Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Loompy

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2011
New iPad Pro is everything I was hoping for: P3 display, A10X, better cameras

I was surprised with a 512GB storge option but that is great!

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
No OLED display!
No 3D touch!
No Upate to 7.9 inch model?
No slim bezels for the 12.9 model,same old design
No Matt /Jet black colour option
Tim's got to keep those margins up!

Maybe next year's iPad update will be something to cheer about when the iPad Pro adopts the look and features of the next iPhone (8?), including OLED, 3D Touch, integrated TouchID, etc. Who knows, maybe even the mini will get a reprieve with a new 8.7-9.0" OLED display with integrated TouchID in the screen as well as 3D Touch, improved cameras, etc.

Last edited:

Saturn1217

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2008
I think 3D Touch is freakishly difficult to implement on an iPad.

I think I remember reading that implementing 3d touch + whatever screen tech allows the pencil to work is very difficult. If I have to choose I would rather have Apple pencil support in the iPad but I think Apple should allow a long press to replicate 3d touch on iPads. Missing most of the new features of the new control center on non-3d touch devices is kind of lame.

Still very excited for these updates!

Reactions: RevTEG

Suspended
Sep 3, 2016
iPad Pro 10.5 - I would buy it depending on Microsoft Office - if it is free then I'll purchase it right now!

redscull

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Texas
As someone who had been waiting for the new Pro to replace my Air 1, the new 10.5 was not a disappointment. Unless we learn it only has 2GB RAM. Guess we'll know that answer as soon as people start receiving them?

The only thing I don't like is the stupid camera bump. Whatever. Doesn't look like those are ever going away. Honestly I'd rather just have a lower quality camera that's flush.

Any idea when Best Buy normally gets new models? I'm super tempted to push the order button on Apple's site right now, but I have a load of Best Buy credits that I don't think I'll find anything else to spend on.

Reactions: riomp300

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
The 10.5" model looks to be a decent upgrade from my old iPad Air 2. I'll wait for the eventual $50 price drop or gift card deal on the 64GB model. Best Buy may even run a similar deal when the cheap iPad was released a fe months ago.
And speaking about that "new iPad" I wonder how many people are kicking themselves. Other than price this is a much better product.

Perene

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2015
Netherealm
Having 512 GB isn't that great, I have two IPPs 9.7, one with 256 and another with 128 GB. And I am not even close to filling that much space in both of them, specially now since I discovered the combo Google Drive (free 15 GB accounts) + nPlayer Plus. I can use this app to play losslessly my contents.

I don't need to put files with several GB (in lossless versions) in the iPAD, and against this idea there's the fact my gigabit router can only send up to 50, 60 MB/s speed. So it takes a while to upload them from my PC to the iPAD.

I know we can waste a lot of space recording videos, with games and all sorts of stuff... but I think that is hardly an improvement, compared to improved battery life and faster charge. And there's also the question I raised earlier, if this new iPAD will be capable of playing all sorts of 4K videos, including that one from the Smurfs 2 UHD-BD.

If there's only some marginal improvement despite what's been announced, then I don't think it's worth an upgrade. I mean improvement in terms of playing all sorts of files, and we not only have 4K, there's 8K too.

Reactions: jamesrick80

Cyroceon

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2008

Any idea when Best Buy normally gets new models? I'm super tempted to push the order button on Apple's site right now, but I have a load of Best Buy credits that I don't think I'll find anything else to spend on.

I'm also wondering when third parties will open up to ordering. I'm looking to get the Cellular model from AT&T, but see no mention of it anywhere.

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
well i was hoping this would give us some ideas for the new iphone but it doesn't other than the iOS.

these are just too expensive.

This won't turn things around for lagging ipad sales.

New iPhone will likely have TrueTone or some improved version and also start at 64GB. I have a feeling we'll get some split view features on the Plus or Pro model too.

Reactions: jb-net

potatis

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2006
HDR video as in rent-movies-from-itunes-store-with-hdr? Says HDR for camera/photos on the Apple webpage tech.

lockerc18

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2012
Having 512 GB isn't that great, I have two IPPs 9.7, one with 256 and another with 128 GB. And I am not even close to filling that much space in both of them, specially now since I discovered the combo Google Drive (free 15 GB accounts) + nPlayer Plus. I can use this app to play losslessly my contents.

I don't need to put files with several GB (in lossless versions) in the iPAD, and against this idea there's the fact my gigabit router can only send up to 50, 60 MB/s speed. So it takes a while to upload them from my PC to the iPAD.

I know we can waste a lot of space recording videos, with games and all sorts of stuff... but I think that is hardly an improvement, compared to improved battery life and faster charge. And there's also the question I raised earlier, if this new iPAD will be capable of playing all sorts of 4K videos, including that one from the Smurfs 2 UHD-BD.

If there's only some marginal improvement despite what's been announced, then I don't think it's worth an upgrade. I mean improvement in terms of playing all sorts of files, and we not only have 4K, there's 8K too.
I have 64GB on my iPad3, and have 44GB free. So I don't need any more than the base 64GB on this new iPad. And that is what I got when I ordered mine.

But, why is the bezel on the silver model white? Didn't it used to be black, like the space gray one?

gtgrad95

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2007
Atlanta, GA.
Tempted to replace my iPad Air 2 with this one. Love the increase in screen real estate without increasing the size of the device.

However, would it be prudent to wait for the OLED display version next year? I already got burned by buying the late 2016 MBP and seeing them update it again today in 6 months.

mabhatter

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2009
The iPad Pro 10.5" resolution doesn't look like 2732x2048 to me.

screen_shot_2017-06-05_at_11.43.38_am.png

(Image from AnandTech.)

9.7" and 12.9" keyboard comparison:

ipad-pro-vs-air-keyboard-screens.jpg

The resolution looks like 2224x1668.

EDIT: Apple's specifications page says 2224x1668 at 264 PPI.
This bugs me because now iPad Pro has TWO resolutions that are going to get poor App support. The 12.9" version still has a lot of apps that don't scale properly years later because App Makers don't see money from it. Now there's a new Pro with a new resolution to not-support. Or worse App makers will start charging extra for "Pro" versions of iPad apps and we'll have to buy more stuff.

Reactions: BigMac?

BigMac?

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2007
Erlangen, Bavaria
I'm still missing a kick-stand like solution. This whole fold-to-feel-pro thing feels so un-pro!
[doublepost=1496708800][/doublepost]
Tempted to replace my iPad Air 2 with this one. Love the increase in screen real estate without increasing the size of the device.

However, would it be prudent to wait for the OLED display version next year? I already got burned by buying the late 2016 MBP and seeing them update it again today in 6 months.
I would recommend to wait. I always regret my first-gen purchases

latts

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2008
I was all set to buy the new 10.5" iPad... and then I saw the ugly protruding rear camera.
*sigh*
Empty shopping basket.....

What were they thinking. I hate the rocking of my iPhone 7 on a flat surface and I can imagine this would be even worse.

Why not keep the same 6.9mm of the larger model and add more battery

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
What were they thinking. I hate the rocking of my iPhone 7 on a flat surface and I can imagine this would be even worse.

Why not keep the same 6.9mm of the larger model and add more battery

Because that would mean a thicker and heavier device and there are actually people who use it on the move. People like myself, who walk around the classroom with it in hand and appreciate every last gram Apple can shave off it.

uwdude

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2014
This doesn't seem like a huge upgrade to me, unless the extra processor power is really needed for ios 11 or something. Already enjoying the virtual home button on the galaxy s8+, the Apple stuff seems behind.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Am I the only one who finds it odd that iPad was increased to 120 Hz display, but no Macs have it?

Will it be able to run Ultra-HD Blu-ray MKV lossless fles?

Such as that one?
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/infuse-5-for-ios-released.1806370/page-15#post-24615686

If the answer is still no, I am not interested.

Not natively for certain - Apple doesn't support MKV files. But iOS 11 does have built-in support for H.265 encode/decode, so third-party apps should be able to do it with the OS's built-in codec support.

Also, "MKV lossless" is a bit of a misnomer. You mean "an MKV direct rip".

Reactions: Strutten

TechFounder

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2015
Sigh, once again Cook shows us his incompetence. Jobs picked the perfect screen size. Only an idiot would change it to a larger size. You would think after seeing so few sales from the 12.9" that he would get the hint that no one likes to carry around a ginormous device. So, instead of making the 9.7" smaller by squeezing the bezel, he went the other way! So now buyers have to chose between big and bigger. The size differential between the two Pro devices are now too narrow. This is just plain dumb.

Reactions: ThaRuler
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.