Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

John Kotches

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2010
Troy, IL (STL Area)
Loco:

1. Are the options to turn this into an access point easily accessible?

2. Can you confirm that in access point mode the WAN port is an additional LAN port?

3. Does it have Jumbo frame support? With Jumbo Frames I can put this in my office and use it as a replacement for the existing switch and kill the existing router that's used as a WAP.

DisplacedMic

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
I have two Apple TVs, one of which is wired and the other of which is wireless due to reasons beyond my control. Sorry, but I'm going to have to disagree. The wired one is solid, the wireless one simply is not, and it's not a distance issue.

if it's not a "distance issue" then there is an issue with interference. you could try an extender?

there's no question that wireless is going to generally be a faster and more reliable connection that wireless - obviously noticeably so in your situation.

however, for those cases, is 1 extra ethernet port going to be a make it or break it variable for the majority of people? As i said, you can get a small switcher and manage wires in any number of ways. Not a big deal. This is just my opinion of course - if it is enough people's opinion then the market will force them to put that port back in next time. However my theory is that people will adapt. The world is becoming wireless...

locoboi187

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2012
Loco,

If you have a sec...

1) What router are you upgrading from?
2) What spec(s) are you using? (a,g,n, etc)?
3) If you have devices using the n spec, what band 2.4ghz or 5ghz?
4) What's the performance delta from old router to the new one?

I'm really on the fence about buying this, currently using a 5th gen AP Extreme and I'm finding that the range isn't really cutting it, especially on the 5ghz band. Any feeback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Ram
1. A crappy $20 netgear router lol
2. I'm using g(PC) and n(rMBP). I haven't connected my iPhone 5 yet.
3. My rMBP is on 5GHz
4. My post is probably not gonna help you since I'm coming from a bad router lol. Significant improvement over the netgear.

----------

Loco:

1. Are the options to turn this into an access point easily accessible?

2. Can you confirm that in access point mode the WAN port is an additional LAN port?

3. Does it have Jumbo frame support? With Jumbo Frames I can put this in my office and use it as a replacement for the existing switch and kill the existing router that's used as a WAP.

I will check an let you know when I get off work!

John Kotches

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2010
Troy, IL (STL Area)
DisplacedMic:

You are correct that 1 extra GigE isn't make or break for most people... but the people that tend to hang out at sites like these tend to be the corner cases for computer gear. So yes, the 1 port makes a difference for me, as does the jumbo frames.

Others are probably in that boat too.

Tike1994

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2010
St. Charles, IL
I went into an Apple Store today and the salesperson told me that the iPhone 5, iPad Mini, and the current iPad could all take advantage of the beamforming technology. Isn't that completely false?

iAppl3Fan

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2011
I went into an Apple Store today and the salesperson told me that the iPhone 5, iPad Mini, and the current iPad could all take advantage of the beamforming technology. Isn't that completely false?

Of course it's false. Those devices don't have 802.11ac.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Agreed on the ports. I could justify it when the Extreme and Time Capsule were the old size, or even if Apple sold switches, and wanted to make that money. But they don't have a dog on that fight, and there is plenty of room to put another port on (to match the competition) or maybe two or three (to elevate the Apple option).

I currently have two AirPort Express-n routers. On both of them, I don't *NEED*, but would really *PREFER* one extra port.

The one that is my main router (the original 100Mbit-only model,) has internet coming in, and the three ports have: VOIP box, home server, and network printer. I also have a desktop computer there that is currently using WiFi, but I'd prefer to have it over Ethernet.

Then I have one in my home office (the slightly newer Gigabit model, still single-band-at-a-time though.) It has my main iMac, another networked printer, a PC workstation, and my 'Classic Mac' (Power Mac G4 'Digital Audio' model that I still use for audio editing.) I also have an iMac G4 over there I often use that connects over 802.11b since I don't have an extra Ethernet.

I am likely to get a new Time Machine when I get my next new Mac, though. Probably a 13" Air for my wife in the next month or two. I figure that will replace my main router AirPort (since it is currently using a USB hard drive to serve up as a Time Machine target.)

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
How to Backup the Disk

I noticed you can Archive your Disk but it appears to only Archive to a USB Device. Not even sure how that works. Would be nice to have it Archive to a Network Share or to another Time Capsule. I have a Synology Box at work and it automatically does a backup each night to the Synology Box at my house (only the changes). The one at my house does a backup to the USB Drive Attached. This work great. Would like something like that for the Time Capsule. I believe you can use Time Machine to backup to 2 difference Time Capsules which would work but does not backup the files on the Time Capsule if you use it as a NAS Device. Would also be good if you could point to a second Time Capsule over the Internet for offsite backup (like I cam doing with Synology).

Any suggestions?

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
I have a Time Capsule 2TB on the way from Apple. If anyone cares, I'll compare the performance with my 2012 iMac, iPhone 5 etc vs my Gen. 4 (latest gen up till this point) Time Capsule. I can't test AC, but for those wondering if it does better over 5Ghz N and 2.4Ghz G, I'll be able to help.

locoboi187

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2012
@John

For 1&2 I unfortunately do not see them in AirPort utility and for number 3 I honestly have no idea. If you can point me in the right direction I have no problem helping you out. Sorry bud!

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
My only criticism with the aesthetics of this new Airport is with the placement of the Apple logo. I think, given the taller design, the logo would actually look better on the front.

locoboi187

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2012
My only criticism with the aesthetics of this new Airport is with the placement of the Apple logo. I think, given the taller design, the logo would actually look better on the front.

Thats true, mines placed on top of a shelf like desk. Can barely see the top. Logo should have been on the front. But oh well, I never look at my routers for fun anyway.

ProMod

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2005
I just bought one. If anyone wants to know anything about it let me know and I'll try to answer what I can.

Can you please perform a large high-speed wireless download and see if you hear any buzzing or sizzling sound coming from the AEBS? Thanks!

RedGeminiPA

macrumors member
May 17, 2009
Altoona, PA
Average lifespan of the current generation TC: 18 mos. Let's see how the new ones hold up.

My 2nd Gen 1TB Time Capsule has been purring like a kitten for nearly 4 years. It's been the best router I've ever owned, and I've been through plenty. I'm jumping on the new one as soon as I get back from vacation!

akbarali.ch

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2011
Mumbai (India)
So you can plug in an external hard-drive (via USB 2, argh :mad:) and share that on the network, right?

What about Time Capsule. Can its internal hard-drive be shared on the network, or is only for Time Machine backups?

----------

What about gigabit Ethernet?

The TC is external HD plus router with a USB port (not sure about the usb on the Newest one). TC can be shared with with PC & Mac, with some utility on PC provided by apple. It appears as a shared drive.
Time Machine on the other hand is app that uses any HD, internal or external for backup and so you can use the same TC for back up too...All simultaneously...great isn't it ? that kind compatibility & inter connectivity you get being this side of the 'walled garden'!!

sick z33

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2008
The Airport utility being installed on machine will make the TC viewable in your Network icon on PC. :)

VenusianSky

macrumors 65816
Aug 28, 2008
My 2nd Gen 1TB Time Capsule has been purring like a kitten for nearly 4 years. It's been the best router I've ever owned, and I've been through plenty. I'm jumping on the new one as soon as I get back from vacation!

Same here. I've been using a 1st gen 500GB since they came out and it has been solid. Picked up the new one yesterday. Hopefully it holds up just as well.

c-Row

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Germany
I know there are setups that would benefit from it, but it isn't without irony that some people ask for more ports to plug wires into on a wireless device.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
Bought one yesterday and set it up at my brother's house. He had a previous extreme and all i can say is it's faster, runs cooler and has much better range than even the previous generation and that's on 802.11n. Looking forward to getting my Air and seeing increased productivity. Who cares what it looks like, the design obviously facilitates the performance. Love it.

Yea i bet though your aren't using the correct channels to get AC or even N frequencies. So your probably aren't getting the true speeds available because your still struck using 2.4G frequencies. :eek:

locoboi187

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2012
Can you please perform a large high-speed wireless download and see if you hear any buzzing or sizzling sound coming from the AEBS? Thanks!

Performed a large download of 1.5GB @ 2.5 MB/s (2,500kb/s) and heard no buzzing or sizzling sound while or after the download.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.