Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
I was thinking of buying this to replace my ATT Uverse stock two year old modem/router combo. I have been pretty unhappy with the wireless strength, and have been mulling the idea of adding the airport extreme, or just another access point. Thoughts?

Go into router and turn off the wireless portion. Plus putting another router after that router (that is still doing NAT)and put the Apple Extreme in "Bridged Mode" (this turn off NAT in an apple router) and it will still work great and you won't get that dreaded "DoubleNAT" error.

HE15MAN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2009
Florida's Treasure Coast
Another access point will probably be best.

Go into router and turn off the wireless portion. Plus putting another router after that router (that is still doing NAT)and put the Apple Extreme in "Bridged Mode" (this turn off NAT in an apple router) and it will still work great and you won't get that dreaded "DoubleNAT" error.

Any recommendations on which ones?

ApplNat

macrumors member
May 18, 2013
I've been trying out this new Airport Time Capsule Extreme over the past 2 days and I am going to return it to Apple. I realized I need my router and backups to be separate. Plus, I like to tweak router settings to a level that is not possible with the Airport solution. Also, because I have older devices on my network, not all can join a 5ghz network, which limits me as there are 2 different networks. Bottomline: the Airport Time Capsule extreme is an elegant piece of engineering but it's not the right solution for my particular needs. I'm going back to my Dlink router and will get a separate backup drive.

Xgm541

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2011
Any recommendations on which ones?

Sorry for the late reply. I do not have any specific recommendations as I don't use a range extension for my wifi at home. I would recommend looking into other options rather than apple express however because of the price...

Gaelic2

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2007
Mountains of N. California
I have the last iteration of Apple's base station. I use it with a new iMac, iPod touch 5th gen and an iPad 3 gen. Would installing this new station do anything at all for me? Do I need the new equipment on my en d as well before this can make a difference?

RedGeminiPA

macrumors member
May 17, 2009
Altoona, PA
I have the last iteration of Apple's base station. I use it with a new iMac, iPod touch 5th gen and an iPad 3 gen. Would installing this new station do anything at all for me? Do I need the new equipment on my en d as well before this can make a difference?

I upgraded to the new Time Capsule from a 2nd Gen Time Capsule yesterday, and overall network speed seems better. Range is much better, overall. I live in a very old plank house, so it definitely makes a difference when penetrating walls and floors.

As for 802.11ac, I won't be able to test that out until Apple updates the Mac mini and I buy one.

potatis

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2006
I know Apple says Lion is required but has anyone tried setting them up with Snow Leopard and succeed?

16navidr

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2013
SPEEEEEEED!

Great product if you don't mind the lack of advanced setup features...
I love the tall design. It's beautiful and a nice change from the old ones.

It's useless for me and my 802.11n 2011 iMac 27" though:(

AtomicGrog

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2011
Have 3 in my house (The prev gen obviously), was rather looking for next iteration to (a) shrink (b) have some decent new features like mesh (c) did i say shrink.

I look at Google Wifi and then look at this monstrosity and it makes me sad.

Reactions: DeepIn2U
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.