Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
The buttonless track pad is a bit misleading... it still has the push button along the bottom of the track pad - its just hidden, and feels and clicks just like you'd expect from the old models.

However, you can click on the right bottom of the track pad and it'll act like a right mouse button.

slackpacker

macrumors 6502a
The buttonless track pad is a bit misleading... it still has the push button along the bottom of the track pad - its just hidden, and feels and clicks just like you'd expect from the old models.

However, you can click on the right bottom of the track pad and it'll act like a right mouse button.

Yup you can't really click anywhere as well. The top part is really not clickable using the hardware button.

So its like a big switch with a hinge at the top.

I'm still getting used to it.

Quillz

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2006
Los Angeles, CA

A better way to explain what it's like is to think of it as a reversed Mighty Mouse. That is, the back half clicks down, instead of the front half, like on the mouse.

strikeinsilence

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2006

That's kind of neat, but I wish that the whole thing pushed down evenly.

ajpl

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2008
icon_surprised.gif
Wow!!!
icon_surprised.gif

Holy ****......you are one paranoid little dude!

I Am Rude...damn straight! But if I wanna be rude to you to make my point, I hardly hafta pose as somebody else to do it!
Nothing to do with paranoia. I just thought it was an odd posting. And as the style of posting was also very similar to yours, I was curious as to the provenance....

ajpl

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2008
Could be. I've never used digital backs.
Yet you're an expert on them! Besides as you don't even bother to read post properly before responding before offering your pearls of wisdom.

I also kept seeing talk about Firewire 400. Bandwidth is THAT much of an issue yet these things don't use Firewire 800? Sorry if I sound so dumb, but it seems to me a $30,000 piece of equipment that is so finicky shouldn't be so poorly designed on that end of things.
Maybe because the backs were designed that way as many computer don't/didn't have FW400.

Someone just got through telling me that Windows is NOT an option in high-end photography and so that's why they're so upset about this Mac business and you seem to be telling me that a PC (or at least one with a PCI bus) running Windows is darn near perfect for it. Which is it?
Both can be true as they don't conflict.
PCs are perfectly fine for high end photography, but if everyone around you uses a Mac as is the case in some areas, using a PC is trickier then.

In any case, you do realize that those of you using this type of equipment are in a tiny minority and that Apple probably doesn't really consider your needs (they don't even seem to consider the needs of the people that DO buy their equipment in large numbers, from what I've seen, but rather it's all about what Steve wants. And what Steve wants, Steve gets! (key the Roger Waters music).
If so, then he will be killing his core market. And the fallout will be somewhat unpleasant for all concerned.
Jobs is a certainly egocentric onanist, who may well bring down what he has built up, yet probably increasing profits at the same time as that is his real concern. Apple make MS look like a charity.
Actually guess what Gates does do with all his money? He's giving it all away to minor things like curing Aids.

PCMacUser

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2005
You don't seem to understand the meaning of the word 'equivalent'. Specs and quality are a different thing altogether. You can have superior specs but lower quality. The solution for you is easy: go buy the Dell - we won't miss you. <anecdote>

Yes, there are things that could be improved. Lack of Firewire is one. But this tiresome comparison between Mac pricing and Dell pricing is fatuous at best, ignorant at worst.

In my defense, I was talking about pricing in New Zealand. In your defense, you probably don't know where that is (nor care).

And yes, I do understand the meaning of the word equivalent. Apple is not known for building quality computers. Please don't make the mistake of believing this. Their revision 1 computers are always disasters. Recently, with faulty screens, overheating cases, faulty batteries, overheating video cards, etc, etc, etc, etc, even their later revision computers have been reliability disasters. Frankly, the two great things about a Macbook Pro compared with an equivalent, yes I use that word, equivalent, Dell, is the sheer beauty of the casing, and the ability to run OS X.

Good day to you, sir.

ajpl

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2008
I think they'll have a solid chuckle at that one... a guy who runs his mouth off constantly about stuff he knows nothing about running and crying to the moderators when he's called on his nonsense by someone remotely knowledgeable.
Obviously, you don't know the difference between discussing something or calling someone on something and just flat out replying with no other intent but to call someone a name. What did you add to this conversation by calling me a blowhard? NOTHING. You replied just to flame and then go on to say you know what you're talking about. You could have fooled me. People that know better don't need to resort to kindergarten behavior.
And yet again you just showed how you struggle with reading and attention to detail. It was a completely different person who called you a blowhard. Not quite able to keep up with the conversation are you.
Here's a tip for you, try reading posts before ranting away.

Here's the 'blowhard' post for you.
My God...you just love to hear yourself talk, don't you?!! I mean, you just basically said nothing of merit or really worth rebutting, yet I feel I have to at least point out to anybody who might think you are worth listening to what a blowhard you are!

ajpl

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2008

Yup you can't really click anywhere as well. The top part is really not clickable using the hardware button.

Actually you can use anywhere on trackpad for a single click or alt click, you just need to play with preferences/get used to it. The defaults suck [as usual] but once tweaked it's really lovely to use.

Ramsav24

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2005
Wisconsin
Sorry if this has been posted before, but I'm not wading through 53 pages to make sure...has anyone used the matte film that is sold by the Apple store-Power Support anti-glare film or something similar? It seems that they've had them out for some time, but there really aren't any reviews. Anyone?

OS X Dude

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
UK
I'm willing to bet that FireWire and matte screens return in the next revision, or if not certainly the one after. It's an easy way for Apple to look like they're "for the people" by giving them what they want, even though they took it away in the first place.

Maybe the removal of these things cuts costs to Apple? Perhaps it's a temporary thing through the recession, I don't know.

Timichango

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2008
Vancouver
Obviously, you don't know the difference between discussing something or calling someone on something and just flat out replying with no other intent but to call someone a name. What did you add to this conversation by calling me a blowhard? NOTHING. You replied just to flame and then go on to say you know what you're talking about. You could have fooled me. People that know better don't need to resort to kindergarten behavior.

Yes, I admit I never used a digital camera back in the post you quoted and you interpret that as 'bull'. Are you wearing opaque glasses or what? I have talked about firewire, not devices that lack enough buffer memory to run reliably on Apple hardware. If either of you don't like the current line up, DON'T BUY IT. It's that simple. You don't want a Hackintosh and don't want to switch platforms? I guess you're screwed then! Why waste time on here if you don't want a solution short of Mr. Jobs making you the laptop design that YOU want? You and your friend don't like anything. You just cry, whine and scream about something you have no control over. Get over it and grow up. Your 'friend' was offered several possible solutions and instead chose to insult almost everyone he 'talked' to because he didn't like what they had to say. He's supposed to be a professional? Maybe he should start acting like one and maybe you should learn to only reply when you actually have something to say rather than to just insult people you don't like. Guess what? I don't like you either. That doesn't mean I have to act like a 12 year old.

My lord, you are ever a sensitive guy... I never insulted you once (it was someone else who called you a blowhard, and calling your answer 'bull' just doesn't qualify as an insult, sorry to say...), and I hate to be the one to point this out, but you're the one giving us the best example of crying, whining, and screaming - you certainly resort to it whenever your 'helpful' suggestions are disputed in any way. Frankly, looking back over your contributions to this conversation, I'm more inclined to think that you're a contrarian who likes to argue, and reacts badly when you get called on it. If I've misinterpreted your intentions, please forgive me, but you certainly lent that impression every time you delivered impassioned suggestions for solutions that didn't make sense, or levied unfounded critiques of gear that you'd had no experience with.

And as I said yesterday, I bear you no ill will - I don't dislike you OR like you: I'm perfectly indifferent. What I don't like is your tantrums when your posturing gets exposed.

But there's an easy solution - let's just call this conversation 'over'.

Timichango

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2008
Vancouver
Sorry if this has been posted before, but I'm not wading through 53 pages to make sure...has anyone used the matte film that is sold by the Apple store-Power Support anti-glare film or something similar? It seems that they've had them out for some time, but there really aren't any reviews. Anyone?

Haven't yet, but I'm definitely going to try out one of these puppies once they get around to re-tooling for the new MBP. For ~ $17, it should be a cheap way to determine whether or not they'll do the trick.

Hm... come to think of it, the old size might be perfect for the new screens... cover the viewing area, but leave the bezel and the iSight uncovered. Might be tricky to align though...

*shrug* who knows? :D

http://www.buyviewguard.com/anti-glare-screen-protectors/index.php?id=VG-31545

ageha

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2008

Sounds awfull. :) I will try it myself on Sunday in the Apple's Sydney store. :apple:

ajpl

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2008

Sounds awfull. :) I will try it myself on Sunday in the Apple's Sydney store. :apple:
It's not awful, it's actually extremely good. Very good indeed and been overlooked with all the deserved negativity regarding rest of 'upgrades'. I really want a trackpad like that now.
This is a poor description by someone who does not know how to correctly use what he is talking about. You can click wherever you want right or left.
Tweak prefs to taste, defaults are as usual the worst set up possible.

ageha

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2008
It's not awful, it's actually extremely good. Very good indeed and been overlooked with all the deserved negativity regarding rest of 'upgrades'. I really want a trackpad like that now.
This is a poor description by someone who does not know how to correctly use what he is talking about. You can click wherever you want right or left.

Can you click without moving the cursor?

Timichango

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2008
Vancouver

I'll concur - I tried one out today at the Apple store in Vancouver, and it was pretty b*tchin'. Feels great, is pretty intuitive if you're used to any other mac trackpad, and the 4-finger gestures for exposé are the dog's bollocks. The fact that you can actually map the bottom-right corner to act as a right mouse click is also great - feels like it should have been there all along.

Screen glossiness aside, the whole machine is supremely impressive hardware. Screen even looks superb if you can maneuver it away from any light sources... :rolleyes:

Can you click without moving the cursor?

Yes. If your first contact with the touchpad is the bottom quarter (roughly), it doesn't immediately engage the cursor, presumably because it's smart enough to assume you want to click it.

Timichango

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2008
Vancouver
Glossy issue aside (big caveat), new MBP rocks. Period.

Just an update - I've mentioned a few times that despite my very serious reservations about the screen design of the new MBPs, I was very likely going to dive in on a new machine. The iBook was dying, and I've got (mercifully understanding) clients that I've been pushing off for 3 weeks waiting to make a decision on new hardware.

Realizing full-well that no-one's likely following this thread anymore, I'll post my impression here, regardless - maybe someone will find them useful.

This morning I got one of the 2.4ghz MBPs, completely stock. I wanted the RAM upgrade, but the RAM's not yet in stock at the Vancouver Apple Store, and they're honoring the web price for me once it comes in. Sweet.

Right off the bat, I'm annoyed, since the mini-displayPort-to-DVI adapter's also not available. This means that being precluded from connecting to my 24" dell screen, I was thrown into the fray with the glossy screen with no alternative, with two hanging client deliverables.

I spent 10 hours today working on the gloss screen. It was a rainy, gray day in Vancouver, and there was only dim, diffuse light coming in through my windows. I work in a room that prevents me from re-orienting - it's long and narrow, and has windows down one side. My desk is a long-narrow affair (a door on top of ikea legs) on the opposite side of the room which relies upon a few l-brackets screwed into the wall-studs for support, and puts my back against the windows, and prevents me from flipping the room layout 180 degrees.

The first thing that I'll say is that even at the dimmest points in the day, working on web design tasks involving a lot of black and dark-grey took some serious adjusting to for 2 reasons. Firstly, even with dim daylight behind me, I could easily check out my crappy hairdo in the darker parts of the screen. Secondly, when I was able to maneuver out of the trajectory of the light-source, I saw more detail in the screen than I've ever seen before.

In short, the screen on this thing is awesome. And horrible. At once. It's obvious to me at this point that there's ultimately a compromise being made when I'm looking at a matte screen. How much more detail am I seeing? Maybe 20%, speaking unscientifically. It's f'n sharp, and I swear I'm seeing a wider color gamut than I've seen before, even when reviewing older designs that I've spent hundreds of hours working on on a matte screen in the recent past. This screen is beautiful. Easily better (and more accurate, when calibrated, so afar as I'm able to determine) than the pair of LaCie CRTs that I owned a few years back.

All of that gain goes away when it gets marginally brighter behind me, and I start trying to peer through reflections, and zooming in more than usual, to scrutinize details at the pixel level on work that I'm performing.

So my end verdict is that under laboratory conditions, yes - glossy is a boon. Sadly, that's ridiculously far from the conditions any laptop is likely to find itself in. Interpret that as you may, but in the end, I'm very likely going to sacrifice a bit of clarity for an increase in usability via a stick-on anti-glare film. It's going to hurt a bit voluntarily paying to cripple the fidelity of this screen in order to gain utility, especially assuming that Apple would be able to better produce a matte solution than a 3rd party sticker is likely to achieve.

Moving right along.

The rest of my review of this machine can be summed up in a handful of words:

"This thing f'n rocks."

Credit where credit is due.

Everything about this computer is pure refinement, and in spite of the screen, I'm glad that I forced myself to finally drop the coin on one after a few years of waiting to do so. The only thing that will eventually pry this machine out of my hands is the release of a matte-screened one.

The new touchpad is stellar, and the gestures are a huge boon to the multi-tasking workflow that I find typical of design work. I spent some time today working on a web-layout in photoshop, and it's the first time that I've been able to do any real precise pixel-editing using a touchpad - the increased size of the touchpad (at least compared to an iBook) is enough that it's doable. Not ideal, but doable. In the end I resorted to my mouse, but still, it was a first.

Sound? In-built speakers are crap. But hey, what were you expecting? Haven't tested the internal output yet, since I'm running an Apogee Duet audio interface at home.

Keyboard? Feels fine to me. Better feel than my iBook keyboard, which felt kinda spongy.

Speed? I haven't put it to task yet for rendering, or any other CPU-intensive tasks, but it definitely feels more responsive than the Quad-Core late-2006 Mac Pro that I've been using at my day-job. I'll bet that the 4core is faster for rendering tasks, but in general usage, the MBP feels sprightly in comparison. Could be rose-colored glasses, but could it also be the higher bus speed? I don't know enough about computer architecture to speculate, but it feels faster. That's all I can say.

Quiet - even in heavy photoshop and music-application usage, it hasn't yet spooled up the fans to a noticeable level. This bodes well for the recording and video tasks that I intend to throw at it. My iBook used to hang out around 60% CPU usage running a basic patch in Guitar Rig - on this machine, it hovers around 5%. Hmmm. Yep. This'll do nicely.

So yeah - (justifiable) bitching aside, this is probably the nicest computer I've ever used, so far.

Shame I'll never be able to use it in a bright environment :rolleyes:

If only it had a matte screen... ;) I'll follow that cause doggedly until the bitter end.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.