Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

USA Today revives rumors that Apple is considering bringing the iPhone to Verizon's network as early as 2010. According to "people familiar with the matter" high-level discussions were initiated between Apple and Verizon a few months ago and are continuing. AT&T's is presently the exclusive carrier for Apple's iPhone but that exclusivity expires in 2010.

This is just the latest in a series of reports that Apple may open the iPhone up to other U.S. carriers. AT&T has been said to be working on trying to extend their exclusivity into 2011. It's no wonder since AT&T's most recent financial results showed that they had 1.6 million activations of the iPhone 3G in the 1st quarter of 2009 and 40% of those customers were new to AT&T. If Verizon were to also offer the iPhone, it would likely reduce the number of customers switching to AT&T.

USA Today speculates that even if Apple did open the iPhone up to Verizon, it would likely also remain available to AT&T customers.

Article Link: Apple and Verizon in iPhone Negotiations for 2010?

iPhoneNYC

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2007
It may be unlikely, but I feel ATT has milked the iPhone user dry. In areas where there is spotty service at best ATT doesn't upgrade its cell system and leaves 3G for the big metropolitan areas. I little competition would only be good for the iPhone users - and would let the customer chose the best service in their area. If this deal with Verizon ever happened I think it would be clear that ATT would lose hundreds of millions for their lack of concern for the everyday user.

alexbates

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2008
Georgia, USA
Yes! I can't wait for it to happen. It seems like it would more likely happen when AT&T and Verizon both switch to the 4G network and are using the same hardware. I don't think Apple would want to have to make 2 different iPhones.

alexdarby

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2008
Charlotte
This is my dilemma....I want an iPhone when they update it in June but would prefer Verizon to AT&T. Come on Apple, do it!! It's a good move.

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
Even as a long time att customer I think this would be good. If it makes Att drop prices or improve their network in other areas to keep customers, everyone benefits.

Zincous

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2008
Sacramento CA
You'll learn to never and I mean never completely believe anything coming from Apple.

Jobs has always trashed something, but then a few months later comes out with the very thing he trashed( ie: video and flash iPods).

Yeah much like the netbooks now and apples comments.

joeshell383

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2006
You'll learn to never and I mean never completely believe anything coming from Apple.

Jobs has always trashed something, but then a few months later comes out with the very thing he trashed( ie: video and flash iPods).

That is very true. I frequently see people a lot of posts with things like "but Apple said they're not interested" or "Steve said it doesn't make sense", not realizing that Steve and Apple have said many, many things, but did something different (sometimes the complete opposite).

Even arn and the other Page 1 posters get swept up in it. I've seen a number of Page 1 stories that say things like "it is unlikely because Apple has said they're not interested...". It is one thing to state what Apple or Steve's official stance is on a subject, but to speculate that it won't happen just because they said they're not interested is not (alone) sufficient reasoning to draw such conclusions.

str1f3

macrumors 68000
Aug 24, 2008
I get the feeling that USA Today's sources are coming from Apple and they are using negotiation tactics to get a better deal with AT&T. While I would like an iPhone version on verizon, the smarter move by Apple would be to wait until 4G has some serious coverage in 2011. They would have to produce a CDMA phone for the one more year that verizon would have it.

Sehnsucht

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2008
Yes! I can't wait for it to happen. It seems like it would more likely happen when AT&T and Verizon both switch to the 4G network and are using the same hardware. I don't think Apple would want to have to make 2 different iPhones.

They wouldn't have to. I've said it before and I'll say it again: There could and should be a hybrid CDMA/GSM iPhone. There are already several other phones, Verizon's BlackBerry "World Edition" for example, that use Verizon's CDMA network when in the U.S. but also have a SIM card slot for international roaming. It is therefore completely possible that a CDMA/GSM hybrid iPhone could be produced, with dual radios for the appropriate carriers. Verizon using the CDMA and AT&T using the GSM. True, Apple would not want to make several different iPhone models for several different carriers, and they won't. The hybrid iPhone is the path that makes the most sense and is, IMHO what will eventually end up being done. :cool:

...Says a guy who WANTS AN iPHONE REALLY BADLY and is 8 months into a Verizon contract. :D

dagamer34

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2007
Houston, TX
Scenario:

3G chipsets in 2007 : original iPhone :: "4G" (LTE) chipsets in 2010 : iPhone "4G"

It all boils down to battery life and chipset/network maturity. I really doubt you'll see anything LTE-related from Apple in 2010, try 2011.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
They wouldn't have to. I've said it before and I'll say it again: There could and should be a hybrid CDMA/GSM iPhone. There are already several other phones, Verizon's BlackBerry "World Edition" for example, that use Verizon's CDMA network when in the U.S. but also have a SIM card slot for international roaming. It is therefore completely possible that a CDMA/GSM hybrid iPhone could be produced, with dual radios for the appropriate carriers. Verizon using the CDMA and AT&T using the GSM. True, Apple would not want to make several different iPhone models for several different carriers, and they won't. The hybrid iPhone is the path that makes the most sense and is, IMHO what will eventually end up being done. :cool:

...Says a guy who WANTS AN iPHONE REALLY BADLY and is 8 months into a Verizon contract. :D

But, when 4G does that( since Verizon and AT&T will be using the same standard), why bother now to make a GSM and CDMA compatible iPhone?

skwoytek

macrumors 6502a
Feb 15, 2005
Verizon's trying to keep everyone from abandoning ship.

AT&T has the iPhone.
Sprint has the Pre.
TMobile has the G1.

Verizon has made some really bad partnering decisions when it comes to successful smartphones... So maybe some rumors will keep their customers from bailing.

X86BSD

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2002
Kansas, USA
Can't wait!

AT&T can rot in the depths of HELL!
Thieves! Nothing but THIEVES!
Thank $DEITY I do pre-paid. Ill never sign a contract with these immoral pirates.
I had built up $400 in pre-paid time with them on my 1G iPhone. After a billing error they reset my balance to $0 and REFUSE to re-authorize my balance back to $400. So they stole $400 dollars from me. I am pissed and can't wait for another carrier to pick up the iPhone before I buy another iPhone.
FSCK AT&T!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.