Apple Announces 5.8-inch 'iPhone X' With Super Retina OLED Edge-to-Edge Display

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 12, 2017.

1. jdclifford macrumors 6502

It was especially hideous when showing photos and video. Poorly designed. S/H kept small bezel across entire top of screen for cleaner look like Samsung S8 has. "Insanely Stupid" Timmy!

2. Sowelu macrumors regular

Sowelu

Love everything about the X, but why the stainless steel sides/edges?! A matte finish using a more durable (and more scratch resistant) metal (or ceramic) would have been a better option.

I certainly hope that a $1K iPhone will not have metal edges that resemble the back panel of classic iPod after a few days or weeks of use. That was a hot mess and I never understood why they used that kind of metal for a device that is meant to be carried everywhere.

Unless they're using some kind of scratch-resistant stainless steel, but I am thinking that they're probably using the same grade as the stainless steel used in the Apple watch, which scratches easily.

If they wanted to stick with a shiny look for the sides/edges, a scratch resistant chrome would have been better as well (or whatever they make high quality scratch resistant faucets out of). Or again, ceramic, which would have looked amazing, and the current iPhone X price would certainly warrant the use of a high quality option.

I guess we'll have to wait for early reports and actual user reviews (or someone on YouTube who will most-likely grab a hold of one and take a key to it or throw it around).

3. Swazaloo macrumors regular

Is that not the iOS 11 version of the message?

4. Rob_2811 macrumors 65816

No they run a retail mode when on display. You know just like iPhones do :rolleyes:

5. unobtainium macrumors 68000

It's more for travel. When I upgraded to the Plus-sized iPhone last year, I was amazed that I no longer had to scramble to find a charger, or carry along a battery pack, halfway through the day while traveling. I don't want to lose even an hour or two of that battery life.

6. trifid macrumors 65816

trifid

I wouldn't be so hopeful... Apple has made a business selling scratchable products, starting with the iconic iPod, Apple is hoping your fragile beautiful product will scratch and look horrible so that you buy another shiny one.

7. pbasmadj macrumors 6502

$1000+... why? What does it change in your day to day life that has any actual significance, given that you don't have an iphone 5. Text and call friends, insta/social, email, and so on, same exact use for 99% of people that has gone on since the 6S. And this phone does that better... how? Suppose it depends how you use your phone, but definitely plateaued in most people's use, probably back around 6S/7. I am sure many many people will line up to give away $1,000 however, not me. And that is coming from a position of being well able to. No thanks. My move is to sell my 64gb 6s and go to 128 gb 6s for about $75 total. Allure is fading, that is for sure.

8. jamesryanbell macrumors 68020

jamesryanbell

You know that's not what I meant. I'm talking about holding it horizontally to watch a video. However, I did find out you can make the video square, which is a cool option. :) Probably will end up getting one anyway. LOL
    --- Post Merged, Sep 13, 2017 ---
    Thank you!

9. Olganech macrumors regular

Welcome to Apple in 2017 paying more buys you less.

10. Jax44 macrumors 6502a

Jax44

Wow

Give it up already

11. titrau macrumors 6502a

titrau

I dont see earphone hole on X ???
    so how do we listen music ??? are they include airpod in the box package too ????

can anyone confirm this ??

thank

12. KI45, Sep 13, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2017

KI45 macrumors newbie

well technically you are paying for a newer phone that has 64GB instead of 32GB as the entry level option for a newer phone, but it should have been 128GB, not 64.

For the headphones, you get earpods with lightening connector in the box.

13. Stella macrumors 604

Stella

Apple is continuing the trend of hiking prices. Don't be surprised.

14. carpleror macrumors 6502

Yeah for $1000 I think they could have at least offered 128. We don't need 512, but 128 would have been nice...

15. Jax44 macrumors 6502a

Jax44

Yeah, what if your head gets cut off?.
    What then?...

16. lazard macrumors 65816

ehh...obviously you wouldn't have that issue considering you're in Carmel. iPhone users during the winter in places like Chicago and NY on the other hand...

17. Feenician macrumors 68040

Feenician

Somebody could prop your lifeless eyes open, point the phone at it and steal it! Headgate! Fire Timmy! Steve would never have etc. etc.

18. titrau macrumors 6502a

titrau

Where is earpod jack on X ???
    are they build in earpod in box ??? save another 170$

19. urbanslaughter97 macrumors newbie

urbanslaughter97

Um, isn't that what you actually have when they put black behind the signal strength and time, etc.?

20. riffcat macrumors member

riffcat

Others have said,
    "...Face ID is disabled after two unsuccessful attempts, requiring the user to enter the device passcode in order to be re-enabled, as described in Apple's developer beta documentation, implying that Federighi was unable to authenticate the first device."

"Face ID was generally lauded by the media during hands-on iPhone X demonstrations after the keynote, at least one journalist reported "plenty of missed unlocks", and even problems activating Face ID that were only resolved after repeatedly turning the display off and on again, which they called "a little worrying". A similar issue may have befallen Federighi on stage."

21. thirteen1031, Sep 13, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2017

thirteen1031 macrumors 6502a

thirteen1031

They'd did. Said it in the keynote. Face recognition is not bothered by glasses...and we actually don't know if sunglasses will be problem or not. Some are arguing yes, others say no.
    Unless Samsung stole it in the first place. Given the leaks, they might have made their phone this way to get a jump on Apple...everyone knows Apple doens't rush, and plenty of other companies, if they get hints of what's coming, can create fast versions, making it look like Apple is behind.

But I doubt they can prove Apple stole it, because, as I said, Apple is slow. Likely Apple was working on this design, likely had all their patents in, before Samsung had theirs in and made theirs.
    It is a question raised by one of the reviewers...can you grab the phone, lift it to the user's face and unlock it? Yes, you can. Then again, if you had a touch-id phone, the police could force you to press your thumb to it. Or scare you into giving up your passcode. On the other hand, I imagine that if the police did open up the phone without permission, incriminating evidence found on the phone might not hold up in court (at least in the U.S.). They didn't have a warrant, and you didn't give them permission...illegal search and seizure? That's just a guess on my part. A lawyer would know better.
    Please? What's this BS about being so upset about the "BS?" Is this your first keynote? Or haven't you ever noticed that self-congratulatory and benefactory have been part of Apple keynotes from the start? Every product introduced by Steve, even the ones that failed (like the tissue box), was touted as a game-changer, an Apple first, an Apple best, and of benefit to all mankind.

And if you watch any other keynotes by CEO's of other companies about their s about their products, you'll see they talk and act the same way.

But then, what do you expect: "Oh, we're so sorry, this is sub-par product...the best we could do for now...we promise to do better next time..." :rolleyes: First, even though you may see it that way, doesn't make it true, and second...they're trying to sell products. Would YOU try to sell anything from lemonade to cookies with apologies rather than: "Best lemonade ever! It will change what customers think of lemonade! And it's super good for you!" :D You'd be just the same if you were up on stage selling a product that YOU had made.

So, stop with your own BS. You know better. Or if you don't...time to wake up and smell the BS. If you don't like it, stop watching Keynotes. Because they're never going to change in being self-congradulatory or benefactory. That's good business.

22. Niklas_nick macrumors newbie

Niklas_nick

$1,000 in US might be outrageous, but $1,400 for the 64GB in western Europe is just shameless. I have been waiting for this phone for a long time, but I'll have to think about which iPhone to get until release.

23. Bacillus macrumors 65816

Bacillus

Just incredible: They.took.glass.for.the.backside
    Of the 10.000 self healing, non-metallic, unbreakable, selfrepairing, nanostructured, fabric, unsplittable, unbendable, metallurgic etc. etc. material patents that they own, and we customers paid for...
    We get this incredible and shameless return to the nearest post-Fred Flinstone age.
    This structural lack of design allure.
    Do I sense the 2017 Second Coming of the iPoddy Sock or did they want Samsung to have a collective heart attack from laughing ?

24. javier_83 macrumors newbie

In the Box
    • iPhone with iOS 11
    • EarPods with Lightning Connector
    • Lightning to 3.5 mm Headphone Jack Adapter
    • Lightning to USB Cable
    • USB Power Adapter
    • Documentation
    Another year that we will not be able to connect my new iphone to my new macbook pro without and adapter... thanks apple...

25. Olganech macrumors regular

Well spin it anyway you want that fact is the other poster could get a 128GB iPhone last year but this year for similar money they could only get a 64GB model.

So my point stands pay more and get less storage.