Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple Announces iPhone 4 Sales of 1.7 Million, Most Successful Product Launch Ever

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Apple today announced sales of over 1.7 million iPhone 4s through Saturday, covering just the first three days of sales.
Apple today announced that it has sold over 1.7 million of its iPhone 4 through Saturday, June 26, just three days after its launch on June 24. The new iPhone 4 features FaceTime, which makes video calling as easy as one tap, and Apple's new Retina display, the highest resolution display ever built into a phone, resulting in stunning text, images and video.

"This is the most successful product launch in Apple's history," said Steve Jobs, Apple's CEO. "Even so, we apologize to those customers who were turned away because we did not have enough supply."
Saturday marked the end of Apple's third fiscal quarter (and second calendar quarter), and thus sales from Sunday forward will be included in Apple's next fiscal quarter, due to end in late September.

Apple continues to note that iPhone 4 will move beyond the initial launch countries of the United States, UK, France, Germany, and Japan into an additional 18 countries by the end of July: Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Finland, Hong Kong, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway, New Zealand, Singapore, South Korea, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland.

Article Link: Apple Announces iPhone 4 Sales of 1.7 Million, Most Successful Product Launch Ever

uberamd

macrumors 68030
May 26, 2009
Minnesota
Count me into that 1.7 million. Even with some flaws, I do love the device so far.

How many Nexus Ones have been sold? 300,000?

Comment

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
""Even so, we apologize to those customers who were turned away because we did not have enough supply.""

And we wait for the apology from Steve for the % of the 1.7 million who are having reception/camera/proximity sensor and other issues.

Oh right - it's a non-issue ;)

Comment

csmitty

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2007
Successful launch, riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. Probably the most botched they've had.

Comment

aidym

macrumors member
May 25, 2007
UK
It doesn't drop the call, the bars just go down.

It does drop the call!!! Since owning the iP4, I have had a total of 6 dropped calls.

I NEVER had any dropped calls with the iP2G, 3G or 3GS on O2_UK.

Comment

yg17

macrumors G5
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
A phone that sells 1.7 million units within weeks is not a success? :confused:

Not if it has as many problems as the iP4 has. Dropped calls, yellow spots on screen, etc.

But I guess it's all OK because it's Apple and Apple can do no wrong, right?

Comment

timerollson

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2005
heretothere
WOW! Imagine if the white iPhones were available too. They could've easily surpassed in 2 million in 3 days.

What's that about Apple losing steam again naysayers?

Comment

Mark Booth

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2008
Jesus people, we already have 10 zillion topics about the reception issue! You're still well within your return window, take the thing back and go get an Android OS phone. I'm sure you'll be so much happier with that choice. ;)

Congrats to Apple on its most successful product launch ever!! It's stories like that make me remember Steve "Monkey Boy" Ballmer's comment in 2007... "The iPhone will never gain significant market share."

:rolleyes:

Mark

Comment

uberamd

macrumors 68030
May 26, 2009
Minnesota
Jesus people, we already have 10 zillion topics about the reception issue! You're still well within your return window, take the thing back and go get an Android OS phone. I'm sure you'll be so much happier with that choice. ;)

This. We do not need yet another thread hijacked to discuss reception issues!

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.