Apple and Wal-Mart Partnership?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Variety is reporting that Apple and Wal-Mart are in discussions over an alliance that would ease tensions between the two companies. A previous report indicated that Wal-Mart had warned movie studios against working with Apple. Though Wal-mart denied these claims, this new article reports that three other movie studios had planned on joining in the iTunes launch as of July, but backed out due to threats from Wal-Mart.

The potential Apple/Wal-Mart deal would involve "digital download 'coupon' that would allow consumers to buy movies, TV shows or music on iTunes with Apple paying the retail giant a percentage of the proceeds".

The benefit to Apple would be the ability to gain access to movie titles from the other major studios. Regardless, with no real retaliation against Disney so far, it appears many of the other studios are close to joining iTunes:

Studio sources say the rest of the majors are very close to joining Disney in a deal with Apple but are holding off until the end of the key fourth quarter, when half of all DVD sales occur.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
I guess this is good for settling the lawsuit. However I don't like the iidea of Wal Mart having ANYTHING to do with Apple!

::EDIT::
There is no Lawsuit between these companies. I am confusing this with an other Apple related story!

I am looking to consult a doctor about this problem! :D

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
...this new article reports that three other movie studies had planned on joining in the iTunes launch as of July, but backed out due to threats from Wal-Mart....
remind me please, what are anti trust laws for?

zwida

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2001
NYC
840quadra said:
I guess this is good for settling the lawsuit. However I don't like the iidea of Wal Mart having ANYTHING to do with Apple!
What lawsuit?

Did I miss something?

kwajo.com

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Bay of Fundy
this is horrible. Since Wal-Mart's threat to studios was basically a monopolistic practice, Apple is basically negotiating to allow a Monopoly to be not only legitimized, but compensated for being unethical? Great...:rolleyes:

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Is this one of those "keep your friends close, and your enemies closer" cases?

Or would they make good partners?

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
arn said:
there's no lawsuit. quadra was mistaken.

arn
Correct, I have my wires crossed again..

The issue was that Wal Mart was threatening Movie studios, not Apple with a lawsuit.

I have been reading Macrumors and Digg more than I should have today and am getting stories confused.

I think I need to see a Doctor!

canolapop

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2005
somebady should firebomb all walmart. However, the comment about it like the jedi hooking up with the sith, i don't quite agree with. we are all biased bc we love apple, however given the chance to be as huge as walmart, apple would take it in a minute. that is any capitalists goal.. infinite growth, infinite power, infinite profit. this is the basis for capitalism, walmart just happens to be a very successful example. so lets not be hypocrictical thats why apple might consider this autrocious move... they understand the capitalist game. sad as it all may be...

MinioN8

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2006
Twin Cities
Welcome to planet Walmart!

Umm... so Walmart doesn't make any movies, they just threaten NOT to distribute DVDs from major studios if they buddy-up with Apple - Isn't this corporate extortion?

mdntcallr

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2000
umm whatever. if walmart sells movie coupons at a discount once in a while, no problem. hell walmart can even sell mac software and mac's.

i just want them to stop blocking the movie studios.

which doesnt sound right to me, cause warners and universal already have deals for movies with alternate online stores.

mcarnes

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2004
USA! USA!
I don't think Apple should back down to those dic*heads. Apple isn't doing anything wrong, Walmart is. Apple did the same thing with Creative. $100 mil, bah.

bdj21ya

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2006
canolapop said:
somebady should firebomb all walmart. However, the comment about it like the jedi hooking up with the sith, i don't quite agree with. we are all biased bc we love apple, however given the chance to be as huge as walmart, apple would take it in a minute. that is any capitalists goal.. infinite growth, infinite power, infinite profit. this is the basis for capitalism, walmart just happens to be a very successful example. so lets not be hypocrictical thats why apple might consider this autrocious move... they understand the capitalist game. sad as it all may be...
Actually it brings me quite a bit of joy. Living in a capitalist society is one of the things that really makes me want to get out of bed in the morning.

dernhelm

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2002
middle earth
MinioN8 said:
Umm... so Walmart doesn't make any movies, they just threaten NOT to distribute DVDs from major studios if they buddy-up with Apple - Isn't this corporate extortion?
Yup. Welcome to planet Earth post 19th century.

samwyn

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2006
Wal-mart represents everything that is wrong with this country. I have always thought of apple as a company supported by pot-smoking liberals who hate wal-mart. If apple teams up with them, it would be a sad sad day...