Apple Announces 5.8-inch 'iPhone X' With Super Retina OLED Edge-to-Edge Display

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 12, 2017.

1. KI45 macrumors newbie

Yes i agree with that for the storage, but he also gets a newer phone with newer specs when he pays more, and thats why i said the storage should have been 128GB, not 64.

2. Martyimac macrumors 6502a

Martyimac

Everybody has expressed concern about the glass back. If I heard right, the glass was to allow for wireless charging, so, if most of us are going to use a case anyway and assuming that case is not metallic, shouldn't wireless charging still work?

3. KI45, Sep 13, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2017

KI45 macrumors newbie

Yup it was mentioned that cases will work with the phone when using wireless charging.

4. thirteen1031, Sep 13, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2017

thirteen1031 macrumors 6502a

thirteen1031

The creation of those animojis and the demonstration wasn't for you. You thought (and so many others did) that it was just something to lure people into buying the iPhone X...being able to play with emojis and masks. But what that silly demonstration actually did was to show what can be done with augmented reality and facial recognition. And where it can go is anything but trivial and pointless. But I don't blame you for not seeing it. I just give credit to Apple for seeing it and making sure all those budding programmers in entertainment, in games, in medical, fashion, the military and...oh, all sorts of things saw it, too. Small, seemingly trivial...and yet they made a huge point. Brilliant.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 13, 2017 ---
    That would sound devious if an Apple Watch was need to make calls while driving. But it isn't. You just use Siri. And there is, in many cars now, CarPlay or other devices that do the same. New cars allow you to make phone calls by pressing a button on the wheel, so long as your phone is blue-toothed or otherwise connected.

So...sneaky in that they might get you to buy CarPlay, yes, but sneaky because you'll need the Apple Watch? Not at all. You can make phone calls just by saying "Siri, call..." Just like you'd say "Siri, play..." the music you want to hear in the car.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 13, 2017 ---
    Right. If this had been on Job's watch we'd have gotten a tissue box computer or a phone you can't make phone calls on or Apple Maps....

:rolleyes:

But it's not on Job's watch so maybe it will be a success. :p

5. KI45 macrumors newbie

Yah i agree, the watches are mainly for athletes, active people etc & it has the potential for widespread use with the new cellular options, heart health studies, heart rate monitor, ability to listen to music etc..

6. thirteen1031 macrumors 6502a

thirteen1031

I don't think the Watch has ever been "mostly" for athletes. I think that Apple focused on the atheletic potential because that's what sold more Watches (Buy a Watch and lose weight and win marathons as compared to: "make a phone call on your wrist..."). But as you say, with some of these other options, that focus on health could expand to assisting with diabetes, heart problems, etc. not just excercise programs. And so we might start to see more variety in the ads--and be less inclined to think of the Watch as only or mainly for atheletes.

7. KI45 macrumors newbie

I definitely agree with what ur saying, i personally think its more for athletes and active people, and by that i mean a lot of people who just use it if they are walking a lot, want to count steps or calories etc, not just serious athletes, i think that connection is more my assumption based on what a smartwatch is most useful for in my opinion or what i would use one for, the connection is not from the ads, but oddly enough you mention that the ads are more sports based and in the keynote they got someone who was on a kayak in the middle of the ocean so yah :D

8. Sikh macrumors 6502

Sikh

How is that failure if its a security feature? Someone forgot to unlock the phone after rebooting it, TouchID did the same thing. T hat doesnt mean Touch ID failed, that means the demo failed because of a small error. Presentations errors happen. Its not like it said "failed to recognize your faceid, please use password" like Touch ID does, thats a real failure.

9. jamesrick80 macrumors 68020

jamesrick80

tapatalk_1505358181771.gif

10. vipergts2207 macrumors 65816

vipergts2207

Someone tell me, that's not how it actually works is it?

11. Twixi macrumors newbie

No, next phone Will ofcourse be iphone 9 and iphone 11....next year after that It Will be iphone 10 and iphone 12 the 11 and 12 are the X phones while The 9 and 10 are The S phones

12. symphara macrumors 6502a

Perhaps the USB they mention is USB-C? I vaguely remember reading somewhere that it needs USB-C for fast charging, and since they'd surely supply a fast charging power brick solution, that would be USB-C? Hope springs eternal :)

13. BlankSlate macrumors member

TechCrunch just reported that the iPhone 8 and X support fast charging. Even the 87 watts charger that comes with the MacBook Pro. I've been waiting for this feature for a while now. About time :D

Sorry if this has already been reported in this thread, but just in case, it's worth a repeat mention.

14. roeiz macrumors 6502a

roeiz

really like that you put this everywhere. kinda cute actually :D

15. Pilgrim1099 Suspended

Even if the demo wasn't for me, it seems they're sending the wrong message with a $1,000 device. It may be trivial, but the way they carried it was a bit bizarre. I can see animojis being popular with the youth market but would a working adult dare use that? A typical youth is less likely to have $1,000 in their pockets and beg parents to buy it for them.

In fact, the iPhone X is going to cost them about $55, give or take, a month on top of the phone plan that can literally reach around $100 or more. Could a parent afford to buy a family plan with the X? I highly doubt it, unless they're in the upper class or rich enough to fit it in their budget. My SE is about $15 a month. Huge difference.

So to introduce animojis, $999 is NOT the right starting point if they want to target this to the youth. And as for crediting Apple for seeing it, I think people are reaching a bit too far. Sure, it does show off the Face ID tech but that's about it. The animojis could have been in the iPhone 8, had they decided to go with a cheaper Face ID camera while the X keeps the more advanced version.

The iPhone X is supposed to be a "serious" phone precursor for the next 10 years with the most powerful A11 Bionic chip and new camera technology. And what do they do? They add in Animojis. In a $1,000 phone. What the hell were they thinking?

I have no need for Animojis. Seriously. I see that Craig used the Animoji to talk while using the 'virtual mask'. I don't see how practical it is for deaf people to use, except for the expressions and that's it. I should know because I'm part of that demographic. And I'm in the age where most of my friends, in their 30s and 40s, are busy with their lives, tending their families, or such. And when you get to that age range, your circle of friends get smaller, depending on the situation.

I get the Face ID part but not the Animoji insanity. The AR demo was kind of blah as the guy was holding the iPhone to an empty table. Doesn't he look like a fool doing that?

16. seclusion macrumors regular

seclusion

Really enjoyed the star constellations app, that was f'in cool.
    I think the animojis just showed another tool in the tool box.
    Yes silly at this stage, but likely very useful in ways we don’t even know yet.
    It’s what developers make of it that I look forward too.
    I enjoyed the presentation and look forward to these being brought to other devices.
    I also expect the Face ID to become more streamlined and log right in without the swip.
    Just imagine that on all your devices.
    As they mentioned during the presentation with the person on the paddle board.
    It’s hard to imagine she was out in the middle of the lake sounded clear as day, all from a watch.
    Mind you they should have had the video streamed from her watch, not from a boat...
    Being a geek, it’s a great time to be alive

17. symphara macrumors 6502a

It might get more streamlined, who knows, perhaps it works well enough right now.

But I don't want that on my phone. I don't want to have to position it so that I'm visible to the front camera to unlock in. I want the freedom to unlock my phone from any angle I hold it.

This is a bit like the Apple Watch. I don't think it's really a watch, it's more of a fitness tracker with apps. Yes it shows the time, but this is on demand - you have to turn it in a specific way for it to light up. And I just don't use my watch like that. I simply glance at it at odd angles and if it doesn't always shows the time, I won't use it at all.

This new Apple stuff is technology that's doing less, in a more convoluted way.

18. Twixi macrumors newbie

Uhm, cheaper face id? (Facepalm) Apple dont cheap thats why they rule The market as high premium, samsung has a cheap iris scanner and face detection It works but not that great, they also have a fingerprint scanner on The back, and thats cheap

19. thirteen1031 macrumors 6502a

thirteen1031

STOP thinking of animojis as a selling point to kids. That wasn't the point. That said, you underestimate bored rich folk who will play with these animojis at any age. You also ignore the fact that Apple is a global company. What is "stupid" here might be a big hit in other countries.

The animoji moment, however, was there for two other purposes: (1) Apple always throws in a little levity and silliness to keep the keynote moving along, and not have it be just specs and engineering. Remember Jobs introducing photo-booth (did you ever use that? I didn't. But it was in Jobs keynote at that time and added a few laughs), and (2) AGAIN, the animojis showed off what can be done with face-recognition and augmented reality.

THUS, the animojis lead to new apps for this type of phone. If such apps rely on Apple's mode of facial recognition, then other smart phones won't be able to compete even if they create a cheap (but less effective) version. Do you see? Developers saw those animjois, and they're going to start creating apps using those same tools. So when the price comes down in next years "X1" or 2019's X2 (and it will)....there will be a ton of iPhone specific apps that people like you REALLY want and now can afford to have. Animojis are a stepping stone to those apps. Apps that WILL sell the phone to you (and teens) when the phone's price goes down.

20. iSteve-O macrumors regular

iSteve-O

I thought the $1k would be for at least 128GB, but it's only 64GB which sucks.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 14, 2017 ---
    Sorry to hear about the defective phone, an upgrade to the 7 will be sufficient imo. The 8 isn't much of an upgrade from the 7, unless you need Qi wireless charging (which you can easily do with other iPhones with adapters).

Just keep your 7+, I already regret selling mine. Wish I would've just waited till next year when Apple will possibly include the under-display Touch ID.

Face ID will be a huge inconvenience, at least for me.

21. Otaviano macrumors 6502a

Otaviano

Or they do the more logical thing which is having iPhone 9 and iPhone 9 Plus next year alongside an iPhone XS. This allows them unify the line the following year and have all phones merge into this new form factor (iPhone 10S goes on the low end, iPhone 11, and a new larger iPhone 11 Plus).

22. symphara macrumors 6502a

Would that be extra-small?

23. Pilgrim1099, Sep 15, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2017

Pilgrim1099 Suspended

I'm acutely aware Apple's a global company, however what's "stupid" could still flop in other countries. Case in point, could the Chinese demographic afford the iPhone X in the market? Prices for the iPhone X seems a bit or more higher outside of the United States. That could make it almost inaccessible, despite the monthly payments on top of the phone bill.

Regarding Photo Booth, I never used it. Had no reason to. But did Photo Booth evolve? Not so much, except if you take Snapchat apps or similar as an example in social media, then that's a different story.

Even if Apple comes out with a cheaper iPhone X with animojis or augmented reality, I don't think I'd use it. The only reason I can see it being used as a 'virtual avatar' for people to use during live streams, video chats, or recordings for social media such as Facebook, Instagram or whatnot. Then again, using 'virtual avatars' could be used for those who want anonymity, which can also lead to a Pandora's Box of problems with governments cracking down on it. Did you consider that possibility?

Or having the persona of a character from a popular IP over the user's face ( ie. anime/comics/game characters or whatnot ), which again, requires a licensing fee if Apple does that approach, or unless the third party developer such as Marvel, DC, game studio or such makes one.

Again, if Apple brings out the iPhone X ( or call it the 2018 iPhone ) next year, the price point will remain almost the same, regardless. It won't go down for a while until they phase out Thumb ID which is likely, if they decide to do it.

I'm in my mid 40s, so why the hell would I want a facial animoji app for? I have a very small circle of friends IRL ( not counting Facebook ) and my older sister's not digital savvy like me. Apple's 'all ages' marketing approach doesn't work. You need to consider people who don't have a NEED or a WANT for such apps like these. There is no productive reason for it, let alone the leisure aspect of it. I can see it as being popular with teenagers or people in their 20s, or those who have families of their own.

I have an iPhone SE and it works fine for me. It's a no frills, no BS, ( and somewhat ) distraction free phone for me. I'm a professional artist and I use it to take photos as reference, or use it to text with friends who are deaf. Or check emails from clients. If I want to do a video chat, I'd use Skype but it's rare. I never use FaceTime ( something I think Apple failed to capitalize on ) because I know of no one who uses it.

And, you should also realize that the iPad is extremely likely to be NEXT to be changed and receive the exact same design as the iPhone X. Watch. If they phase out Thumb ID, iPad or iPad Pro is going to get the iPhone X treatment. Imagine how expensive that's going to get. Apple's phone products are getting a bit more expensive and so will the iPad lineup ( which got a price increase recently ).

Even if the new iPhone X ( 2018 ) comes out next year, it will cost the same as it did right now, while an older X price will drop a bit. The 6 and 7 models may get phased out or condensed into an SE form factor while the 8 stays until it gets cut off. The iPhone 8, I believe, is the LAST in the series in this form factor. The X is the new iPhone going forward.

And I'm not that stupid to fork out $1,000 or pay at least $55 a month on top of a phone plan that could go nearly $100 or so, for a phone that has the same, or slightly altered, iOS interface and apps that I currently use.

I think Apple is shooting itself in the foot.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 15, 2017 ---
    I highly doubt it. iPhone 9 will probably not happen because X ( or 10 ) is already the number they're using. They can't reverse course. Chances are iPhone X will drop in price next year while the new model may be called 2018 iPhone. I think they're dropping the 's' moniker. The 6 and 7 will get cut out while 8 remains until it phases out. The 8 is the LAST one in the series with that form factor, I believe.

24. thirteen1031 macrumors 6502a

thirteen1031

Of course. But, just because you, personally, think something is "stupid" doesn't mean its "stupid" and pointless to present it at a keynote. Animjois are just a dart thrown out. They likely cost Apple nothing to create, took little time during the keynote, and were "tossed out" to see if they'd "stick." If they do...win! If they don't, they won't undermine sales of the phone. So...why make a fuss over them being in the keynote?
    Taking just augmented reality: It was presented at the keynote as for games. But there are apps coming out that will allow you to use that augmented reality on your iPhone 8 to see what a new couch or table would look like (if it would even fit!) in your living room. As if it were really there, all dimensions taken into account. That might not matter to you, personally, but I think you can see how someone your age *might* want and use augmented reality if it did that.

Touch id phones will be around for a while, so you don't have to fear that you'll be forced to go Facial i.d. But saying that the animoji demonstration was pointless is quite simply wrong. You're going to see that in the next few years when apps using augmented reality and facial recognition appear. When you do see those very serious and useful apps, remember that those silly cartoon characters were the first step in creating them. You, personally, may never, ever want or need any such apps no matter how serious or useful. But others will. And animoji's was a quick way for Apple to show the developers of those apps what could be done.

25. a0me macrumors 65816

a0me