Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today announced that the new MacBook Air equipped with the M2 chip will be available to order starting Friday, July 8 at 5 a.m. Pacific Time. Apple said deliveries to customers and in-store availability will begin Friday, July 15.

macbook-air-m2-order-date-feature.jpg

MacRumors exclusively reported that Apple planned to launch the new MacBook Air on July 15, and the date has now been confirmed by Apple. Customers will be able to order the MacBook Air via Apple.com or the Apple Store app.

The new MacBook Air has been redesigned with a slightly larger 13.6-inch display, a notch, flatter edges, and new Starlight and Midnight color options. The notebook features MagSafe charging, an upgraded 1080p camera, two Thunderbolt 3 ports, a 3.5mm headphone jack with support for high-impedance headphones, four speakers, and more.

Apple says the M2 chip has up to an 18% faster CPU, up to a 35% faster GPU, and up to a 40% faster Neural Engine compared to the M1 chip. With the M2 chip, the MacBook Air can be configured with up to 24GB of unified memory, whereas the M1 chip supports a maximum 16GB of memory. The notebook is available with up to a 2TB SSD.

Pricing for the new MacBook Air starts at $1,199 in the United States. The previous-generation MacBook Air with the M1 chip remains available for $999.

Article Link: Apple Announces MacBook Air With M2 Chip Available to Order Starting July 8, Launches July 15

Last edited:

bookcase

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2014
Boston, MA
I'm in desperate need for a new computer -- my MacBook is from early 2016 and crawling to its grave. I hope I can get in early enough to get the MBA without ridiculous wait times.

Reactions: progressivebpm

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
We will see if this model is truly trendy rather than being only MacRumors forum popular.

Given M2 MacBook Pro's slow SSD and overheating issue (Apple never put a better cooling in their laptops), it would be interesting to both see the benchmark results, "real-life" tests, as well as forum reports.

sgreen314

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2013
I’m starting to wonder if it’s an issue with the chassis on that MBP. They didn’t change anything in there outside of the SOC and consolidated to NAND storage chips into one.
I think consolidating the NAND flash into one chip is the problem. You can only have so much throughput on a chip; having two (or more) in parallel can increase the overall transfer speed, up to a point of course.

If this is the case in the M2 Air; having only one chip instead of two, how much of a difference will it make to the average consumer using the Air for general purpose applications?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.