Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

202928-ping.jpg

Apple today announced that over one million users have joined Ping, the company's new social networking feature focused on music and built into iTunes 10. According to Apple, one-third of the people who have downloaded iTunes 10 in its first 48 hours of availbility have joined Ping.
"One-third of the people who have downloaded iTunes 10 have joined Ping," said Eddy Cue, Apple's vice president of Internet Services. "As many more people download iTunes 10 in the coming weeks, we expect the Ping community to continue growing."
Ping has been receiving mixed reviews from users so far, as well as having to deal with several early issues involving a premature launch of Facebook Connect integration and a spam problem.

Article Link: Apple Announces One Million Ping Users in First Two Days

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
and there will be about 1,000,000 unused "Ping" accounts after the weekend... seriously though, what good is "Ping" if you can not connect to other social networks and you can't even use applications such as "Address Book" to automatically search and add friends? I registered but lost interest.

kernkraft

macrumors 68020
Jun 25, 2009
I don't want to upgrade. I stopped using Facebook, I don't 'do' MySpace, I couldn't care less about sharing anything with anyone (apart from a bit of moaning here, on Macrumors).

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
and there will be about 1,000,000 unused "Ping" accounts after the weekend... seriously though, what good is "Ping" if you can not connect to other social networks and you can't even use applications such as "Address Book" to automatically search and add friends? I registered but lost interest.

'zactly. It's a great start but it needs better integration with other networking sites and better integration within iTunes itself. I'd rather have a little ticking feed at the bottom of iTunes with Ping info, rather than having to use the current Ping page.

LanPhantom

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2007
Hooper, UT
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A400 Safari/6531.22.7)

Ping - Pong.... I wonder how many people will waste away there days watching what their "friends" are listening to.

Get back to work!

LanPhantom

Unique Visuals

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2007
In the woods
minus my account that I cancelled right after seeing it was a fail. I reverted back to 9.2 and content with it. 10 has way too many problems/eyesores for me.

interestedabit

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2006
FFS i am saying it right here right now.. apple turns everything to gold.

Cast your mind back to the negativity here years and years ago - ipod?? Pah what a failure. We all know what happened..

Last year and this, the comedical - hahahaha ipad, a tampon!! Apple fail!!! You know who you are as there is a record here. Making millions per day and selling like hot cakes - even those that were negative now say (in general) - ok great product.

so... now they make this ping thing. I was a bit.. hmm about it but you know it will take off. One million in one day?!?

I love the argument of the weak. Just add fanboy to a sentence. So childish. Such hidden agendas.

I'm strictly love hate with apple, i love my mbp laptop but I also could not give up my pc desktop environment.

So every time they make a new logo, product and you think NO PHORKING WAY WILL THIS MAKE IT.. it probably will. Apple is genius. Love it or hate it. Personally sometimes I love it sometimes I don't but I am very happy it exists. Wouldn't go near it for gaming though.

XciteMe

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2009
Santa Monica, CA
There is literally NOTHING to do or interact with, on Ping. I know, I know, it just launched 2 days ago, but it's a barren wasteland with like 20 artists to follow, and no real integration with Facebook, MySpace, etc. They should have worked on it more, let it grow more before they released it.

JeffDM

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2006
I'm one of those million. They need a better way to deal with the spam. And a way to report it, the report function seems to only work on the post the spam is replying to.

I would like a way to get rid of the Ping icon in the left side bar without having to get rid of the iTunes store icon too.

Roofy.

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2009
FFS i am saying it right here right now.. apple turns everything to gold.

Cast your mind back to the negativity here years and years ago - ipod?? Pah what a failure. We all know what happened..

Last year and this, the comedical - hahahaha ipad, a tampon!! Apple fail!!! You know who you are as there is a record here. Making millions per day and selling like hot cakes - even those that were negative now say (in general) - ok great product.

so... now they make this ping thing. I was a bit.. hmm about it but you know it will take off. One million in one day?!?

I love the argument of the weak. Just add fanboy to a sentence. So childish. Such hidden agendas.

I'm strictly love hate with apple, i love my mbp laptop but I also could not give up my pc desktop environment.

So every time they make a new logo, product and you think NO PHORKING WAY WILL THIS MAKE IT.. it probably will. Apple is genius. Love it or hate it. Personally sometimes I love it sometimes I don't but I am very happy it exists. Wouldn't go near it for gaming though.

I agree with you but I dont think this Ping thing will go very far.

utazdevl

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2008
This means the 1,000,000 people in the last to days have said "Yeah, well this is lame. Now what?"

Ditch Ping and bring back colors.

dmm219

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2008
but are they any more ARTISTS to follow? Last I checked there were only like 14 artists to follow. and they all sucked.

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009
...and the social media cancer grows a little more.

The demise of FB will be the single greatest achievement to date in this century. Suddenly 500 million people will wake up one morning, walk outside and say hello to their neighbor. Or was that a movie?:D

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
The demise of FB will be the single greatest achievement to date in this century. Suddenly 500 million people will wake up one morning, walk outside and say hello to their neighbor. Or was that a movie?:D

I think for some that was an episode of the Twilight Zone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.