Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nsbio

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2006
NC
how many USB ports?

Has anyone tried to use both USB ports at the same time, say, plugging two standard USB thumb drives?

My question is whether there is enough physical room between the USB ports to be able to use both at the same time, which is in effect whether there is one or two usable ports in these new machines...

tonysch

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2008
Just wanted to share this with you. A screen shot from the new pixar movie "Bolt"

Attachments

• Snapshot 2008-10-20 15-57-18.jpg
    Snapshot 2008-10-20 15-57-18.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 102

slackpacker

macrumors 6502a
Has anyone tried to use both USB ports at the same time, say, plugging two standard USB thumb drives?

My question is whether there is enough physical room between the USB ports to be able to use both at the same time, which is in effect whether there is one or two usable ports in these new machines...

Yup big problem.... if you have an Ipod shuffle..... you have to remove any usb devices. I have already resigned to the fact that I will have to get some small usb hub or extender with an ultra thin usb connector.

I say this is the only real flaw of the mbp late 2008

scorpiusdeus

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2008
Ventura County, CA
As things change they stay the same.

Since I started looking at Apple their "loyal fan base' has always had a huge percentage of whiners. No matter what Apple does these folks cry in their cork flakes.

Apples nuts, they've lost it, I'm underwhelmed, I'll never buy a new Apple again, blah blah blah.

Some people are just never happy.

I put of buying a Mac for three years after reading so much anger and whining. I'm glad I finally saw past it all and took the plunge.

No company is perfect and non one has the best of all things for all people.

BriChi

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2006
mbp still uses shared video mem???

Is this true, someone read up that the mbp's default video uses shared memory, the only way to get dedicated video memory is to turn on the more powerfull video chip

He added:::

If you read up, one video card is the same as on the new macbooks, it is integrated, the MBP's also have the dedicated video card but one is definitely integrated.

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
Is this true, someone read up that the mbp's default video uses shared memory, the only way to get dedicated video memory is to turn on the more powerfull video chip

He added:::

If you read up, one video card is the same as on the new macbooks, it is integrated, the MBP's also have the dedicated video card but one is definitely integrated.

The default is to have the more powerful card turned on.
Just wanted to share this with you. A screen shot from the new pixar movie "Bolt"

That's actually super neat.

nsbio

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2006
NC
Yup big problem.... if you have an Ipod shuffle..... you have to remove any usb devices. I have already resigned to the fact that I will have to get some small usb hub or extender with an ultra thin usb connector.

I say this is the only real flaw of the mbp late 2008

Thanks. This is not very good. They used to have this design in MBs only and now this has spread to the pro line as well.

This is as bad a flaw as the lack of FW800 on first gen MBPs.

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
Actually, when I received mine, it was set to use the 9400M rather than the 9600M GT.

Ah interesting. It seems a lot of potential buyers would not know about the two GPU architecture, and then get upset when their laptop doesn't work as hard as was advertised. That seems a poor move on Apple's part.

I was under the impression that the faster graphics card would be on by default, because it was stated in some review I read (maybe on macrumors. I don't recall) however that may be because the unit reviewed was a machine sent from Apple with the purpose of being a review unit.

budidi

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2008
Portugal
Ah interesting. It seems a lot of potential buyers would not know about the two GPU architecture, and then get upset when their laptop doesn't work as hard as was advertised. That seems a poor move on Apple's part.

Actually, I think it's better to have the 9400M by default. Otherwise, people would start to forget the "best battery mode", and the machine stays colder and quiet.

UTclassof89

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2008
As things change they stay the same.

Some people are just never happy.

I put of buying a Mac for three years after reading so much anger and whining. I'm glad I finally saw past it all and took the plunge.

No company is perfect and non one has the best of all things for all people.

We just have high standards and expect Apple not to make idiotic design decisions (like the infamous Puck mouse and dragging a floppy to the TRASH to eject it). Making a laptop with a mirror-like screen is simply dumb. (I went to the Apple store last night and noticed they had the lights dimmed to about 50% --I can't decide if they were just saving energy or minimizing the glare on all those new displays!

RHD

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2008
London
Went into a shop on Tottenham Court Road yesterday to look at the new Macbooks.

The one piece casing is very, very nice. Quite a beautiful and very sensible idea. Just really brilliant!

Then there's the shiny screen.
Well, yes, it's shiny alright.
It's very pretty, and you don't have to worry about people poking it at meetings (Die! Die! You poky people at meetings!) but it's not for me because I don't really want to look at my own reflection all day.

Given that I was there about 30 seconds before half the sales staff in the shop, even the security guard, swooped over to help and pounced on me offering to check availability, answer my most complex questions, offer me their first born child etc, I don't think the new Macbooks are flying out of the shops exactly, but at this time in the UK I don't think anything is. I've never seen the shops on Tottenham Court Road so empty.

raydsr

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2008
"....half the sales staff in the shop, even the security guard, swooped over to help and pounced on me offering to check availability, answer my most complex questions, offer me their first born child etc, I don't think the new Macbooks are flying out of the shops exactly....

I've had this same experience here in the states at several different Apple stores. What's up with that? The staff should take it down a notch.

Much worse, I've had sales people admit to me and other staffers that they don't like the "glossy" screen. Honestly is good I guess, but I'm yet to talk to anyone who thinks the "glossy" is an improvement. Maybe Steve Jobs?

budidi

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2008
Portugal
Happens already. OSX runs on all SSE2 machines very well.

But can you run smoothly Final Cut and other heavy applications?? where are the drivers for a fully support of Mac OS to a given GPU / Sound card / etc , that are not defined by apple ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.