Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tosser

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2008
NO! I just wanted to show that we choose many things for their looks, and i gave the example of women (kidding of course). Like my ACER is a big fat hairy guy (horrible) and a new MacBook Pro would be my Adriana Lima :) Looks DO care!
I'm a not a bad person..:rolleyes:

Personally, I never considered it a sexist comment. Contrived, yes, but I got the parallel.

Adjei

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2008
Oh the new Acer... errr... Dell... I mean Fujitsu-Siemens Notebook... oh again wrong, its a Mac.

Well, i digged Macs and Mac Pros for the unique Design but I guess Jobs & Co decided to take one step back from uniqueness and look like aaaall the other notebooks out there on the market. I'm out! :(
Goodbye we won't miss you. :D

Adjei

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2008
Arrghh, I just got depressed looking at Dell's website here in New Zealand.

For the price of a single 2.5GHz Macbook Pro, I could buy TWO equivalent Dell laptops now (except the Dells are better spec'd - 500Gb HDD, higher res screen, etc).

Bye bye for now, Apple.
Goodbye, hope you come back. :D

budidi

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2008
Portugal
I can't really tell if that was meant as a sexist comment or not, but... :mad:

Personally, I never considered it a sexist comment. Contrived, yes, but I got the parallel.

You get the point. Personally I love the new mac's design, but the specs are not that great. I could buy a new horrible Dell (much better than my piece of s*** ACER and btw better than the new MBP, in hardware side). But I prefer to wait to snow leopard, in a much prettier MacBook Pro, adding functionality with looks in a great product, I hope.

Tosser

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2008
Actually, the edit on your post, which now includes ferrari is funny. Yes, the speed limits are the same, but the driving experience is not. Now, I wouldn't buy a ferrari if I could afford it (the cheapest in my country is around 400,000 US dollar). However, I'd buy an Aston Martin in a heartbeat. It's about the experience, and comfort while experiencing said items.

Good on you for not buying into looks but choosing to wait until Apple can actually deliver some tools.
Me, I'm typing this on a MBP - the last mac for me - a mac user through twenty years - my next computer will be a thinkpad. And because form follows function, those are beatiful to me, simply because of the no-nonsense functionality that dictates the form. I like that.

budidi

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2008
Portugal
Me, I'm typing this on a MBP ..

DAMMIT!!! I want one of those for years, like you want an Aston Martin :) I only work for one year (i'm a "recent" engineer) and I'm saving money for that MBP. I already have the money,but no way spending it on a last year "specked" notebook.
I totally agreed with the Aston, but I prefer a Lamborghini Gallardo LP560..it's more spicy.

Tosser

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2008
DAMMIT!!! I want one of those for years, like you want an Aston Martin :) I only work for one year (i'm a "recent" engineer) and I'm saving money for that MBP. I already have the money,but no way spending it on a last year "specked" notebook.
I totally agreed with the Aston, but I prefer a Lamborghini Gallardo LP560..it's more spicy.

The Gallardo is more "youthful", imo, and it's also more "american" (excuse me, cough), as it's quite the "brute" in comparison to most other supercars. I understand why you like it, though, even if I don't.

Luckily, I'm done with my edjumacation and have been for years. I don't spend a lot of money on game consoles, games, tellies, and all that stuff, and compared to my other "gear" (mostly audio related), the MBP wasn't that expensive. What have been expensive, though, have been for me to migrate all my software and so on, so I can switch to a Thinkpad the instant this things dies for real. I will, however, try to make it a dual boot hackintosh to carry me over for a few months. Just in case.

Sorry, that was more info than you wanted.

tourant

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2008
This is the letter I just posted to Apple's MacBook Pro feedback:

"I am an architect who has logged thousands and thousands of hours on design work, 3D modeling, rendering, graphics and presentations on two generations of Powerbooks for the past 7 years (TI for first 4 years, last gen Aluminum for last 3 years), and have been anxiously waiting for the new 'brick' MacBook Pros to come out. I'm also a professor of architectural design at a large college of art and design that has many Mac Pros running Cinema Displays in their computer labs, and that sells hundreds of MacBook Pros to the students. Additionally, I constantly use my Apple laptop to give weekly lectures at my college and presentations of my design work at venues around the globe (with the glowing Apple logo proudly displayed to the audience from the lectern).

But I can tell you first hand that I and almost anyone I know among my many colleagues, and most of the hundreds of students I teach prefer MATTE screens for design/graphics work. By abandoning matte screens in your pro laptops and displays, you are making a potentially grave error, shutting out a huge element of Apple users. It was extremely disheartening to have heard from Jobs and Ives that "a vast majority prefer glossy" and that 'you can just change positions to compensate for glare', as responses to this issue. Just because glossy screens became a fad among PC (consumer) laptops and are popular with SOME consumers including iMac users in no way makes a convincing argument for the elimination of a matte option for all the existing and future pro Apple users -- on the contrary it seems downright disrespectful of the very user base (in both professional and academic design disciplines) that stuck with and strengthened Apple all these years. Please reconsider the elimination of matte screens, or it seems plainly clear Apple will lose many customers in these arenas, and lose respect as makers of true professional computer hardware!

-- probably will fall on deaf ears (if not blind eyes)...

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
That just shows how ignorant you are of the whole process...

Could be. I've never used digital backs.

Another issue is that most digital backs to not have a 95MB buffer of ultra-fast RAM to hold the whole image. They certainly don't have enough buffer
to multitask the data transfer while capturing a new frame. So, usually, you

So you're telling me this $30,000 digital back has all these glitches and problems for lack of memory. You're talking about a 95MB buffer. What's that cost these days? I don't want to make a guess given I don't know the type of memory, etc., but I'd imagine it's pretty low compared to the rest of the price involved. I also kept seeing talk about Firewire 400. Bandwidth is THAT much of an issue yet these things don't use Firewire 800? Sorry if I sound so dumb, but it seems to me a $30,000 piece of equipment that is so finicky shouldn't be so poorly designed on that end of things.

That's manageable with the PCI bus and Windows, because the architecture is built for this. But I can see how the system becomes unstable when you start dragging cables, interfaces, adaptaters and hubs around...

Someone just got through telling me that Windows is NOT an option in high-end photography and so that's why they're so upset about this Mac business and you seem to be telling me that a PC (or at least one with a PCI bus) running Windows is darn near perfect for it. Which is it?

In any case, you do realize that those of you using this type of equipment are in a tiny minority and that Apple probably doesn't really consider your needs (they don't even seem to consider the needs of the people that DO buy their equipment in large numbers, from what I've seen, but rather it's all about what Steve wants. And what Steve wants, Steve gets! (key the Roger Waters music).

And the memory is not the same it is DDR3, the display is not the same (although it is the same panel) it's made of glass, making it much crisper and more rigid. The graphics are no where near the same! There are two graphics cards in the new Macbook Pro, much faster and higher performance than the old one and not so prone to failure.

So you're calling 10-15% faster "nowhere near the same" ? Me thinks you tend to completely exaggerate things. Personally, I chose to buy the old MBP for $1444 (less than the 2nd tier regular new Macbook, but with dual firewire and a matte screen). I am concerned about the Nvidia chip issue, but I won't have to worry about it for two years and I think a better solution will be at hand before then.

SDSPD

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2008
i need help

is there anyway i can get the lowest end macbook cheaper cause im like so close to have enough does futureshop offer the student discount??:apple::apple::apple::confused::confused::(:(

ageha

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2008

"I am an architect who has logged thousands and thousands of hours on design work, 3D modeling, rendering, graphics and presentations on two generations of Powerbooks for the past 7 years (TI for first 4 years, last gen Aluminum for last 3 years), and have been anxiously waiting for the new 'brick' MacBook Pros to come out. I'm also a professor of architectural design at a large college of art and design that has many Mac Pros running Cinema Displays in their computer labs, and that sells hundreds of MacBook Pros to the students. Additionally, I constantly use my Apple laptop to give weekly lectures at my college and presentations of my design work at venues around the globe (with the glowing Apple logo proudly displayed to the audience from the lectern).

But I can tell you first hand that I and almost anyone I know among my many colleagues, and most of the hundreds of students I teach prefer MATTE screens for design/graphics work. By abandoning matte screens in your pro laptops and displays, you are making a potentially grave error, shutting out a huge element of Apple users. It was extremely disheartening to have heard from Jobs and Ives that "a vast majority prefer glossy" and that 'you can just change positions to compensate for glare', as responses to this issue. Just because glossy screens became a fad among PC (consumer) laptops and are popular with SOME consumers including iMac users in no way makes a convincing argument for the elimination of a matte option for all the existing and future pro Apple users -- on the contrary it seems downright disrespectful of the very user base (in both professional and academic design disciplines) that stuck with and strengthened Apple all these years. Please reconsider the elimination of matte screens, or it seems plainly clear Apple will lose many customers in these arenas, and lose respect as makers of true professional computer hardware!

Aple doesn't build professional computer hardware and they do understand that. Apple is a company that focuses on products like iWorks.

Timichango

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2008
Vancouver
Aple doesn't build professional computer hardware and they do understand that. Apple is a company that focuses on products like iWorks.

That's a new trend, my friend - it has not always been that way, and Apple spent years marketing it's very high-quality professional-grade products to creative pros.

Brad Trent

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2008
NYC
"...I've never used digital backs.......you're telling me this $30,000 digital back has all these glitches and problems for lack of memory. You're talking about a 95MB buffer. What's that cost these days? I don't want to make a guess given I don't know the type of memory, etc., but I'd imagine it's pretty low compared to the rest of the price involved. I also kept seeing talk about Firewire 400. Bandwidth is THAT much of an issue yet these things don't use Firewire 800? Sorry if I sound so dumb, but it seems to me a $30,000 piece of equipment that is so finicky shouldn't be so poorly designed on that end of things...........you do realize that those of you using this type of equipment are in a tiny minority and that Apple probably doesn't really consider your needs....."

My God...you just love to hear yourself talk, don't you?!! I mean, you just basically said nothing of merit or really worth rebutting, yet I feel I have to at least point out to anybody who might think you are worth listening to what a blowhard you are! First you take on the entire professional digital imaging industry by letting them know they don't know what they're doing with the designs of their products. Then you show them how smart you are by telling them Firewire 800 would solve all of these nasty design flaws. Finally, you let all of the professional photographers out there who waste their money on these useless paperweights that we are in some way, an untouchable minority and thus, unimportant in the eyes of Apple.

Just stop talking!

BT in NYC

ageha

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2008
That's a new trend, my friend - it has not always been that way, and Apple spent years marketing it's very high-quality professional-grade products to creative pros.

I considered them as pro when Atari and Commodore were still around. But the MBPs were never professional tools even if a lot of people consider them as pro. The MBP cannot compete with a portable workstation from Dell or HP.

Timichango

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2008
Vancouver
My God...you just love to hear yourself talk, don't you?!! I mean, you just basically said nothing of merit or really worth rebutting, yet I feel I have to at least point out to anybody who might think you are worth listening to what a blowhard you are! First you take on the entire professional digital imaging industry by letting them know they don't know what they're doing with the designs of their products. Then you show them how smart you are by telling them Firewire 800 would solve all of these nasty design flaws. Finally, you let all of the professional photographers out there who waste their money on these useless paperweights that we are in some way, an untouchable minority and thus, unimportant in the eyes of Apple.

Just stop talking!

BT in NYC

:D

Wish I was in NYC hombre - I'd love to buy you a frosty pint for that last post... I think we'd get along like gangbusters :)

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
My God...you just love to hear yourself talk, don't you?!! I mean, you just basically said nothing of merit or really worth rebutting, yet I feel I have to at least point out to anybody who might think you are worth listening to what a blowhard you are!

No, I'll just let the moderators deal with people like yourself who can't let other people speak their minds or give opinions without people like yourself with massive egos telling them how stupid they are.

clay5destroyer

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2007

My feelings precisely.

It's a shame one has to wade through the drivel and petty arguments from those who lack any professional experience and who equate their knowledge of motherboards and firewire busses to the years of real world experience of Mac design and imaging pros.

This has been a 2 day/52 page Biden/Palin debate....

Timichango

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2008
Vancouver

I've been thinking about this statement again, and I feel compelled to ask you why, then, did Apple buy Logic Pro from Emagic, and totally redesign it from the ground up? Why did they do the same thing when they turned Macromedia KeyGrip into FinalCut Pro? Why do they keep developing and marketing these software packages, if what you say is true, and their focus is iWorks?

iWorks? Seriously? There are that many people out there dropping cash for Keynote? and Pages? And that's Apple's target market?

Hmmmmmm-don't-think-so. I'm willing to bet that Logic and FinalCut outsell iWork 10-to-1.

I considered them as pro when Atari and Commodore were still around. But the MBPs were never professional tools even if a lot of people consider them as pro. The MBP cannot compete with a portable workstation from Dell or HP.

Which ones?

I had a VAIO desktop replacement that was supposed to be the be-all-end-all of portable workstations - it weighed 10 pounds and sucked. Period. Every Dell and HP I've seen in the same class has been comparably crappy.

The only company, IMO, making computers of nearly the same caliber (if totally different asethetic) as Apple, is Lenovo/IBM's thinkpad line. Those things are awesome. Shame about the boat-anchor called 'windows'.

andrewsd

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2008
USA/BAYERN(bavaria)
fusserrrssss

For one it is APPLE NOT APLE but I make typos myself from time to time.. And they do focus on the professional still but it seems that they don't differiniate enough now.. This is what some people wanted and others hate it.. The sames goes for the screen industry people routted apple for not making it a gloss screen then a whole bunch of people on the forum boards started to do what they do best and complain and now that there all glossy theres more complaining.. I hate the gloss but oh well and I do think that they will eventually have an option if not just get the non gloss screen protectors..Although I am with everyone else on the firewire just becaue it would be nice to have a 13" screen with non intergrated graphics and firewire but hey at least my macbook does and to be honest in my expierence not that many people use it.. especially firewire 400 just seems like something for people to fuss about.;):apple:

Timichango

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2008
Vancouver
No, I'll just let the moderators deal with people like yourself who can't let other people speak their minds or give opinions without people like yourself with massive egos telling them how stupid they are.

I think they'll have a solid chuckle at that one... a guy who runs his mouth off constantly about stuff he knows nothing about running and crying to the moderators when he's called on his nonsense by someone remotely knowledgeable.

You need to learn the difference between being called on your own bull, and being mistreated, mon frere.

Take. A. Chill. Pill.

And try to have a bit of humility about subjects you don't know anything about - you might learn something instead of arousing the ire of the people who do.

SDSPD

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2008
Better?

would it be better to buy a refub. black macbook 2.4 ghz 2 gigs ram and 250 gig hard Drive.................... $1199 CAD

or a new macbook 2.0ghz 2 gigs ram and 160 gig hard drive.........$1399 CAD
:confused::confused::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple:

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
I think they'll have a solid chuckle at that one... a guy who runs his mouth off constantly about stuff he knows nothing about running and crying to the moderators when he's called on his nonsense by someone remotely knowledgeable.

Obviously, you don't know the difference between discussing something or calling someone on something and just flat out replying with no other intent but to call someone a name. What did you add to this conversation by calling me a blowhard? NOTHING. You replied just to flame and then go on to say you know what you're talking about. You could have fooled me. People that know better don't need to resort to kindergarten behavior.

You need to learn the difference between being called on your own bull, and being mistreated, mon frere.

Yes, I admit I never used a digital camera back in the post you quoted and you interpret that as 'bull'. Are you wearing opaque glasses or what? I have talked about firewire, not devices that lack enough buffer memory to run reliably on Apple hardware. If either of you don't like the current line up, DON'T BUY IT. It's that simple. You don't want a Hackintosh and don't want to switch platforms? I guess you're screwed then! Why waste time on here if you don't want a solution short of Mr. Jobs making you the laptop design that YOU want? You and your friend don't like anything. You just cry, whine and scream about something you have no control over. Get over it and grow up. Your 'friend' was offered several possible solutions and instead chose to insult almost everyone he 'talked' to because he didn't like what they had to say. He's supposed to be a professional? Maybe he should start acting like one and maybe you should learn to only reply when you actually have something to say rather than to just insult people you don't like. Guess what? I don't like you either. That doesn't mean I have to act like a 12 year old.

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
would it be better to buy a refub. black macbook 2.4 ghz 2 gigs ram and 250 gig hard Drive.................... $1199 CAD

or a new macbook 2.0ghz 2 gigs ram and 160 gig hard drive.........$1399 CAD
:confused::confused::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple:

Depends. Do you rely on firewire? Do you need a good graphics card? What do you use your computer for?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.