Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has announced a special shopping event, called "Lose Your Wallet," to be held in San Francisco next weekend, on June 23-25, with a collection of discounts for Apple Pay users. In Hayes Valley and the Marina anyone who has Apple Pay set up on their iPhone or Apple Watch will be able to take advantage of the exclusive discounts and offers at a variety of merchants (via Apple Insider).

Some of the Hayes Valley merchants with exclusive Apple Pay offers running next weekend include Aether (get a free gift card), Smitten Ice Cream (take 25 percent off your order), Blue Bottle Coffee (take 15 percent off your order), Sugar ($5 martinis and beers), Double Decker (get large fries for $1), and more. The offers will be enacted immediately when users check out at each store with Apple Pay.

apple-pay-lose-your-wallet.jpg

In the Marina, some locations participating include David's Tea (take 10 percent off and get free tea of the day), Ghirardelli (get a free chocolate pouch), Marina Deli (get a free cookie with a sandwich), Peet's Coffee (take $1 off all beverages), United Liquor and Deli (get a free cork puller with every bottle of wine), and more.

In total, twenty stores in Hayes Valley and sixteen stores in the Marina will have Apple Pay-related offers and discounts for users June 23-25. Check out Apple's new webpage for the "Lose Your Wallet" event to see the full list. The site also lists a few exclusive app and partner offers, including Caviar (take $5 off your order) and an invitation from Square to visit its pop-up on Hayes Street and in the Marina for more exclusive Apple Pay offers.

Article Link: Apple Announces 'Lose Your Wallet' Apple Pay Shopping Event With Merchant Discounts in San Francisco

Last edited:

epca12

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2017
UK
Love the idea. Great way to get Apple Pay more exposed.

Now roll out in more countries!! Darn you Apple.. well mostly the banks..
I agree, i hope they start doing this in other countries soon but it could end up being US only

Reactions: Glyn H

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
I'd love to lose the wallet but I have found Apple Pay too inconsistent to try paying for anything without a card with me. It works at most places most of the time but sometime doesn't. There are other places like McDonalds where it doesn't work for me at all anymore - used to. I'd love for it to work great all the time but it doesn't.

Reactions: BurgDog

caraveo

Suspended
Jul 1, 2015
Artesia, New Mexico

Apple has announced a special shopping event, called "Lose Your Wallet," to be held in San Francisco next weekend, on June 23-25, with a collection of discounts for Apple Pay users. In Hayes Valley and the Marina anyone who has Apple Pay set up on their iPhone or Apple Watch will be able to take advantage of the exclusive discounts and offers at a variety of merchants (via Apple Insider).

Some of the Hayes Valley merchants with exclusive Apple Pay offers running next weekend include Aether (get a free gift card), Smitten Ice Cream (take 25 percent off your order), Blue Bottle Coffee (take 15 percent off your order), Sugar ($5 martinis and beers), Double Decker (get large fries for $1), and more. The offers will be enacted immediately when users check out at each store with Apple Pay.

apple-pay-lose-your-wallet.jpg

In the Marina, some locations participating include David's Tea (take 10 percent off and get free tea of the day), Ghirardelli (get a free chocolate pouch), Marina Deli (get a free cookie with a sandwich), Peet's Coffee (take $1 off all beverages), United Liquor and Deli (get a free cork puller with every bottle of wine), and more.

In total, twenty stores in Hayes Valley and sixteen stores in the Marina will have Apple Pay-related offers and discounts for users June 23-25. Check out Apple's new webpage for the "Lose Your Wallet" event to see the full list. The site also lists a few exclusive app and partner offers, including Caviar (take $5 off your order) and an invitation from Square to visit its pop-up on Hayes Street and in the Marina for more exclusive Apple Pay offers.

Article Link: Apple Announces 'Lose Your Wallet' Apple Pay Shopping Event With Merchant Discounts in San Francisco
[doublepost=1497717088][/doublepost]Probably a "Loose your Money" Event

tmiw

macrumors 68030
Jun 26, 2007
San Diego, CA
I'd love to lose the wallet but I have found Apple Pay too inconsistent to try paying for anything without a card with me. It works at most places most of the time but sometime doesn't. There are other places like McDonalds where it doesn't work for me at all anymore - used to. I'd love for it to work great all the time but it doesn't.

Weird, I used it the other day at McDonald's and it worked fine. It was one of the chip-enabled ones too, which I've heard causes issues.

Reactions: Kaibelf

McFlyOz

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2015
Key Largo
$5 beer? Is that for the bottom of the barrel holding house i.e. Schlitz (sp?), Natural Ice, Victoria Bitter, anything from Canada and you pay thrice as much for middle of the grade stuff? Extortion! Beer should be 1970's prices. $2 a pint, damn you! Might have to use a camel back for when I travel to San Franexpensivebeer-o filled with beer.

FireArse

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2004
I've left the house and realised in the car that I'd left the wallet at home.

I carried on driving to the store because I knew the store I was going to accepted Apple Pay and had my iPhone on me.

It is reliable and I try use it more than normal cards.

F

zalusky

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2014
Two years ago, Just after they turned it off, Home Depot promised they would be the worlds largest Apple Pay vendor. What happened there?

Reactions: Aston441

truthertech

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2016

Sounds like an issue with your phone. Works perfect at Mac and Don's for me. Contact Apple support.

Reactions: orbital~debris

ecschwarz

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2010
Sounds like an issue with your phone. Works perfect at Mac and Don's for me. Contact Apple support.

I've seen some issues at McDonald's here and there, but nothing consistent (it was often the older Verifone readers with the external NFC antennas that were disconnected and such), but it seems like most have upgraded to the mx915 units and those have been mostly flawless.

I've also seen some weird instances where a Discover card won't read, but just about any other will—I'm chalking that up to Discover joining late and some merchants not setting things up properly.

Speaking of Discover, I think this was the first big push for Apple Pay over traditional payment menthods since fall 2015 when Discover gave everyone 10% cashback for all Apple Pay transactions and I want to say the cap was relatively high - maybe $10k? Banks and or merchants (with the help/subsidization of Apple?) need to offer some incentives like these to get people to want to try Apple Pay.

Reactions: prasand

GenesisST

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2006
Where I live
I'd love to go wallet free, but it just isn't practical yet... Still need driver's license, health card, and what not. Also still need the credit card for the few hold outs here or for purchases over 100$. One day!

Although, you would need to make sure you don't run out of battery! :-D

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012
I been an enthusiastic Apple Pay user and evangelist since Day 1.

But for the "lose your wallet" theme to be real, from Apple's side, we need a comprehensive wallet that can hold items like driver's license, health insurance cards, vehivle registrations and insurance documents, etc.

On the other end, for the wallet to become dominant, the rest of the world needs to start issuing and accepting such eDocs.

As we see, the first great attempt is via credit/debit cards is not proceeding as quickly as many of us have hoped given the slow installation rate of NFC POS by some merchants and the active blocking of this method of payment by other merchants.

I am hopeful that if Apple makes the next step by expanding the functionality of the wallet, merchants and governments will see the opportunity and feel the pressure to offer the items that will fill the wallet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.