammit.
    Ive been distracted yet again.

That was a lovely tribute, mind .. great adverts for those Airpods thingies. Jet White? Cool! Gonna get a dozen pairs this afternoon in case they run out.

Oh no! What have I done? I've been misdirected once.more. ... Hey hang on. Wheres the new Mac Pro and I Mac Pro then and ...... er.. oooh.
    Look at the pretty colours. Nice shiny iPad Pro. Shiny. Me buy five!. Six!

Hey! Hang on. This isn't what I wanted to buy ...

"Cut it here!"-Ed.

10. slimothy Suspended

slimothy

Agreed, political agendas should be kept separate from big corporations. Apple is here to sell products, don't get it twisted. A little picture on a website isn't going to change anything, and everyone knows that. Keep making computers and iPhones. That's what people care about Apple for.

11. andrewbee macrumors newbie

12. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

13. Lucky736 macrumors 6502a

Lucky736

Needs to be moved to the Politics, Religion, and Social Issues Forum

14. satchmo macrumors 68000

15. doelcm82 macrumors 68040

doelcm82

What a terrible thing to say!

16. CE3 macrumors 6502a

Whether or not it's a genuine goal is open for debate, but all multi-billion dollar corporations have political agendas that serve their interests, and no amount of wishing is going to change this. However, I'm not sure why anyone would have an issue with pursuing the goal of equal rights, or remembering and honoring Martin Luther King Jr. on this day. *shakes head*

17. now i see it macrumors 65816

This is no different than hanging a flag outside the porch on the 4 th of July. In fact is exactly the same thing.

18. TMRJIJ macrumors 68020

TMRJIJ

It amazes me that even this front page image can bring negativity.

19. Kaibelf macrumors 68000

Kaibelf

Why would you want more corporate money in politics?

20. JeffyTheQuik macrumors 68020

JeffyTheQuik

Great man in his words, and his flaws* (whatever they were) make him more human.

*a man tracked by the FBI for political reasons collected a dossier that his detractors use to bring him down. Those without sin**, please cast the first stone.

**“Don't judge me because I sin differently from you.”
    Dieter F. Uchtdorf
    --- Post Merged, Jan 16, 2017 ---
    He wouldn't have had the headphone jack either...

;)

21. edenwaith macrumors 6502a

edenwaith

Came here to see how the peanut gallery would throw a negative spin on this. I was not let down on my expectations (unfortunately).

22. Williesleg macrumors member

So wonderful to see the Apple MLK tribute website on my 3+ year old Mac Mini, my 4 year old iPad and my MacBook air from 2010! Wish they had some new product to buy. I'd even go for a MacBook Pro MLK edition with extra ports and an SD slot.

Really need to fire that Cook. It's almost too late.

23. ThunderSkunk macrumors 68020

ThunderSkunk

24. Morrile macrumors member

Morrile

Race, colour, creed, and gender matters not, all humans bleed red!