Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today announced that the Vision Pro headset will launch in the United States on Friday, February 2.

Apple-WWCD23-Vision-Pro-EyeSight-230605.jpg

The headset will be available at all Apple Store locations in the United States, as well as via the online Apple Store. Apple CEO Tim Cook today said:
The era of spatial computing has arrived. Apple Vision Pro is the most advanced consumer electronics device ever created. Its revolutionary and magical user interface will redefine how we connect, create, and explore.

Apple says that the Vision Pro is "a revolutionary spatial computer that transforms how people work, collaborate, connect, relive memories, and enjoy entertainment."

The Vision Pro is set to be available starting at $3,499 with 256GB of storage. Pre-orders begin two weeks prior to launch, opening on Friday, January 19 at 5 a.m. PST.

Article Link: Apple Announces February 2 Launch Date for Vision Pro Headset

Last edited:

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
My questionable opinion is that this is designed wrong. Since there's a belt clip battery and it's tethered, wouldn't it make more sense to house the cpu there, and make it modular? Make the eyewear as light as possible? You could use a version of a phone. Sell more phones, create upgrade paths. I could really get into this. This is something the great Steve Jobs might have done, setting goals for eyepiece weight, which really needs to be a a certain spec for something like this to go mainstream.

Just not this version.

Last edited:

GLS

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2010
As someone with only one working eye, I honestly feel this is a piece of tech (no matter the manufacturer) that I simply will not be able to get full use of.

Maybe I'm wrong; I've been this way for over 40 years now, and I've adapted fine. But this, to me, seems to be something you need two working eyes to experience fully.

Kissmo1980

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2021
This product makes me feel like Galadriel when Frodo offers her the ring...
"I don't deny that my heart desires this..."

But at the same time, my brain says this might be a very expensive gimmick.

I am however super interested in it. I hope it becomes a success, and I hope Apple figures out a way to make it look and feel less heavy and clunky.

It's not having the same effect on me as the first iPhone had, but again, it's a different world we live in.
Wearing headsets is not something I feel OK with, a simple headphone is killing me - ears hot, hair messed up.... couldn't see this product as a long session work station for me.

Fingers crossed for Apple they succeed here.

mrat93

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2006
I think I’m gonna end up buying and returning. I want to try it but it’s just not there yet, at least for me.

The Vision Pro is set to be available starting at $3,499 with 256GB of storage.

Insane lol. If $100 of your purchase price went to raw storage, it would come with 2TB.

Half of the storage as the higher-end Quest 3, for more than 5x the price.

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
Since there's a belt clip battery and it's tethered, wouldn't it make more sense to house the cpu there, and make it modular? And make the eyewear as light as possible?
The CPU is not what makes it heavy. It’s the lenses, the mechanics, the eye-tracking, the cameras, the front display, and the frame that needs to hold everything together.

The camera–>CPU/GPU–>display path also needs to be extremely fast in order to achieve the low latency required for mixed reality. An external solution would complicate that.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.