Apple Announces Beats Pill+ Speaker Available in November for $229

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 7, 2015.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today announced a new Beats Pill+ Bluetooth wireless speaker with a simplistic design, stereo active 2-way crossover system and 12-hour battery life. The speaker will be available for $229.95 in black or white through the Apple Online Store and authorized Beats retailers beginning next month.

[​IMG]
    Beats Pill+ Bluetooth Wireless Speaker will retail for $229.95 (Image: The Verge)

The new Beats Pill+ companion app will enable users to control the speaker using a smartphone, with features including the ability to control music from two Bluetooth sources and sync two Beats Pill+ speakers together for either simultaneous or dedicated right and left playback.
    The new Beats Pill+ replaces the original Beats Pill unveiled in October 2012, and is the company's first new speaker since being acquired by Apple for $3 billion in May 2014. The new Beats Pill+ is larger than the original Pill speaker, but smaller than the recalled Beats XL speaker, and weighs 1.5 pounds (0.68 kg).

[​IMG]
    Beats Pill+ companion app for iOS and Android

The Verge went hands-on with the new Beats Pill+ speaker, calling it "the most attractive looking and sounding speaker that Beats has ever made" after listening to a brief demo of songs from various genres, including tracks by The Weeknd, Kendrick Lamar, Tom Petty and punk rock band PUP.
    The Beats Pill+ is equipped with both Lightning and USB ports on the back for charging your iPhone or other devices. The speaker has a rubberized power button and volume controls and a metallic Beats logo that doubles as a play/pause button. There is also a line in audio port.

Article Link: Apple Announces Beats Pill+ Speaker Available in November for $229

2. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

3. oneMadRssn macrumors 601

oneMadRssn

Charged by a lightning cable, huh? Apple is really bringing the Lightning devices this year.

4. HurtinMinorKey macrumors 6502

Ah, the Beats Pill. Tool of the insufferable and inconsiderate jerks who like to play their music in public. These things should be illegal.

5. zedsdead macrumors 68040

I had a Beats Pill XL and sent it back...should've kept it...loved the design and handle.

6. kemal macrumors 65816

kemal

Looks like the one I gat at Aldi for $20. Bet they sound the same except for the bass.

7. Macwick macrumors 6502

This. WTF.

I don't get why AirPlay speakers never took off. I have an iHome W3 and love it. It's a little flaky, but the ability to push music from iTunes to multiple devices (Apple TVs, Airports, this speaker) makes it worth it.

8. KentuckyApple macrumors regular

KentuckyApple

People are still paying $200 for speakers? No wonder everybody's credit is messed up.

9. AtheistP3ace macrumors 6502a

AtheistP3ace

Never got in to these little speakers. Do they have good sound? I like airplay which my surround sound supports. Of course these are much more portable for maybe chilling outside on the deck or something!

10. sunapple macrumors 68000

sunapple

I use my Bose Soundlink Mini II in my car that has no radio, so I connect it to my phone to play offline music. Would love to have digital radio in there, but that's probably never going to happen.

Love the Soundlink for its build quality (heavy and aluminum make it feel so premium - which it is at $200), size and sound. Curious how the Pill+ compares.

11. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

Looks like these aren't designed by Apple. The bottom of the speaker doesn't say 'Designed by Apple in California' and it says 'Made in China' whereas Apple's stuff says Assembled in China'.

12. Corrode macrumors 6502a

Corrode

Yeah I find Bluetooth kind of shoddy and the quality isn't always there. I feel like the bitrate goes down when using it. My understanding is that AirPlay keeps the quality in tact but I don't own an AirPlay device and I'm too lazy to Google it.

13. RJSAudio macrumors newbie

Beats always sounds good to everyone except people who know what good-sounding audio sounds like. :)

14. Petey-Pete macrumors newbie

Petey-Pete

15. bmunge macrumors 6502

They are great for exactly what you mentioned. I have a Jambox and it's awesome for camping trips, the beach, or taking it up to the rooftop. The sound is surprisingly good, at least with the Jambox, they are very durable, and the battery life lasts all day.

16. JeffyTheQuik macrumors 68020

JeffyTheQuik

I know what you're thinking...

Why didn't I take the blue pill?

(That's what she said...)

17. amro, Oct 7, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2015

amro macrumors 6502

My comments are based on comparisons from several years back, but I compared several at the Apple store when more than Beats was offered. The Bose Mini Soundlinks blew every other similar sized speaker out the water. And it wasn't just the highs and the lows. Still use them to this day and still amazed at the bass that comes from them.

18. Mac 128 macrumors 603

Mac 128

Yup, I wonder what else that lightning port is capable of with a firmware update? Lightning and wireless on an audio device with a 57% growth in Bluetooth headphone and speakers over the last year, I'd say the the days of the headphone jack on ever slimming Apple products is numbered.

I think that's coming. Apple Music was and still is the priority I think. No need to invest in a complete home delivery system until they get the kinks worked out of it ... And there are quite a few kinks. Compared to my Sonos system which is very easy to use, and gives me easy access to any streaming service I want.

But reading about the capabilities of these Beats speakers, I noticed many similarities between them, and Sonos, that I don't think we're there before. So this could potentially be a test run to see whether consumers will utilize them in that fashion with Bluetooth technology, before they roll out the big guns down the line -- a complete wireless sound system for the home that connects to all of your Apple devices, anywhere anytime, all controlled by Siri. When Apple builds that car, it's gonna need a sound system too. So it makes sense that Apple would continue to expand in areas they're gonna need for that car if nothing else ... ;-)

19. sblemmy macrumors regular

sblemmy

The Bose Soundlink Mini II is vastly superior in build quality and sound to the Beats Pill. Given how much worse the Pill sounds than the Soundlink Mini, I doubt even a major improvement would make the Pill+ sound good in comparison.

20. attila macrumors 6502a

attila

Also, with Airplay you can have virtually unlimited amount of speakers playing at once.

21. Macboy Pro macrumors 6502a

Try $119. $229 is high, even for Apple.

22. Daalseth macrumors 6502a

They look nice. Haven't heard them but I like bass so I might like the sound. But $229? Uh, no.

23. skinned66 macrumors 65816

skinned66

24. zorinlynx macrumors 603

zorinlynx

Oh Apple, you're adorable when you try to break into new markets.

JBL's portable speakers not only sound better than Beats but cost less. The recently released Flip 3 and Extreme are amazing and give you a lot more boom for the buck.