Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today introduced a new iPad Pro with the M2 chip, a new hovering Apple Pencil feature, faster Wi-Fi 6E, and more.

iPad-Pro-M2.jpg

With the M2 chip, the new iPad Pro has up to 15% faster CPU performance and up to 35% faster GPU performance compared to the previous iPad Pro with the M1 chip, according to Apple. The chip has a new media engine and image signal processor that enables ProRes video recording for the first time and up to 3x faster ProRes video transcoding.

On the new iPad Pro, the second-generation Apple Pencil is now detected while it hovers up to 12mm above the display, allowing users to see a preview of their drawing before they make it. And with Scribble, text fields automatically expand when the pencil gets near the screen.

The new iPad Pro is the first Apple device with Wi-Fi 6E, with Apple advertising download speeds of up to 2.4Gbps.

The new iPad Pro is available to order starting today on Apple.com and in the Apple Store app in the U.S. and 27 other countries, with pricing starting at $799 for the 11-inch model and at $1,099 for the 12.9-inch model. Color options include Space Gray and Silver, with 128GB, 256GB, 512GB, 1TB, and 2TB storage configurations. Deliveries to customers and in-store availability will begin Wednesday, October 26.

The new iPad Pro models have the same size and weight, display brightness and resolution, and battery life as the previous models, according to Apple's tech specs. There remains a Thunderbolt port, four speakers, Face ID, and a rear Smart Connector on both models. There is also still a physical nano-SIM card tray on cellular models.

Article Link: Apple Announces New iPad Pro With M2 Chip and Other New Features

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: true god

Tozovac

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2014
Nice. Actually kinda excited about the hover feature. Nice to be excited again at a new intro.

MayaUser

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2021
So sad the 11" doesn't get the XDR display. One more year of waiting for the upgrade. The 13" is so freaking huge
Sorry, but if you want a new 11" buy this one...it may be the last 11" ipad pro
I think apple will stick with the ipad air as 11" tablet and the pros goes for 14" same panel as the 14" Mbp

Reactions: aParkerMusic

killhippie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2016
UK
Wi-Fi 6E hahha, iphones 14 series doesnt have it
Considering wifi 6E has less distance to its signal than wifi 6 I dont really think a phone needs it tbh. Not sure an iPad needs it either but there you go, I'll test it with my 6E router, when I get a new iPad and see how many inches away I can get and still have a signal.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.