Apple and Verizon in iPhone Negotiations for 2010?

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 26, 2009.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

USA Today revives rumors that Apple is considering bringing the iPhone to Verizon's network as early as 2010. According to "people familiar with the matter" high-level discussions were initiated between Apple and Verizon a few months ago and are continuing. AT&T's is presently the exclusive carrier for Apple's iPhone but that exclusivity expires in 2010.

This is just the latest in a series of reports that Apple may open the iPhone up to other U.S. carriers. AT&T has been said to be working on trying to extend their exclusivity into 2011. It's no wonder since AT&T's most recent financial results showed that they had 1.6 million activations of the iPhone 3G in the 1st quarter of 2009 and 40% of those customers were new to AT&T. If Verizon were to also offer the iPhone, it would likely reduce the number of customers switching to AT&T.

USA Today speculates that even if Apple did open the iPhone up to Verizon, it would likely also remain available to AT&T customers.

Article Link: Apple and Verizon in iPhone Negotiations for 2010?

2. MrM macrumors 6502

I would love to see this happen. Especially with Verizon's upcoming 4g network.

3. macshill macrumors 6502

macshill

Great news. Hope it does. Competition is a good thing, right? :)

4. iPhoneNYC macrumors 6502a

iPhoneNYC

It may be unlikely, but I feel ATT has milked the iPhone user dry. In areas where there is spotty service at best ATT doesn't upgrade its cell system and leaves 3G for the big metropolitan areas. I little competition would only be good for the iPhone users - and would let the customer chose the best service in their area. If this deal with Verizon ever happened I think it would be clear that ATT would lose hundreds of millions for their lack of concern for the everyday user.

5. alexbates macrumors 65816

alexbates

Yes! I can't wait for it to happen. It seems like it would more likely happen when AT&T and Verizon both switch to the 4G network and are using the same hardware. I don't think Apple would want to have to make 2 different iPhones.

6. MrM macrumors 6502

It's a great thing. Just think about it. Maybe if they were competing for customers, they just might drop the cost down to get more customers. I'd love it.

7. Mattjeff macrumors 6502

Mattjeff

Yay lets hope this means options or a much improved network.

8. alexdarby macrumors newbie

alexdarby

This is my dilemma....I want an iPhone when they update it in June but would prefer Verizon to AT&T. Come on Apple, do it!! It's a good move.

9. D3LM3L macrumors regular

D3LM3L

10. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

11. kockgunner macrumors 68000

kockgunner

Is Verizon CDMA or GSM? If it's CDMA, then Canada's Telus will probably get the iPhone too. Telus and their suckiness and ripoff plans must go down.

12. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

Even as a long time att customer I think this would be good. If it makes Att drop prices or improve their network in other areas to keep customers, everyone benefits.

13. orange42 macrumors 6502a

I switched two weeks ago from Verizon to ATT for the iPhone...

14. Zincous macrumors 6502

Yeah much like the netbooks now and apples comments.

15. joeshell383 macrumors 6502a

That is very true. I frequently see people a lot of posts with things like "but Apple said they're not interested" or "Steve said it doesn't make sense", not realizing that Steve and Apple have said many, many things, but did something different (sometimes the complete opposite).

Even arn and the other Page 1 posters get swept up in it. I've seen a number of Page 1 stories that say things like "it is unlikely because Apple has said they're not interested...". It is one thing to state what Apple or Steve's official stance is on a subject, but to speculate that it won't happen just because they said they're not interested is not (alone) sufficient reasoning to draw such conclusions.

16. str1f3 macrumors 68000

I get the feeling that USA Today's sources are coming from Apple and they are using negotiation tactics to get a better deal with AT&T. While I would like an iPhone version on verizon, the smarter move by Apple would be to wait until 4G has some serious coverage in 2011. They would have to produce a CDMA phone for the one more year that verizon would have it.

17. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

i would love a verizon iphone but i'm not holding my breath.

18. Sehnsucht macrumors 65816

They wouldn't have to. I've said it before and I'll say it again: There could and should be a hybrid CDMA/GSM iPhone. There are already several other phones, Verizon's BlackBerry "World Edition" for example, that use Verizon's CDMA network when in the U.S. but also have a SIM card slot for international roaming. It is therefore completely possible that a CDMA/GSM hybrid iPhone could be produced, with dual radios for the appropriate carriers. Verizon using the CDMA and AT&T using the GSM. True, Apple would not want to make several different iPhone models for several different carriers, and they won't. The hybrid iPhone is the path that makes the most sense and is, IMHO what will eventually end up being done. :cool:

...Says a guy who WANTS AN iPHONE REALLY BADLY and is 8 months into a Verizon contract. :D

19. dagamer34 macrumors 65816

dagamer34

Scenario:

3G chipsets in 2007 : original iPhone :: "4G" (LTE) chipsets in 2010 : iPhone "4G"

It all boils down to battery life and chipset/network maturity. I really doubt you'll see anything LTE-related from Apple in 2010, try 2011.

20. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

But, when 4G does that( since Verizon and AT&T will be using the same standard), why bother now to make a GSM and CDMA compatible iPhone?

21. skwoytek macrumors 6502a

Verizon's trying to keep everyone from abandoning ship.

AT&T has the iPhone.
    Sprint has the Pre.
    TMobile has the G1.

Verizon has made some really bad partnering decisions when it comes to successful smartphones... So maybe some rumors will keep their customers from bailing.

22. SHOlover macrumors member

23. X86BSD macrumors member

Can't wait!

AT&T can rot in the depths of HELL!
    Thieves! Nothing but THIEVES!
    Thank $DEITY I do pre-paid. Ill never sign a contract with these immoral pirates.
    I had built up $400 in pre-paid time with them on my 1G iPhone. After a billing error they reset my balance to $0 and REFUSE to re-authorize my balance back to $400. So they stole $400 dollars from me. I am pissed and can't wait for another carrier to pick up the iPhone before I buy another iPhone.
    FSCK AT&T!

24. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

Ohhh, come on. They have the iPhone killer uhhh the Blackberry Storm. Remember?