Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today announced that the Oceanic+ app is available for the Apple Watch Ultra starting today. Designed by Huish Outdoors in collaboration with Apple, the app serves as a dive computer for recreational scuba diving at depths up to 40 meters/130 feet.

Apple-Watch-Ultra-Oceanic-Plus-App.jpg

Apple already offers a basic Depth app on the Apple Watch Ultra for viewing your current depth, maximum depth reached, water temperature, and duration under water. For scuba divers looking for more advanced data, the Oceanic+ app is a useful tool.

Oceanic+ indicates a diver's current depth, dive time, no-decompression time, water temperature, time to surface, maximum depth, ascent speed, battery level, gas mix selected (air or Nitrox mix up to 40%), and more. The app also has color-coded safety warnings for no-decompression limit, excessive ascent rates, and safety stop guidance.

Other features of the app include haptic feedback and watch face complications for no-fly time, surface time, quick access to the dive planner, dive settings, current elevation, maximum elevation allowed, and a quick access button back into the app.

Apple-Watch-Ultra-Oceanic-App-2.jpg

The app is available on the App Store and requires an Apple Watch Ultra running watchOS 9.1 or later paired with an iPhone 8 or later running iOS 16.1 or later. The app's basic plan is free and includes many common dive functions, including depth, time, and a log of most recent dives. For $9.99 per month or $79.99 per year, users get access to decompression tracking, tissue loading, unlimited logbook capacity, and more.

After a dive, data such as GPS entry and exit locations is shown on the watch, along with a summary of the user's dive profile. A companion Oceanic+ app for the iPhone provides more detailed post-dive summaries, tides over the next three days, and more.

Oceanic-Plus-App-iPhone.jpg

Apple says to always follow diving protocols, dive with a companion, and have a secondary device.

Article Link: Apple Announces Oceanic+ App Now Available for Apple Watch Ultra

Last edited:
Reactions: mhnd

ProfessionalFan

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2016
Sounds like a good service for those into it. I'm interested in seeing some reviews on it.

On a related note, where can I find that blue watch band pictured there?! I don't see that color on Apple's website.

Edit: The picture changed now. Earlier there was a beautiful sea blue watch band pictured. It isn't the Midnight one
Screenshot 2022-11-28 at 10.53.44 AM.png

Last edited:

dantracht

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2013
If I was a diver, and I'm not (couldn't get past the pool part of the training in Cancun once) I doubt very highly I'd be taking my $800 AW Ultra on a dive with me.

That's just me. I've talked myself out of the Ultra 4 times already and have decided to wait to see what next year brings.

I also know nothing about diving, aside from what is discussed in Dirk Pitt novels.

If you're into this sort of thing, good on ya..

ProfessionalFan

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2016
If your into scuba diving, $79 is almost nothing to enable a lot of new functionality with your watch

Of course, I could see some people with very tight finances complaining about this
But then again, it is unlikely people with very tight finances would buy an AW Ultra in the first place. If you can afford the watch, you likely can easily afford this service which enhances the experience.

ProfessionalFan

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2016
Heck, if I have to do any work around the house I take my AW off for fear of scratching it, so this is a "just me" reason.
Oh I'm the same way with my stainless steel one since I kept reading how the case scratches easily. But I thought the Ultra was built like a tank.

Red Oak

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2011
If I was a diver, and I'm not (couldn't get past the pool part of the training in Cancun once) I doubt very highly I'd be taking my $800 AW Ultra on a dive with me.

That's just me. I've talked myself out of the Ultra 4 times already and have decided to wait to see what next year brings.

I also know nothing about diving, aside from what is discussed in Dirk Pitt novels.

Thanks for sharing all that. Very insightful

ersan191

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2013

$800 is nothing compared to most dive equipment.

dantracht

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2013
Oh I'm the same way with my stainless steel one since I kept reading how the case scratches easily. But I thought the Ultra was built like a tank.
I've heard it is as well, but it's so bulky I'd worry twice as much about knocking it into a wall or something.

christian.terra

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2014
the good thing about the stainless steel watch is you can always buff out scratches (as long as they're not too deep). Can't do that with the other finishes.

Reactions: 4odomi

JM

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2014
Umm EXCUSE ME. I would like to take my series 0 gold Apple Watch scuba diving thank you. I paid thousands of dollars for this device.

I expect to be treated as such. Apple is so exclusionary 😤

• Disagree
Reactions: 4odomi

ProfessionalFan

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2016
I'm so sad that nobody ever knows where that blue watch band is from, I keep seeing it used in marketing but can't find it anywhere.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.